Fine tuning and general pointing questions of a SL3..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arkapigdiesel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
Just got a SL3 today and I'm trying to learn how to point it properly. I'm used to pointing an oval 3 LNB 18 x 20, which is easy to do.

The 101 sat is pretty easy to tune on the SL3, but getting the 99 & 103 also in the mid 90's is a little tough to do. I'm curious if I'm going about it the right way.

Here's what I do....I go ahead and set my skew and elevation, then I find the azimuth. Once I get the best signal I can on 101, I adjust my elevation to really get it high. Problem is, that method would usually also get me in the mid 90's on the 110 & 119 also on the oval 3 LNB dish but it's not doing the same on the 99 & 103 sat on the SL3.

One other thing....do those little black knob fine tune screws actually do anything? I turned on them, but they don't seem to do anything at all :confused:

Any tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated fellas.

Is your mast absolutely plumb?

What you've done is correct to a point. Once you get 101 peaked as best you can. I think you need to tweak the skew a little to bring 99 and 103 in line. I assume the tuning knobs are fine tuning the skew.

A non-pointing question....Can I run one line out from the LNB head into a Zinwell multi-switch and then run lines from the switch to my different receivers? OR, do I need to run a line from 99, 101, and 103 from the dish to the corresponding inputs on the Zinwell switch?

A non-pointing question....Can I run one line out from the LNB head into a Zinwell multi-switch and then run lines from the switch to my different receivers? OR, do I need to run a line from 99, 101, and 103 from the dish to the corresponding inputs on the Zinwell switch?

For receivers 1-4 use no multiswitch. For receiver5+ run all 4 lines into the zinwell 6x8 and use the 8 outputs as needed.

Generally....make the mast plumb. Set the tilt per instructions. Set the elevation per instructions. Tune the azimuth to peak the 101. Adjust the elevation if it improves the signal. Observe the tilt as you make changes for any improvement as you test the 99 & 103. It is a compromise...as you raise one sat the others change a little.

Joe

For receivers 1-4 use no multiswitch. For receiver5+ run all 4 lines into the zinwell 6x8 and use the 8 outputs as needed.

Generally....make the mast plumb. Set the tilt per instructions. Set the elevation per instructions. Tune the azimuth to peak the 101. Adjust the elevation if it improves the signal. Observe the tilt as you make changes for any improvement as you test the 99 & 103. It is a compromise...as you raise one sat the others change a little.

Joe
Thanks Joe, that answers my question(s). What about the fine adjustment knobs? It doesn't appear that they do much of anything. What are your thoughts?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)