Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, as it were, 2H/0J would have been cheaper in monthly fees than 2 722s. This price increase just brings the Hopper more in line with the old ViP-style fee structure. I doubt that the fees will go any higher anytime soon. Who knows, though.

Even after the price increase, for those that use a dual tuner DVR in single user mode, the price is still better by $3 and you get an additional tuner and additional features. For most people they will not want $14 per Hopper and it would sway them from getting an additional one. To add a second television off of the receiver vs. the 722 is $21 vs $17 making it $4 higher although you have a third tuner now for that additional television to serve it.

The mistake they are making here is asking for that $7 premium for that third tuner.

The price increase hasn't gone into effect yet, but there will be an increase on the equipment. This is to reflect the costs associated with providing all the features that come with the Hopper. Much like how a regular solo receiver is $7, but a Duo is $14, or a Duo DVR is $17. The increase will only affect the whole-home DVR fee, and the Hopper. Joey's will remain at $7. This takes effect as of May 22nd.

I was foolish enough to add a second hopper that was a big mistake, I understand the yearly fee increase for programming, why take this reeiver increase out on your current customers, I can understand adding receiver fees to new customers. What does it cost to get out of a contract this is very unfair!!!!!!

Nothing in there talks about charging per extra box.

Exactly, Netflix has been talking for years about charging more for more available streams, but nothing about extra boxes. As a matter of fact, when I first signed up with them, you could have as many active streams going on as dvd's you had in your by mail plan. I see nothing new here. That's why I asked about a link. I want to see who is posting this info.

Guess I will never understand the concept of making up the extra charge by dropping channels.. Somehow getting less for more money just doesn't sound fair. I think that more people are going to have to band together to let Dish know that this is not acceptable.. I understand programming price increases are a necessity. But these receiver fee increases are nothing more than a "Because we want to" fee..

So if you need a service call will Dish let you add the Protection Plan at the same time or should you join the plan the day before? What is the charge if you have or don't have the plan? What about if you have to send a Hopper or Joey back to be swapped out, is it better just to pay for the shipping?

Has anyone answer this question? I'm interested to know myself how this would work. I like to drop my PP also.
Ghpr13

So if a hopper costs $300 to make then at a lease price of $50 down and $7 per month, it takes about 36 months for Dish to recoop their costs. At $100 down and $7 per month, it takes about 28 months to recoop costs. At $100 down and $14 per month it take about 15 month to recoop costs. With all this switching from Hopper to Hopper with sling The 15 month model is needed. Anyone who buys their equipment and still pays the lease fees is not very good at finance or has a very special use need that they must pay for.

Perhaps Dish started charging the fees in part to recover their additional cost of doing DVR, multiple tuners, etc. Now they are probably raising the fees to make a profit / more profit or plans on upgrading their receivers more often to keep up in the industry. Kind of like cell phone companies, get a new phone every two years. Maybe Dish is going to start doing satellite in this manner to help keep churn down offering either the new receiver or they could offer a promotion instead in the amount that it would cost Dish to do the upgrade which could make up for some of those fees.

The fees Dish Network is charging to make up for the cost of that receiver is being made up during the time they are a customer BUT they get that receiver back to be reused so they are essentually making money off of you before your contract runs out. If they factor in using the returned receivers to replace the bad ones then at least they are reducing their operating costs. They are making sure they get their money back in those two years though. Heck, even the retailers are on the hook for their payments so it seems like no risk to Dish.

I was foolish enough to add a second hopper that was a big mistake, I understand the yearly fee increase for programming, why take this reeiver increase out on your current customers, I can understand adding receiver fees to new customers. What does it cost to get out of a contract this is very unfair!!!!!!

?? Just return the 2nd the Hopper.

My fee to leave is 175.00. My contract is up in January of next year. I'm either getting comcast or directv. The dispute with Disney is getting old. Dish is more concerned about their possible sprint acquisition than they are about customer satisfaction. Without the dvr and whole home fees I'd most likely stick around but I know dish will never eliminate them.

Exactly, Netflix has been talking for years about charging more for more available streams, but nothing about extra boxes. As a matter of fact, when I first signed up with them, you could have as many active streams going on as dvd's you had in your by mail plan. I see nothing new here. That's why I asked about a link. I want to see who is posting this info.

+1

So if you need a service call will Dish let you add the Protection Plan at the same time or should you join the plan the day before? What is the charge if you have or don't have the plan? What about if you have to send a Hopper or Joey back to be swapped out, is it better just to pay for the shipping?

You can add the PP the moment that you need a service call. As in during the same conversation when you are setting up an appointment. Without PP tech visits are $95 a pop. With PP it's $0-$15 + 4 months of PP @ $7 per month. If you cancel the PP before 4 months, there is a $25 fee. So I just don't have the PP until I need a service call.

Sometimes if you're lucky you can get a free tech visit even without the PP. my last service call was totally free and no PP required.

Typically though, I just leave the PP off and add it when I need a service call. Then 4 months later remove the PP.

As for receiver shipping, that is $17, however sometimes you can get it free even without the PP. 4 months of PP is $28 so if you only have one receiver failure then the $17 is still cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Even after the price increase, for those that use a dual tuner DVR in single user mode, the price is still better by $3 and you get an additional tuner and additional features. For most people they will not want $14 per Hopper and it would sway them from getting an additional one. To add a second television off of the receiver vs. the 722 is $21 vs $17 making it $4 higher although you have a third tuner now for that additional television to serve it.

The mistake they are making here is asking for that $7 premium for that third tuner.

2 722 = $7 + $17 = $24

2 Hopper = $14 + $14 = $28

So still higher but I think that Hopper is worth the extra $4 by a long shot.

Are you talking about just two TVs? For one thing, 722 TV2 really isn't comparable to a Joey as it is just old-fashioned SD. So if TV2 were HD then you'd be making some sacrifices for that money saved, on top of the sacrificed extra SAT tuner, interface and HDD space.

722 2 TV = $7
Hopper 2 TV = $14 + $7 = $21
Difference = $14

Now, if you're talking about an additional Hopper + Joey vs an additional 722 then your math is right.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

AH, I understand the $4 now. Thank you for the clarification.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts