Feedhorn Cover

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ray65251

Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Hello all I am going to be setting up my c-band but someone made off with my feed horn cover can I put a small plastic bag on the feed horn?

ray65251 said:
Hello all I am going to be setting up my c-band but someone made off with my feed horn cover can I put a small plastic bag on the feed horn?

I do not use one so there is no big deal, just make sure all connections are water sealed, and yes you can use a bag if you wish.

tdti1 said:
I do not use one so there is no big deal, just make sure all connections are water sealed, and yes you can use a bag if you wish.

How about a plastic bucket , if you can find one of the right size ?

Wyr

I lost my cover a few months ago, and just left it off! We had a big storm, water got in..................... RIP C_band LNBF :( Any kind of cover is better than nothing!

If you're talking about the little 2" or so cap that snaps onto the center of the feedhorn, I would definitely get it replaced or covered. It's primary purpose is to keep wasp out, a wasp nest will block reception.
If you're talking about the weather cover for the feedhorn/lnb assembly, it doesn't really matter.

Al

I agree with Al, you should at least have the cap. I couldn't change polarities, when I checked the cap it had dry rotted and had a good size hole in it and the feedhorn was full of wasp. Couple of squirts of Raid and all was well. I used a piece of nylon stocking until I got a new cap. As for a cover, I leave it uncovered during the summer and put a plastic bag over it during the winter. Used to use duct tape, but the plastic ties are much better (eaiser to get off). My reasoning is that rain will run off and dry pretty quick during the summer, but snow will stick to it and could be there the duration of the winter.

ray65251 said:

The feed throat cap should be on at all times, I thought you meant the nose cone.

Last edited:
Yep...expensive though

I would never argue with the pros here but I always have had a cover on mine. Skyvision is $30 for black one. THINK I PAID $25 10 YRS AGO...INFLATION! We get a lot of snow and even some heavy wind and rain at certain times (even in the desert of Reno NV!)

SEARCH AROUND USING GOOGLE...NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU WILL FIND!

After 10+ covered years, there was no corosion AT ALL (WENT INSIDE TO CHANGE A SERVO MOTOR) and everything looked great! ONCE I GOT RID OF THE HUGE WASP NEST THE LITTLE BUGGERS HAD BUILT INSIDE THE COVER AND SURROUNDED THE LNB'S!!!!

JEFF

Covers do two main things. They keep water and sunlight off the LNB and feedhorn. If you are handy I am sure you can make one out of plastic. Keep an eye on stuff you throw out or go to a hardware store for and look for things that you can turn into one. I am not sure what kind of plasic hold up to sunlight, water, and heat?

Good luck

ray65251 said:

Cover for LNB

ken2400 said:
Covers do two main things. They keep water and sunlight off the LNB and feedhorn. If you are handy I am sure you can make one out of plastic. Keep an eye on stuff you throw out or go to a hardware store for and look for things that you can turn into one. I am not sure what kind of plasic hold up to sunlight, water, and heat?
Good luck

I would spend the $30...looks professional and whatever they are made of, has lasted me 10+ yrs ....this dish has had only 2 covers in 25 yrs. Very hot summers ....90+, VERY intense desert (Reno) sunlight at 5000ft, and cold wet winters! 1st one cracked open after about 12 yrs (made by Winegard)

Unfortunately, I found out that wasps love to build nests inside too!!!
Jeff

I have a BRAND NEW feedhorn lnb cover (will work on any feedhorn and will cover all lnb's) and 2 NEW actuator motor covers and a New Chaparral servo motor which I will sell. all includeing shipping for 35 us. Can't seem to post a new thread.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)