Feeling Frustrated

Status
Please reply by conversation.

O'Doyle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Ridgeland, South Carolina
Hey all...feeling a bit frustrated....as I have posted in the past, I had finally mounted the 10ft. channel master mesh dish I had and was working on dialing it in to my fist signal. Guess we had some good winds here where I am and what I thought was a good foundation of concrete was not so good, long story short...dish fell over and came off pole also...so I was going to attempt another run at it. I came home the other day and to my surprise and shock someone or some people had apparently noticed it being down on the ground and decided they were going to take it! So if anyone somewhat close to where I am has an 10ft. mesh dish that they are not using and would like to maybe sell....Let me know...Thanks guys and gals! My location is Ridgeland, South Carolina 29936

Hey all...feeling a bit frustrated....as I have posted in the past, I had finally mounted the 10ft. channel master mesh dish I had and was working on dialing it in to my fist signal. Guess we had some good winds here where I am and what I thought was a good foundation of concrete was not so good, long story short...dish fell over and came off pole also...so I was going to attempt another run at it. I came home the other day and to my surprise and shock someone or some people had apparently noticed it being down on the ground and decided they were going to take it! So if anyone somewhat close to where I am has an 10ft. mesh dish that they are not using and would like to maybe sell....Let me know...Thanks guys and gals! My location is Ridgeland, South Carolina 29936
Sorry to hear about your dish. It's getting so you have to put watch dogs or an armed guard on these things. That's twice now in the past few months I've heard of someone's dish being stolen. If you can get another try what Titanium suggested in this thread when another member's dish was stolen:
How do I get started (Post 235 is Titanium's suggestion for a dish security system ;))

Oh no thats terrible.

Sorry to hear that. It's the same reason I have cameras up all along the house and keep a gun handy at all doors. As you can see, I have multiple dishes up, but all are inside a chain link fence with cameras on them. The people around here know I'll shoot them, so I don't have much trouble with thieves. You may want to consider getting a surveillance system. You can watch it on your smart phone when you're not at home. :)

Reactions: danristheman
Frustrated, indeed, that sucks. When you get another dish, maybe throw up a few security cameras that are real visible to anyone coming into your yard, cameras are a great deterrent to that kind of low life crap.

Before I had cameras setup here people would wander into our yard looking at my dishes, an old truck I have here, boat and mess with our horses, etc, even though we have the property posted and equine facility signs everywhere.

One Saturday I got up about six in the morning and as I'm standing in our kitchen in boxers and T-shirt making coffee, I look out our back window and there's this moron over by my dishes, which are way far from the road.

Another time we came home and there's a note in our mailbox with a phone number asking to call if we want to sell stuff, some stuff that was in closed up buildings, the guy had poked around through everything here. We were constantly dealing with idiots stopping to pet our horses, or feeding them stuff. A few things went missing and we put up cameras and all of that nonsense stopped, haven't had any problems since.

Sorry to hear about your dish, hope this new one you're looking at works out!

Reactions: N6BY and wvman
Well, that stinks. Stealing a mans dish, is just getting really low!

Says something about society, when we all have to set up surveillance systems on our own property and have to monitor it fairly well. My wife could never understand why I feel the way I do about my fellow man (in general). But then she got a job where she had to deal with John Q. Public and she quickly figured it out.

Yes there is decent stuff to watch on Ku. NBC, Cozi, PBS and more.

I have searched around on craigslist and located a 12ft. Orbitron mesh button hook about 5 hours away and he is saying if I come and help take it down I can have it for free!
5 hours is definitely not next door, but a 12 footer might be worth the drive... I would seriously consider it!

BTW I admire your restrain in saying "feeling a bit frustrated". This is really enraging!

Before I had cameras setup here people would wander into our yard looking at my dishes, an old truck I have here, boat and mess with our horses, etc, even though we have the property posted and equine facility signs everywhere.

Andy,

I thought all was peaceful and safe up there in your neck of the woods. ;)
Seriously...that "hillbilly factor" living out in the sticks, is the only drawback to living in such a rural and beautiful area.
I feel bad for O'Doyle.

John

Reactions: . Raine
Was it still straight after falling over? I can't imagine it would have been true after taking a fall but having it stolen is really insult to injury.
We live in a tourist town where we get a million tourists and don't have to lock our doors but get occasional beer cans in the garden by my dish. I've worried a little that some drunk will climb up my dish, but it hasn't happened yet.

Having said that, a couple years ago a guy on the other side of the island blew himself up stealing live power lines. Darwin awards are handed out all the time.

I'd check out the scrap yards and ask around with your neighbors and see if they know who was snooping around the area for scrap metal.

Frustrated, indeed, that sucks. When you get another dish, maybe throw up a few security cameras that are real visible to anyone coming into your yard, cameras are a great deterrent to that kind of low life crap.

One Saturday I got up about six in the morning and as I'm standing in our kitchen in boxers and T-shirt making coffee, I look out our back window and there's this moron over by my dishes, which are way far from the road.

Another time we came home and there's a note in our mailbox with a phone number asking to call if we want to sell stuff, some stuff that was in closed up buildings, the guy had poked around through everything here. We were constantly dealing with idiots stopping to pet our horses, or feeding them stuff. A few things went missing and we put up cameras and all of that nonsense stopped, haven't had any problems since.

Sorry to hear about your dish, hope this new one you're looking at works out!

I'm amazed at the stuff people will steal. I live 8 miles out in the country and have had people show up at my door a 2AM asking if they can use the telephone. They claim to be broke down. I tell them I'll call someone to get them help. Had one guy try to force his way in, but he changed his mind when he was looking down the barrel of a 45ACP. If they're brazen enough to steal a dish out of someone's yard, they'll do just about anything.

Reactions: . Raine and FTA4PA
I have searched around on craigslist and located a 12ft. Orbitron mesh button hook about 5 hours away and he is saying if I come and help take it down I can have it for free!

You may put an ad in the local swap and shop paper, if you have one. That's how I located 2 of mine. Tip, never ask what they want for it. Ask them if they'd like to have it out of their way. Usually, they'll tell you to come and get it rather than ask for money. Makes it sound like you're doing them a favor. :)

Reactions: Brct203
You may put an ad in the local swap and shop paper, if you have one. That's how I located 2 of mine. Tip, never ask what they want for it. Ask them if they'd like to have it out of their way. Usually, they'll tell you to come and get it rather than ask for money. Makes it sound like you're doing them a favor. :)
I agree. Don't offer anything. To them its worth it to have someone take it away.

I like to say all at once "Are you using it? Can I have it?" So far they just say "Sure" because its obvious they aren't using it and they answered that in their head and have no reason to keep it, so they say OK to the "Can I have it" part. So far so good. I got both my BUDs and all my small dishes this way.

I always tell people that I'll be restoring it to use it again and not scrapping it for profit. They like that it'll be used again and you're not making money off scrapping the thing that they paid thousand of $$$$ for.

Reactions: Brct203
I live in a good area, so no worries of theft here. One of my aunt's who lives in the country side got all of her chickens stolen in one night. That sucked

Status
Please reply by conversation.