Finally using an Invacom Quad

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I said in another thread that I'd probably be getting a quad Invacom, but I backed out and got a dual el-cheapo LNB on eBay instead. After investigating what's available on FTA in circular polarization I decided I didn't really need circular. Aside from a bunch of radio channels, there really isn't squat.

What I do wish is that someone made a cheap dual LNB with a low noise figure. If they're out there, I haven't found them yet. I settled on a "Roc" brand 0.5dB dual. The BeSat 0.3dB eBay special I picked up originally seemed to work fine, but I never pushed it really hard (and I have a fairly big dish, by Ku standards anyway). I'd have been happier if I'd been able to find a dual LNB with a 0.3dB noise figure, but no such luck.

I also wish someone would make a true universal - something like the Invacom QPH-031, but also supporting the "European" downlink frequencies. I still think there's probably some interesting stuff there, at least for those of us far enough south to receive some of the Central/South American beams. If I ever get around to repairing my BeSat LNB I'll do a little experimenting and see what I can see from here.

Oh, it would also be nice if the Invacom had built-in DiSEqC mini-switches. It wouldn't add much to the cost and would mean there'd only have to be two coax connectors instead of four.

I agree pestie on a lot of the points

-the built in switch would be nice.
-I have had a bugger of a time finding a good dual. Both of mine are .5 & .6 Sadoun said there is a .4 standard coming soon
-I used a single .3 Xtreme for a while now and it worked great. But I needed a dual for the Pansat 6000, which to fully have flexibility, needs two lines to it (I could have used the loop out but then I am limited to same polarity on both tuners)

Oh, it would also be nice if the Invacom had built-in DiSEqC mini-switches. It wouldn't add much to the cost and would mean there'd only have to be two coax connectors instead of four"

That is fine. But, if the customer has a DBS receiver and FTA receiver, the built-in switch will not work properly. Or it will restrict you to DBS or FTA only connection.

Iceberg said:
very True Sadoun but they could make a switch in one side and not the other :)

True, but if you have a DirecTV TIVO and a couple other DSS receivers, you will still need the two ports on the LNBF.

Interesting points, Sadoun. As a DirecTV Tivo owner myself, I can see what you mean. I think there's a definite need for two models of LNB here. The existing model seems right for someone who wants to mix and match DBS and FTA. Another model, incorporating DiSEqC switches and the alternate downlink frequencies, would mostly appeal to the hardcore, obsessive types who just want to be able to receive "everything" regardless of polarization or frequency. I can see, though, why that market would be limited - there's very little need for circular polarization if you're not doing DBS. Aside from getting NASA TV from E* or the many FTA radio channels on the DBS birds, I can't really see a huge demand for it in North America.

What I don't get, though, is why someone would ever want to run DBS and FTA from the same dish, especially if they have a motorized dish and/or Tivo. The Tivo can't control the dish motor. Unless you wanted to do something really strange like receive AMC4 and the 101W DTV sats from a fixed dish, I don't know what the heck the quad LNB is for. Maybe it's just that I've had Tivo for so many years now that I can't imagine watching TV in real time.

pestie
There are only a couple satellites that have both DBS & KU at same spot
129 (IA7 & Echo 5)
91 (G11 & Nimiq 1,3)
101 (AMC4 & DIrecTV)
61 (well 61 KU and 61.5 DBS)

So there are few reasons on a fixed. Why would they do it on a motorized is beyond me. 2 LNB's are a better opion for fixed
KU DBS
95 91
95 101
97 101
93 101
123 119 (I'm doing this right now)
87 91
87 82
74 82
etc etc...any satellite that the DBS is within 4-10 degrees you can do. I have a StarChoice (107.3/111.1 KU) dish that has a DBS at 119 for Dish subscription (I have a separate dish for 110)

I would think that it is probably better the way the quad is now. There are soooo many diseq switches that work on one system and not on another, is it not better to have the diseq switch external. You would start having a LNBF that works on some systems and not others. This way one product for the manufacturer, and you add an external switch if needed. If the switch does not work on your system, then you simply try another. What if the diseq switch was incorperated inside the LNBF and it did not work with your system. This would only cause the manufacturer to discontinue the product as there would be too many returns that were actually not defective.

Was there actually two versions of the quad? On the Sadoun site it lists the quad:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Invacom/Quadpolardatasheetwhite.pdf
FSS Band (linear) 11.7 - 12.2 GHz
BSS Band (Circular) 12.2 - 12.7 GHz

but on the Invacom site
http://www.invacom.com/products/documents/2ndgenQuadpolardatasheetwhite.pdf
FSS Band (linear) 11.7 - 12.2 GHz
FSS Band (linear) 12.2 - 12.7 GHz
BSS Band (Circular) 12.2 -12.7 GHz

Larry1

Excellent analysis. Also, we all know how flaky DiSEqC switches are with people not turning their receiver OFF before connecting/disconnecting their switches. If it was built-in, you ruin the whole LNBF if a mistake happens.

The Invacome site specs must be wrong. The Quad we sell has a STANDARD linear side (11.7 - 12.2 GHz) not Wide Band.

Larry1 said:
Also found it interesting that the Invacom pdf also is named 2nd gen quad polar.

It could be under development (haven't heard about that), but I don't see an application for it in Europe, do you?

DirecTV LA uses a weird one

It uses the lower KU band (like PAS9) but its circular polarity (not linear)
so its a real oddball. You would need it to be
10.7-11.7 MHZ
circular polarity

I am not Iceberg :)

But you are right the Invacom QPH-031 is a Standard LNBF on the linear side with a L.O. of 10750.

You NEED a Universal LNBF for the Pas 9 satellite @ 58w
Such as the SNH-031 also from Invacom with the same low noise value of just 0.3dB

http://invacom.net/products/snh031.htm

PSB said:
I am not Iceberg :)

But you are right the Invacom QPH-031 is a Standard LNBF on the linear side with a L.O. of 10750.

You NEED a Universal LNBF for the Pas 9 satellite @ 58w
Such as the SNH-031 also from Invacom with the same low noise value of just 0.3dB

Thanks

Eduardo, looks like you have your heart set on Mexico programming, SKY Mexico coverage map is only good for Mexico, Texas, southern California,Florida, and Carribean. Heres a Link to coverage maps for PAS 9 please scroll down to map that shows Horizontal beam and map that shows Vertical beam.

http://www.panamsat.com/global_network/pas9_ku.asp

Michigan is nowhere near the footprint, hey you can still get Azteca Siete and Trece on Intelsat Americas 6 and Televisa XHG- Canal 4 on PAS 3R, that would be a total of 3 stations from Mexico, oh and TELEFORMULA on G10, so thats 4 channels, besides various Univision and Telefutura.

Think you can convince your wife on a Big Dish C-band.

Thanks Jayelem.

I've been reading a lot of useful information in this forum and others. I think I'm going to settle for a winegard 76cm and enjoy the 4 channels that are available. Hopefully with this dish I'll get a quality signal.

I've been thinking about a 6" fortec dish to do C-band hoping that it will work for satmex.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cant find

Need of help with dish setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)