Finding Water in Venture 18 Motor Cover

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

I've noticed lately that after watering the lawn near my dish or after a heavy rain, I have a small amount of water in the motor cover of my Venture 18 actuator. Is there a gasket I have to check to prevent water from entering ? Its sealed tightly all around the box.

Thanks,

John

They are not water tight. That is why you mount them with the motor up. Most actuators have a vent/drain hole for that reason. The water will seep down the arm and get in to the motor housing.

Thanks Magic Static and Cham,

It turns out there was a slight blockage of one of the drain holes...only one side was draining.

John

Reactions: Magic Static
Of the 5 or so Von Weise Movers I've had my hands on a couple of those have had drain holes in the bottom of the back cover. So I drilled the others I have to match that one. IIRC that hole was only like 3/32 in diameter to prevent "critters" from inhabiting that area but still large enough to let water out if needed.

The 2 Super Jacks I have here in the shop have slots in the bottom of the back cover that are about 1/16" x 1/2" long. One has two of those and the other only has one.

They are not water tight. That is why you mount them with the motor up. Most actuators have a vent/drain hole for that reason. The water will seep down the arm and get in to the motor housing.
JFOK John, MS makes a good point here. Are you 100% sure your actuator is mounted the right way. I looked at this pic apex.jpg from your C-Band install thread and it looks to me like the actuator is upside down.

What model is your actuator? Could you take a couple of pics of it?

Kevin

JFOK John, MS makes a good point here. Are you 100% sure your actuator is mounted the right way. I looked at this pic View attachment 118659 from your C-Band install thread and it looks to me like the actuator is upside down.

What model is your actuator? Could you take a couple of pics of it?

Kevin

That IS upside-down. Clamp should be loosened, and motor should be spun to be on top. Then tighten it all down again.

Reactions: JFOK
beaves2112 and primestar321,

That picture was taken early on while I was still trying to get the dish properly aligned.
I had since rotated it to having the motor on top, but had still noticed a bit of water in the box.
I discovered that one of the two drain slots in the bottom of the box was clogged with insect "debris."
After clearing it, all is well now with proper drainage.
Thanks for your input though....always welcome.

John

Reactions: beavs2112

I just got a new actuator for my KTI from Venture today. It had tape on it saying not to rotate the arm. But if I don't rotate the arm the motor will be parallel to the ground (sideways) instead of being up and the motor housing drain holes won't be at the bottom but at a right angle to where they're suppose to be. I had the same issue with my Venture actuator for my other dish (Paraclipse).

I just got a new actuator for my KTI from Venture today. It had tape on it saying not to rotate the arm. But if I don't rotate the arm the motor will be parallel to the ground (sideways) instead of being up and the motor housing drain holes won't be at the bottom but at a right angle to where they're suppose to be. I had the same issue with my Venture actuator for my other dish (Paraclipse).
Venture Actuator Limit Switch Adjustment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)