Finally Got All the Tp's on 97.0W Using Salvaged Gardiner LNB's & Old Corotor II

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Decided to take Linuxman's advice and take a look at my newly installed Corotor II with Norsat LNB's that could NOT receive Tp's 11966, or 12152 at all on G25 / 97.0W on my 12 Ft Mesh Dish ever since installation in late November. Since I had just salvaged a 7.6 Ft Unimesh Dish with a Corotor II and Gardiner C & KU LNB's and it seemed to be working when I hooked it up to my Uniden 9900 Receiver in the house, I installed it on my 12 Footer. (I know Anole is big on salvaging older Satellite Parts and in this case it has paid off big time!!).

To my amazement After I hooked up the older Gardiner LNB's I had great signal levels on BOTH V and H Polarities!! Here is a sample of what I am currently seeing on 97.0W my true south Bird:

TP S Q
11966 71 75
12090 68 75
12177 71 76
12152 71 84
11874 73 63
12084 72 77
11836 73 75

Also the Skew Polorotor Control finally works great. See pics of the Gardiner LNB's installed on the 12 Footer.

Possible Problem with the Newer Corotor II Motor??
The Inside Guts of the Older Corotor II is Different than on my newer Corotor II with its Norsat LNB's. The last picture shows the inside of the removed Corotor II, and what it is doing is it is temporarily cycling and hanging up every time I put it into the " H " Polarity!! Could this be the problem with the new unit, maybe it froze up, it now cycles but it eventually wakes up and moves. Can this be fixed, ie change out the Blue Motor??
Any replies would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00903.JPG
    DSC00903.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 825
  • DSC00904.JPG
    DSC00904.JPG
    580.1 KB · Views: 708
  • DSC00880.JPG
    DSC00880.JPG
    520.8 KB · Views: 649
  • DSC00907.JPG
    DSC00907.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 831
The Inside Guts of the Older Corotor II is Different than on my newer Corotor II with its Norsat LNB's. The last picture shows the inside of the removed Corotor II, and what it is doing is it is temporarily cycling and hanging up every time I put it into the " H " Polarity!!
Well, since that older unit isn't working so good, maybe you would like to sell it to me. :) Or perhaps trade it to me for a newer style Co-Rotor II like your other one. :) Seriously, the older one is the original Co-Rotor with the patent infringing Ku probe.

It is probably the servo motor that is bad, and you can get one of those for under $20.00. It could be the probe itself that has corrosion around it causing it to hang up.

If you want to trade, just PM me. :D

Well, since that older unit isn't working so good, maybe you would like to sell it to me. :) Or perhaps trade it to me for a newer style Co-Rotor II like your other one. :) Seriously, the older one is the original Co-Rotor with the patent infringing Ku probe.

It is probably the servo motor that is bad, and you can get one of those for under $20.00. It could be the probe itself that has corrosion around it causing it to hang up.

If you want to trade, just PM me. :D

Linuxman, thanks very much for the generous offer.......sorry for not understanding, but it is the Brand New Co-Rotor II (just purchased in November) - see last picture with the 2 - Norsat LNB's on it that is NOT working properly or hanging up!! Performance wise the Norsat LNB's are just a little better than those older Gardiner LNB's that are now currently working. So I would likely want to try to get the newer Norsat LNB's back up in service again. I do have another Servo Motor on the Tee-Comm LNB recovered from my Uniden 9900 Receiver & 12 Ft Dish purchase last Sept. So the problem on the new Corotor II unit could be with the Servo Motor OR the Probe. To troubleshoot should I try swaping the Servo Motor on the new Corotor II with the old Tee-Comm Servo Motor to see if that makes it works better on the newly purchased Corotor II that I now have in the house?

Also what do you mean by the patent infringing KU Probe on the older Gardiner Corotor II unit that is now currently working on my setup? There must be a story there!!

To troubleshoot should I try swaping the Servo Motor on the new Corotor II with the old Tee-Comm Servo Motor to see if that makes it works better on the newly purchased Corotor II that I now have in the house?
It is either the servo motor or the receiver not communicating properly. I can't think it would be the servo on a brand new Co-Rotor II, but you can try that. If the receiver works ok with the older Co-Rotor, it has to be the servo or probe sticking.
Also what do you mean by the patent infringing KU Probe on the older Gardiner Corotor II unit that is now currently working on my setup? There must be a story there!!
The older Co-Rotor above is in fact the original Co-Rotor. The original design of the probe in the Chaparral Co-Rotor "borrowed" the same design as was originally designed and patented by ADL. ADL sued Chaparral and won. That's why we have the Co-Rotor II because it was designed without "borrowing" from ADL.

The original Co-Rotor does an outstanding job of signal getting. That's why I was so willing to trade. :)

I have one of those babies, and would gladly trade all my others for ones just like it. :D

Thanks Fred, so if the older Corotor FeedHorn that I just salvaged and am now using..... if I swap out the Gardiner C and KU LNB's and replace them with the brand new C and KU / Norsat 8515 & 4506A LNBs that I just purchased in Nov, wouldn't I get more signal sensitivity?

Also alternatively does the newer Feedhorn - with its white plate inside the shaft have more Bandwidth for receiving BOTH Circular and C Band Satellites?? Or did I read this wrong on another thread??

Unless you want / need Circ. C Band, I would remove the Plate(if possible) Maybe it moved during shipping and it is the problem. Just a thought.

Thanks Fred, so if the older Corotor FeedHorn that I just salvaged and am now using..... if I swap out the Gardiner C and KU LNB's and replace them with the brand new C and KU / Norsat 8515 & 4506A LNBs that I just purchased in Nov, wouldn't I get more signal sensitivity?
Yes.
Also alternatively does the newer Feedhorn - with its white plate inside the shaft have more Bandwidth for receiving BOTH Circular and C Band Satellites??
Only if you LNB will interpret the wider range of frequencies.
There is only one or maybe two circular C-Band satellites viewable from the US and they are way over on the Eastern side of the arc. You probably won't even be able to see them from where you are.

Also, the white plate will degrade your other signal across the arc on standard H and V signals.

That's why not very many people in the US even attempt to use the Co-Rotor II plus Wideband.

Yes.

Also, the white plate will degrade your other signal across the arc on standard H and V signals.

That's why not very many people in the US even attempt to use the Co-Rotor II plus Wideband.

I love my circular c-band on my corotor II plus wideband, honestly I didn't even notice a difference at all when I swapped feeds, my buddy noticed some loss on the spectrum analyser but nothing noticeable on my receivers, I did not use the c-band elbow.

The Inside Guts of the Older Corotor II is Different than on my newer Corotor II with its Norsat LNB's. The last picture shows the inside of the removed Corotor II, and what it is doing is it is temporarily cycling and hanging up every time I put it into the " H " Polarity!! Could this be the problem with the new unit, maybe it froze up, it now cycles but it eventually wakes up and moves. Can this be fixed, ie change out the Blue Motor??
Any replies would be appreciated.

That looks like a wideband feed, your ku antenna is placed over the Teflon plate, do not touch it, your c-band antenna is behind the Teflon slab, with this feed you will need to set it up differently, for example on a 4dtv your skew would be H+35V-55 or something like that, with this feed you would be around H+85V-10 for best results.

With this feed you will be able to tune in NSS806 and Intelsat 707 or 705? hmm not sure have not done scanned that bird in a while but there are lots of cool stuff up there, if you can hit them birds from your location I would keep that feed, well only if you are a hardcore feed hunter.

The Servo could be bad, or it was installed incorrectly and is hitting it's limit and bouncing back.

Hey tdti1,

Just out of curiosity, how many circular C-Band satellites can you tune in up where you live?

I mostly watch NSS-806, I have a house in the way but would probably be able to get more, I do get programming off another bird, I think it's Intelsat 707 or 705 I did a master reset on the 4d after I refurbished my arm and have not put all my birds in yet, it's hard to share the dish not enough time to play :)

In Montreal lots of the sports bars go down to I think even 5 deg with there 24' dishes, my buddy has a 10' I think he said he can get some feeds off NSS-7, if the city would allow me I would put another dish up high on a tower to see how far I can go but thats not the case :(

I just checked out NSS-806, and it does look like there is some interesting things there that we could watch from here.

Not a lot on 707 or 705.

Is it possible to pick those up without the plate?

I just checked out NSS-806, and it does look like there is some interesting things there that we could watch from here.

Not a lot on 707 or 705.

Is it possible to pick those up without the plate?

Before I purchased my wideband feed I would go to my buddy''s to watch this bird, I did attempt to tune it in, I did get like 15 20 or even more channels when I scanned with my linear feed, it's nothing like when you have the proper feed but you will be able to get some channels, just like scanning a dss bird some things come in but not much.

I would tell you what channels to look for to help you out, but it has been so long that I don't recall what came in, if you do try it out let me know how many channels you pull in, test it on NSS-806.

I would tell you what channels to look for to help you out, but it has been so long that I don't recall what came in, if you do try it out let me know how many channels you pull in, test it on NSS-806.
As soon as I finish tuning in my Solid Birdview, I'll give it a shot. I know I can hit 43W from the spot where that dish is and I think it will see 40.5W before it hits the neighbors tree top.

I'll let you know. I should get some time to finish that one up maybe this week-end. :)

Cool, I hope you can hit it. Damn trees! haha, I have some hardcore tree problems on the west of the arc, all blue sky on the east, well that and houses lol.

That looks like a wideband feed, your ku antenna is placed over the Teflon plate, do not touch it, your c-band antenna is behind the Teflon slab, with this feed you will need to set it up differently, for example on a 4dtv your skew would be H+35V-55 or something like that, with this feed you would be around H+85V-10 for best results.

With this feed you will be able to tune in NSS806 and Intelsat 707 or 705? hmm not sure have not done scanned that bird in a while but there are lots of cool stuff up there, if you can hit them birds from your location I would keep that feed, well only if you are a hardcore feed hunter.

The Servo could be bad, or it was installed incorrectly and is hitting it's limit and bouncing back.

Tdti1 thats exactly what is happening: "The Probe on my newer Corotor II is hitting it's limit and bouncing back and forth", and making a loud clicking Noise but only in the "H" Polarity setup, than after numerous attempts while pressing the Skew Button it finally wakes up and moves back. Its NOT sticking or bouncing back when I select "V" Polarity. We had wondered if the problem is in the Servo or the Probe, but hadn't thought about an improper Installation by Chaparral? Guess I should try to take it apart, Guys, Linuxman, are there any risks that unless I know what I'm doing that I won't be able to get the new Corotor II back together again?

Linuxman, from Winnipeg up here which is right in the middle of Canada (about 150 miles North of Grand Forks North Dakota), my most Easterly Satellite would be Pas 9, 61.5W, or something like 55.5W, while my most Westerly Bird would be 148.0W. I would like to use them for setting Dish limits on my Actuator when I get it going, but Ive been reading that some of these these are Circular Sats and was wondering if the old Corotor or the new Corotor II has the capability to pick up those Sats, as well as C and KU Band?

Linuxman, from Winnipeg up here which is right in the middle of Canada (about 150 miles North of Grand Forks North Dakota), my most Easterly Satellite would be Pas 9, 61.5W, or something like 55.5W, while my most Westerly Bird would be 148.0W. I would like to use them for setting Dish limits on my Actuator when I get it going, but Ive been reading that some of these these are Circular Sats and was wondering if the old Corotor or the new Corotor II has the capability to pick up those Sats, as well as C and KU Band?
As far as I know, there aren't any circular C-Band satellites that fall in your LOS, so I would take the plate out.

The old Co-Rotor will give the best signals. I haven't ever attempted to take the probe out on any of mine. I have changed several servo motors, and it is possible that you need to take the servo off, and re-position the probe 90 degrees by taking the little "cap" out of the servo and shifting it 90 degrees.

I can only imagine how good the old infringing design corotor is. My new one seems phenomenal on KU and C. I still need to tweak a little. I need a better c-band lnb.

I am just using what came in the "corotor pack" which is an eagle aspen and a dms international bsc-211.

There is a strange signal that is weak from one of my far east sats that when I switch polarity it makes no difference in signal strength. I wonder if it is a circular signal. It is coming off of Intelsat 1, 9, or 805 I can't remember now which sat.

As far as I know, there aren't any circular C-Band satellites that fall in your LOS, so I would take the plate out.

Actually with the wideband feed the plate is not user removable, unlike a linear feed where you can slide it in and out, best would be to sell it, since there is not much use for the circular if you can't hit the birds, if you purchased it from a dealer you may want to return it since the servo is messed up.

I was on the roof today to do some tuning on the solid Birdview, and thought I would take a couple of pictures to show you what I am dealing with to get Intelsat 3 at 43W and Hispasat 30W from where that dish now sets. :)

I can pull in IS3, but haven't gotten anything on Hispasat yet. I think it might pull in NSS806 too because it is just 3 degrees over. :)

The pictures are taken with the lens of the camera poked through the hole in the center of the Birdview, so it sees what the dish can see.

hisp-from-solidbv.jpg is3-from-soldbv.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)