Finding Sat 101 Difficult in the woods.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jaeger6

Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I just returned from 14 days out chasing Elk here in the northwest. My 5th wheel trailer has a working DirectTV box. I have a 36" single LNB dish. The "finder" boxes I have both give me strong signal readings at 136 degrees mag and 32 elevation. No signal strength appears. I did initially have some success on two transponders, values 90 and 100. I have about 150' of cable run to get a clear view of the SE sky. Frustrating. Signal drops off and I was not able to "find" a correct position to receive.

My question is: What device should I purchase that will show me clearly, by satellite number and strength, which satellite my dish is aimed at? Your recommendation would be appreciated. :)

Patience would be a good purchase but I don't remember it being for sale. Try using your camper system at home to practice tuning in the satellites. You are looking for a van 22,300 miles out in space. Seems like I read recently where one of our posters gave a figure 1/16th inch of error on the ground was a 100 miles plus of error in finding the satellite.

Like Bobo said, Patience and practice.
You have no idea what Sat you were pointed at unless you got signal on the recvr.
If you did you should have had picture on some channels.

The Birdog is the only meter that I know of that actually tells you what sat your pointed at.
Unless you can find a used one, they are very expensive, $400 + new.
I would like to have one, but have gotten good enough that I really don't need one anymore.

Patience and practice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)