Filthy Scumbag Hackers get their just desserts!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiminMb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 10, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I went to two computer stores to get a diseqc switch at lunch time. Both had FTA receivers out front along with Jtag cables. Wonder what they need those for? Not a linear lnb in sight either.

I think the hackers still have their hopes up high, as I'm not seeing many used units on the market locally and I'm sure they've sold 1,000's.

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Oct 13, 2003
GaryPen said:
BTW, when thinking of the term "Canadian pirates" does anybody picture a swashbuckling pirate in a flannel shirt , wool cap, and eyepatch going "Arrrrrrrrr, eh."

Dish Network actually plays into that stereotype! They have a channel only pirates can see, and this is the logo they decided to use:

(theres a clip of the 2-3 minute video they play on the channel floating around on the internet)

Attachments

• pirate.jpg
    pirate.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 103

tdti1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal, QC
Bell and Dish need to end this, Viewsat cliamed to be selling 30000+ units a week, and this does not include the other boxes, I'm in Montreal and do not no one person who subs to Bell but they watch it, it's really big, bigger than they think, hope they change encrytion soo or do something to stop it soon.

maddawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 6, 2003
yawn and the debate continues on and on.....don't you guys get or know history. Charlie started doing the exact same thing...funny how he thinks its so wrong...btw I'm not condoning piracy..folks just need to know the facts. Enough said, back to my boring life.

Inno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 13, 2006
NW Ontario, Canada
maddawg said:
yawn and the debate continues on and on.....don't you guys get or know history. Charlie started doing the exact same thing...funny how he thinks its so wrong...btw I'm not condoning piracy..folks just need to know the facts. Enough said, back to my boring life.

Yes, I have heard that also. He was involved back in the VCII hacking days. But still, they really should have sewn this up by now! Does anyone else here feel that in order for the hackers to be able to do this that at least some inside information must have been leaked? I mean can people really reverse engineer an encyption system like that and make it available to so many people? My theory is that the companies that write the script or produce the cards leak just enough info to the right people so they can go back to the dish companies and offer another "better" encryption system for more money. Although I think they have these problems in Europe as well, perhaps someone from there knows more.

maddawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 6, 2003
Funny how we are all bitching about tv, but no problem adding a bit of extra software to computers without paying...anyway such is life.

kb7oeb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2004
Phoenix,Arizona
Can Dish move away from nagravision with just a card swap or would the ird have to be swapped to? The track record isn't so great considering the new cards were hacked shortly after they finished swapping them out.

maddawg said:
Funny how we are all bitching about tv, but no problem adding a bit of extra software to computers without paying...anyway such is life.
Not me, other than buying games I've found open source projects for almost everything I use.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)