Finally into new house and ent center is set up

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Talked to wife into a new, open, entertainment center so the electronics could breath. The setup, being more rectangular, puts us about 9' from the 55" and allowed me to move the fronts out from right next to the tv, to 30".

New Sanus stands are pretty nice, and the center is not picture because it's stand has not arrived.

I have the two fronts angled in about 20 degrees (per online guides), and will run Audyssey once the center is up and the Directv guy gets my HDDVR installed.

The BDP 320 is a nice unit. Looks good, menu is nice, and I played about 20 mins of Bourne and it looked awesome.

Photos are from phone

IMG00042-20100105-2118.jpg

IMG00043-20100105-2118.jpg

IMG00044-20100105-2119.jpg

The center actually fit well between the BDP320 and the HR22, on the mid shelf. I used a laser to angle the speakers in correctly, and aim the center up. Works pretty well.

I currently have the LCR's set at 100hz (per Def Tech) after running Audyssey, and have the Klipsch sub at 100hz in the rcvr menu. These Def Techs seem to handle 100hz well, but did not do as well at the 80 Audyssey had them at. Im not quite sure why the Audyssey setup guide says to put the sub at 120 regardless, because I would think you wouldnt want overlap. Also, with the sub at 120, I hear a little droning with deep voices.

Thanks man, really enjoying it so far. I was on night shift Monday, so I toed the left and right speakers in a little more, tweaked the xover, and moved the sub out from the wall another 5 inches. Giving the port more room made it sound less like it was banging on the wall.

Used Audyssey recommendations and online google searches for speaker setup. My sub is downfiring, and most recommend 1-2 times port diameter from wall. My port is 5 inches, so I went to about 11 inches(was at 5).

The L and R speakers should be out a bit, as far as possible, then toed in towards the center position at roughly 20-30 degrees. I prob have mine around20, and used a laser to get them aiming at the center position. I then used a laser for the Audyssey mic placement, and used it to center the TV and center channel with our center position. Finally, I used the laser to aim the center channel up at us, so that it was firing at our heads, and not above or below them.

I always wanted to use the laser, and finally bought one during the move. My wife laughed at me, but all speaker direction, center placement, and measurements are damn close now.

With the L and R out farther, and aiming in at is, the movie feeling is a lot more immersive.

For me, the main speakers being out from the wall is a must. The big Klipsch's I have contain a rear firing woofer, and they sound absolutely lousy if they are less than 18" out.

I really like the sound, but they are starting to get old. Pushing 20 years now. I am starting to think of replacements, and considering something that is a bit less obtrusive than these monsters.

I really like the new setup. Too bad you couldn't control where the power and antenna jack came out.

The one thing I would still do would be look into some sort of cable management. It looks like the start of a rat's nest back there. I have been using the gray computer cable conduit. That replaces a bunch of wires with one fat one. I like that I can easily pull one out or add one without having to tear the whole mess apart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)