few questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
What happened to the weather channel overlay for local on the 8s. I saw it for a few times then I had a storm where I had to reset my receivers. I got active up and running on both receivers but for some reason the overlay is missing. Not that it was special especially since it was see through.
Also will the new local channels bill allow directv to offer significantly viewed channels to customers like cable does?
Lastly how can I find out who my installer was? They didn't leave any paperwork with their name

I haven't seen local channels on TWC for a while. Significantly viewed channels have been available for years, just not in many areas. Cable plays by different rules. Call Directv to find out who your installer was.

I know with Comcast I got MOST of the Pittsburgh locals since they were significantly viewed in addition to the wheeling/Steubenville locals.
Was the Local on the 8s overlay just a fluke or did I do something to accidentally disable it?
Also is there a way to look up the installer online?

Why would my installer give me the large genie box and how can I get the smaller box ( I guess it's wireless supposedly)? I have the hr 34-700
Lastly did I make the right choice going with the genie and genie mini for my 2 room apartment?

Last edited:
The Genie and clients are a fine setup for a 2 bedroom appt. You likely received they large Genie (HR34) as they are working through them before using the HR44, which is smaller.

To DirecTV they are just considered a Genie, the installer can use either. They may not even have HR44 yet if they have HR34 in their warehouse.

Minimial differences on the two, the HR44 is a little faster, smaller, has built-in wifi (though this can be added to the HR34 with a external unit), and they use different remotes. Both are 1TB recording, 5 tuners, etc, and use the same software.

Why would my installer give me the large genie box and how can I get the smaller box ( I guess it's wireless supposedly)? I have the hr 34-700
Lastly, did I make the right choice going with the genie and the genie mini for my 2 room apartment?
One answer=Installers don't know where they are going each day until they are given address #1. Sometimes they don't get a whole day activity until it is assigned enroute. So he wasn't doing it to you.You got what was issued. Even DirecTV does not promise specific equipment. They provide equipment that will provide the programming you ordered along with any other services. So the installer gave you what you got because. Just because. Good luck getting an eq swap unless there is a defect. :doh: UNLESS THERE IS A DEFECT!

Joe

Last edited:
weird. My 8 on the 8's works fine on the HR34. I just have to be on weather channel a minute or so before that for the overlay to work

Is it through the satellite signal or internet? I haven't had my dvr connected for a while.

Huh, it's working fine now in hd. I haven't checked it in a while. It may have been working for weeks/months!

then why doesn't mine work on genie or genie mini? Is my equipment defective? Am I messing a setting somewhere? It comes up press red button for local forecast when I bring up the weather channel but the overlay worked for a few times then that was it.

maybe there is no zip code entered?

After I hit the red button I put my zip in and said "save as home".....seems to work fine

I know with Comcast I got MOST of the Pittsburgh locals since they were significantly viewed in addition to the wheeling/Steubenville locals.
Was the Local on the 8s overlay just a fluke or did I do something to accidentally disable it?
Also is there a way to look up the installer online?

These are NOT 'significantly viewed' channels.
Cable tv companies are under strict 'must carry' regulations.
These regulations are dictated by distance from transmitters to the cable tv head end.
For example....In New Jersey, cable subs in the northern third of the state receive their locals out of NYC...Those in the southern third, from Philadelphia.
For customers located at the edges of the NYC and PHL market areas, both cities locals are received.
Satellite companies are not under the same 'must carry' regulations. When carriage rules were set for locals delivered by satellite, the decision was to use boundaries set by AC Nielsen. This company decides the boundaries of what are known as "Designated Market Areas" (DMA's)...For the most part these DMA boundaries are determined by zip codes. On occasion, these boundaries are adjusted using a number of criteria. Mostly viewing preferences and other factors
To illustrate...There was a thread a while back where a customer of one of the Satcos who lived near the border of Ohio and West VA. Somewhere near Marietta, OH...This county at one time was in the Columbus DMA...AC Nielsen made an adjustment. The county in question was moved to the Parkersburg, WV DMA. So this customer lost their Columbus channels. And her biggest gripe was that she lost a lot of programming which included Ohio St sports and Ohio centered news.
The irony is that cable customers she knew were receiving Columbus and Parkersburg locals.

Lastly did I make the right choice going with the genie and genie mini for my 2 room apartment?

you got what he had on his truck because that was the equipment available in his warehouse.

congress needs to address that whole local channel issue. If cable can offer two sets of local channels then so can satellite or else get rid of it for cable. Level the playing field so to speak.
Of course our congress can't even pass a balanced budget so why should we think they would do that.

congress needs to address that whole local channel issue. If cable can offer two sets of local channels then so can satellite or else get rid of it for cable. Level the playing field so to speak.
Of course our congress can't even pass a balanced budget so why should we think they would do that.

Forget that stupid budget stuff and get to work on the really important issues like more than one set of local channels.

The budget comes first although it hasn't been balanced in quite a while. Anyways how can I get my caller id to work? I have it because it shows up on my cordless phone just not my directv boxes.

My CID hasn't worked in the better part of a year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts