Finally Cut The Cord!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Pulled my 4DTV receiver out of my system yesterday and installed another Vbox X dish controller. I've had that Vbox laying around in the shop now for a few months waiting for a day when I wasn't doing anything else and yesterday was that day.

Nice thing about it is I've got two systems up with AZBoxes and I'm using the same numbers for sat positions so I can swap receivers between the two and the diseq settings will hopefully be the same. Will find out more on that later today when I actually do this.

So now I'm officially divorced from anything 4DTV related other than the fact that I still own one. It's been a good run up until a few years ago but things change and I just decided to change with them. There is life after 4DTV! ;)

If you wanna get rid of the 920 let me know gunman

Appreciate the offer but for now I'm just going to sit on it for a while in case something comes up that I can't live without. The little bit of money I'd get for it wouldn't make any difference on this end and it's not costing me anything to let it sit.

What good is a 4DTV receiver (or any receiver!) if the cord is cut??? :rolleyes:

How do you get your daily History Channel fix if you gave up on 4DTV? :confused:

Dishman I haven't had a sub now since last October and to be honest, except for the news channels I really haven't missed it. In fact, the last few months of my sub I only got the news channels because NPS/Echostar et al had pulled everything else out of ala carte and that was about the only thing that was left that I wanted to watch.

So or the last 7 months I've been catching what news programs I want from WWITV streaming online and everything else comes from FTA and OTA and I'm not paying a dime for any of it.

I understand that the 4DTV die hards are clinging to that old format but in the end we all know what will finally happen to it. Only question not answered at this point is when. Meanwhile my 920 is sitting here waiting should some miracle happen and News channels make it on SRLs program list.

History channel? Not a must have for me but the News channels, ie, CNN, Fox, MSNBC etc are and I just don't see that happening with SRL.

I guess that I am just a History junkie! :D

I prefer History International but the regular History channel was filling in until the 4DTV gets fired

up soon. As for news in my household, no news is good news! ;)

I get all the stupid cable news channels on DirecTV, FOX CNN etc. I don't watch them, they all suck..SRL is focusing on giving us the core Discovery's now then the Denver nets. If you need that cable news fix make a deal with the devil and get pizza and the lovely contracts and rain fade associated with them..

I get all the stupid cable news channels on DirecTV, FOX CNN etc. I don't watch them, they all suck..SRL is focusing on giving us the core Discovery's now then the Denver nets. If you need that cable news fix make a deal with the devil and get pizza and the lovely contracts and rain fade associated with them..

NO DEALS WITH THE DEVIL HERE! I'LL DO WITHOUT ANYTHING TO WATCH BEFORE I'D HAVE THAT S**T IN MY HOUSE! As far as the "stupid cable news channels" go, that's your opinion. IMHO I happen to feel it's more important to keep up with world events right now than it is to watch useless crap reruns to the tune of $40 a month!

Last edited by a moderator:
The world will blow itself up if you watch the news or not. The idiot jerks in power that control it all will have their way no matter what we say or think till it's too late. When you watch the cable news channels they are controlled by the big buck media and the ones running the show. It's all a controlled view so why watch. Your better off looking for raw feeds before editing on the bud. BTW I don't pay $40.00 a month with pizza and the bud combined.

Pulled my 4DTV receiver out of my system yesterday and installed another Vbox X dish controller. I've had that Vbox laying around in the shop now for a few months waiting for a day when I wasn't doing anything else and yesterday was that day.

Nice thing about it is I've got two systems up with AZBoxes and I'm using the same numbers for sat positions so I can swap receivers between the two and the diseq settings will hopefully be the same. Will find out more on that later today when I actually do this.

So now I'm officially divorced from anything 4DTV related other than the fact that I still own one. It's been a good run up until a few years ago but things change and I just decided to change with them. There is life after 4DTV! ;)

You might want to keep the 4DTV plugged in, so if your battery is close to death, you don't lose your "unit id" number. If that number goes PIFFFF, your receiver is junk. I bought one for $20, got it home, plugged it in, and found the number was bad due to a dead battery. I just wasted $20.

You might want to keep the 4DTV plugged in, so if your battery is close to death, you don't lose your "unit id" number. If that number goes PIFFFF, your receiver is junk. I bought one for $20, got it home, plugged it in, and found the number was bad due to a dead battery. I just wasted $20.

From what the OP posted it seems he's not really interested in having the 4DTV except for maybe watching something we don't have. If he looses his battery anything DC2 won't work. Since you need to subscribe to really enjoy the 4D that won't be an issue for him. Being a 920 and if the battery is original it's just about dead anyway.

It's a shame that he like many others will let the unit die when there are ones out there that would enjoy it to its fullest and replace the battery too. You can't tell people what to do. They all have there views wants and desires.

From what the OP posted it seems he's not really interested in having the 4DTV except for maybe watching something we don't have. If he looses his battery anything DC2 won't work. Since you need to subscribe to really enjoy the 4D that won't be an issue for him. Being a 920 and if the battery is original it's just about dead anyway.

It's a shame that he like many others will let the unit die when there are ones out there that would enjoy it to its fullest and replace the battery too. You can't tell people what to do. They all have there views wants and desires.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that unit id goes bad due to dead battery, it's unusable for ANYTHING, correct? Except maybe old-school analog feeds. How could you subscribe, if you don't have a valid id? I've never had 4DTV, since the receivers were way too costly years ago.

It will still tune the arc and view chs1-24. Because the ID is gone it won't decode even ZK channels. If you replace the battery it will store all the analog channels and satellites and keep them but anything DC2 poof gone. Now if there was a way you could reload a new UID in it, it would be able to work again. Actually I have heard there is a way without replacing the board but thats all I'm saying.:shh

FYI, I changed both batteries 2 years ago so don't you loose any sleep over that 920. It's alive and well and will be for a while.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)