Female high school punter throws 52-yard touchdown on fake punt

It was barely a ten yard bobble, but it was a 52 yard touchdown play. It seems to be more and more popular in college and pro football to call it that way and to some extent, it is important as it did lead to a big run. In this case, the run was a much bigger deal than the pass.

It was barely a ten yard bobble, but it was a 52 yard touchdown play. It seems to be more and more popular in college and pro football to call it that way and to some extent, it is important as it did lead to a big run. In this case, the run was a much bigger deal than the pass.

The reason it is called that way is because it is put in the stat book as 52 passing yards. A quarterback can throw a screen pass that is caught behind the line of scrimmage in their own endzone but if the running back scores a touchdown it would still go into the stat book as a 100 passing yards for the quarterback and 100 receiving yards for the running back.

As long as the receiver is further down the field than the quarterback (not a lateral) they are considered passing yards.

As others have said though, the credit for this play should go to the receiver. It was a really impressive run with several broken tackles. The punter did her job and that is important but if she wasn't a girl the receiver would be getting all the credit and this wouldn't be a headline outside of local news to begin with.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I appreciate where this new system seems to infer credit belongs; especially since it seems to have been a designed play that keyed off of a pretty poor lob.

I'm of a school where a touchdown pass is one that is received in the end zone and the length of a pass is the distance between where it was thrown and where it was caught but I acknowledge that's not the popular thinking.

By all means, credit to the kicker for the completion (although the receiver had a lot to do with it) but the real credit belongs to the receiver for the great run downfield after an inauspicious start.

Reactions: fhsucade07

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)