Finally discovered, E* “turbo charge” changed my 1080i setting to 480p!

jacmyoung

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Sacramento, CA
After reading the debate as whether the E* HD PQ has become better or worse after the “turbo charge”, I did a side by side comparison (my third such tests) between my 722 and my D* HR21. I declared that E* has visibly downrezzed its HD PQ compared to D*’s.

I then discovered, that this so called “turbo charge” update had automatically changed my 722 HD output setting from 1080i to 480p! I let my guard down forgot to check the HDTV setting in my 722 after the “turbo charge”. But I have an excuse, I got my 722 only two weeks ago. Back about two years ago when we had two 622s, I recall I had to check those HD settings from time to time because our 622s would often change the setting after software updates. But since I switched from E* to D* in 01/08, I gradually forgot about this particular issue because D* HDDVRs do not change their settings during software update.

Now I don’t know if anyone else had checked to see if their HD settings have also been changed for either 1080i or 720p, to 480p. Also some of us continue to not receive CH501, I wonder if that has to do with the fact my receiver had been in 480p, so it told the source not to bother downloading any 1080p materials.

After reading the debate as whether the E* HD PQ has become better or worse after the “turbo charge”, I did a side by side comparison (my third such tests) between my 722 and my D* HR21. I declared that E* has visibly downrezzed its HD PQ compared to D*’s.

I then discovered, that this so called “turbo charge” update had automatically changed my 722 HD output setting from 1080i to 480p! I let my guard down forgot to check the HDTV setting in my 722 after the “turbo charge”. But I have an excuse, I got my 722 only two weeks ago. Back about two years ago when we had two 622s, I recall I had to check those HD settings from time to time because our 622s would often change the setting after software updates. But since I switched from E* to D* in 01/08, I gradually forgot about this particular issue because D* HDDVRs do not change their settings during software update.

Now I don’t know if anyone else had checked to see if their HD settings have also been changed for either 1080i or 720p, to 480p. Also some of us continue to not receive CH501, I wonder if that has to do with the fact my receiver had been in 480p, so it told the source not to bother downloading any 1080p materials.
My 622 has been set to 1080i for over a year and it has never changed. Maybe you have a Dish neighbor...

Both of my 722's backed down to 480p two or three weeks ago before any of the turbo stuff.

Last edited:
I have a 622 and a 722 both have the update and neither were switched as part of the update. Both are still set at 1080i

Let me add this...both time it happened when I first turned on my set the picture had reverted into a tiny box on the upper left-hand corner only...

odd...
This happened to me last night. My wife pressed a button on the remote to see what time it was and the picture changed to just a small box in the upper left hand corner. Looks like I should check to see if the resolution settings have changed.

Let me add this...both time it happened when I first turned on my set the picture had reverted into a tiny box on the upper left-hand corner only...

odd...

This happened to me last night too (I have a 622). By fooling around with the remote, I was somehow able to get a larger picture but it was narrower than a normal SD picture and everyone was skinny on the HD channel I was watching. I guess you could call this shrink-o-vision (the opposite of stretch-o-vision).

I checked the HD set up in the menu and it said I was set up as 1080i. After trying different channels and playing with the format button on the remote nothing brought the picture back to 16x9, so I tried the standard Dish remedy -- reboot. When it came back up, it was back to normal.

Anyway, I missed the end of the program I was watching, while trying to get the picture back. Turbo-charged -- just another malfunctioning program to require yet another reboot...

A while ago, my 622 got reset to 480p. It has only happened once for me; no subsequent problems.

Once you corrected the issue, what was the results of the comparison?

My 722 has never rset to anything other than the 1080i that I originally set it on. It is still there after 1 year 9 months.

Same here - neither my 722 or 622 has changed its settings. I just checked and both are still 1080i which is what I set them to when I originally set up the machines. I wonder if (this is just a wild guess) it depends on whether tuner one was set to a SD or HD channel during a particular restart or update.

I have a 622 and got the 6.12 update Wed. Last night and today I had the little box in the corner issue mentioned above. It was still set to 1080i. Last night I did a reboot. Today I manually changed the setting to 480p and then back to 1080i and that fixed it - for now.

I fear I've got a lot more of these episodes coming. At least I'm not alone :rolleyes:

I remember everyone telling me that the 612 was a POS, Well I guess them people never used a D* DVR then. The 612 well not a 622 but far from a POS. I LOVE ALL my E* VIP DVRS. They are fantastic.

Turbocharging my 622 didn't affect my settings and I haven't seen the little box picture either, but I think I remember another thread stating that it only happened in dual mode and I always use single.

Yup, dual mode. When in dual mode...

TV2 won't remember Normal/Letterbox format on HD channels from day to day, get's reset overnight at update/reboot.

Changing TV2 back to Letterbox causes the tiny corner screen on TV1.

What a mess. Started with L610 and continues with L612.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)