Finally gonna pull the trigger

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikebb79

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Bay Area, CA
As was noticeable in an earlier post, I had a lot of questions regarding what I should do in my situation. I think I finally know exactly what I'm getting. First off, have the AAA membership so I'm going through that hotline, then going to try to call the referral number afterwards for additional discount. Ordering the choice xtra package. Going to get the HMC and two additional HD receivers also. So, first, just too verify, getting the HMC essentially is like you have a dvr in every room you have a receiver in correct? Any room I'm in that has a receiver should have dvr functionality and access to all recordings correct? My only other question ( for the moment) is wondering what you all do for internet service if you have a dish. I've used Comcast for tv and internet for as long as I can remember. Not sure if I should keep them for internet, or switch to something else. Suggestions are welcome. Thank a lot!

1, no. In order to have DVR functions in a room you need a DVR. You can access DVRs from other HD receivers but you won't have the option to Fast forward, rewind, pause, etc.
2, I would stick to whatever does you good and fills your Internet needs

Don't let the DVR functionality confuse you, the other recievers can FF, RW, Pause and such , on a recording but not live tv...

Ok, thanks for that! Guess I was confused. So it shows I can get the hd receivers for free, but the hd dvrs for $99 each. If I get the HMC, do you think I'd be cool with just the 2 hd receivers? Or, should I get an hd dvr and an hd receiver? The HMC would be for our living room, then we will have one in the master and the other one tbd.

Mikebb79 said:
Ok, thanks for that! Guess I was confused. So it shows I can get the hd receivers for free, but the hd dvrs for $99 each. If I get the HMC, do you think I'd be cool with just the 2 hd receivers? Or, should I get an hd dvr and an hd receiver? The HMC would be for our living room, then we will have one in the master and the other one tbd.

Your setup sounds similar to mine. I ended going with the HMC in living room and H25s in other rooms. I've been pleased and it saved me some money.

A good workaround for rewinding and ff on H25s is simply recording what you're watching on those tvs and start recording with whole house DVR. You are then essentially able to rw and ff live tv ! :)

RE the internet.........as an installer......I have seen customers who ended up keeping their internet through the cable company and some selected cable packages because the price was the same.

The other detail to remember is that the Directv signal interferes with most internet use;run DTV on the came cable as the internet and you will have gaps in the internet. So ask the installer to run an independent cable for your internet. They probably know thisbut I have ended up fixing installations where the diplexer worked ok for DTV and the cable video and not so much with the internet.

Joe

For the lack of pausing live TV on the receivers just start a recording of the channel you want, and watch the recording and pause away. Works if you are at a desk or something watching a program for awhile.

RE the internet.........as an installer......I have seen customers who ended up keeping their internet through the cable company and some selected cable packages because the price was the same.

The other detail to remember is that the Directv signal interferes with most internet use;run DTV on the came cable as the internet and you will have gaps in the internet. So ask the installer to run an independent cable for your internet. They probably know thisbut I have ended up fixing installations where the diplexer worked ok for DTV and the cable video and not so much with the internet.

Joe

When I got my cable internet turned on here I just went ahead and got the triple play thru C* and it was cheaper to leave tv on the service than to take it off even though I have D* for tv. Doesn't make much sense but worked out to be cheaper to have cable tv and satellite haha.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts