Fios and Tivo

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
I've been very happy since getting a Tivo Series 3 to replace the Verizon supplied Motorola DVR. Just placed an order for a 1TB Cavalry CAXE CAXE3701T0

Newegg.com - Cavalry CAXE CAXE3701T0 1TB USB 2.0 / eSATA External Hard Drive PC-Ready - External Hard Drives

For 104.00 including shipping and zero tax I figure I can't go too wrong.

The more I use the Tivo the more I like it. At this point I like it better than the HR2x although I would still give an edge to the 622/722. It's even starting to make suggestions that aren't totally off base from what I like. Once I get the extended memory hooked up I'm either going to suspend or cancel my DTV account because it will be more or less redundant.

I'm curious how others who have made the leap to Fios/Tivo are doing?

I've been very happy since getting a Tivo Series 3 to replace the Verizon supplied Motorola DVR. Just placed an order for a 1TB Cavalry CAXE CAXE3701T0

Newegg.com - Cavalry CAXE CAXE3701T0 1TB USB 2.0 / eSATA External Hard Drive PC-Ready - External Hard Drives

For 104.00 including shipping and zero tax I figure I can't go too wrong.

The more I use the Tivo the more I like it. At this point I like it better than the HR2x although I would still give an edge to the 622/722. It's even starting to make suggestions that aren't totally off base from what I like. Once I get the extended memory hooked up I'm either going to suspend or cancel my DTV account because it will be more or less redundant.

I'm curious how others who have made the leap to Fios/Tivo are doing?
I too have warmed up to the Tivo HD w/500GB My DVR. We purchased both new for $347 and we are quite pleased with the service. While it is certainly several steps ahead of the FiOS DVR (lots of features) we still like the 622 better, but the difference is pretty small and I no longer complain too much about the guide, search and other usablity features. The one feature I miss most about the 622 is being able to records from three sources - we record a lot of primetime broadcast network shows and a third tuner would help us avoid a lot of conflicts. Hopefully the next Tivo will have three tuners...or four like the upcoming 922.

We still have a FiOS DVR in the bedroom (will probably keep it) and a low single-tuner Sony HD DVR (I love free TV Guide On Screen) which only costs us the monthly Cablecard fee.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give the 622 a 9, the Tivo HD an 8.5, my Sony HD DVR a 7 (gotta love no fees), the FiOS DVR about a 6.5, and the Comcast DVR a 5. The Tivo HD is about as good as you're going to get with FiOS. I can't wait to see what Tivo and EchoStar come out with in the coming year (hopefully).

I picked up my series 3 on Ebay for $289 and adding the esata drive was $104 so total was $393.

Good point about the 2 tuners and network shows. At this point in the broadcast season there isn't a lot of conflict on programs we watch that go beyond 2 tuners at the same time. I can see that being an issue when they start a new or second season. Most of the cable channels duplicate what they do so it's possible to get around scheduling conflicts. We do a lot of recording of premium movies but they also are flexible for scheduling. And with Fios there are SO MANY of them it boggles the mind.

We'll probably pick up a 2nd HD Tivo down the line to avoid conflicts. But for now I think we'll be fine.

I picked up my series 3 on Ebay for $289 and adding the esata drive was $104 so total was $393.

Good point about the 2 tuners and network shows. At this point in the broadcast season there isn't a lot of conflict on programs we watch that go beyond 2 tuners at the same time. I can see that being an issue when they start a new or second season. Most of the cable channels duplicate what they do so it's possible to get around scheduling conflicts. We do a lot of recording of premium movies but they also are flexible for scheduling. And with Fios there are SO MANY of them it boggles the mind.

We'll probably pick up a 2nd HD Tivo down the line to avoid conflicts. But for now I think we'll be fine.
Was your Series 3 new? The Series 3 is certainly prettier, but I don't have a problem with the way the Tivo HD looks and I didn't like the fact the S3 doesn't support M-Card. I finally used the $200 gift card FiOS gave sent me last summer, so the Tivo HD was basically a freebie from Verizon.

The other little nitpicks with the Tivo is I hate not having a menu option to view free space and, although I don't use OTA nearly as much as I used to when I had Dish Network, it's annoying how it has to stop recording in order to check signal level.

Wasn't new. It was a gamble but so far it's worked out. I've had good luck on Ebay. I wanted to make sure I liked the way Tivo works before spending on extended memory. The HD Tivo looks fine. Certainly better than the HR2x cyclops. If I get another box it will be the HD Tivo just to get the extra tuners. Amazon does drop it's price occasionally.

I have one small issue with the Tivo so far. I like to set to native to get the best PQ. But it's kind of a pain anytime you go to Tivo home to check on recorded programs or set up a search, etc. So I've got it set as constant 1080i now. That works great most of the time. I wish there was a way to just do a manual switch without going back through setup.

Hooked up a Calvary 1TB Esata drive last night. All went well. I now have 179 HD hours available. :D

Last edited:
Hooked up a Calvary 1TB Esata drive last night. All went well. I now have 179 HD hours available. :D
Nice to hear! I was thinking about picking up the same drive, but the Tivo HD will supposedly only work with the WD My DVR (500GB). To be honest, I am very happy with this setup. The WD My DVR is very cool, extremely fast and quieter compared to the WD My Book devices I had connected to my 622s.

I disconnected my two D DVR's after I was sure the expansion worked. Not sure if I will suspend the D account or just cancel now. I still have 9 or 10 months left on the contract.

I think I'll start looking for a bargain on another Tivo box just for the extra tuner(s).

Last edited:
I disconnected my two D DVR's after I was sure the expansion worked. Not sure if I will suspend the D account or just cancel now. I still have 9 or 10 months left on the contract.

I think I'll start looking for a bargain on another Tivo box just for the extra tuner(s).
So how have you and your family adjusted to FiOS? My wife wasn't too happy with switch to the FiOS DVR, but once she figured it out I haven't heard too many complaints. To be honest, she likes the Tivo but I am usually the one who operates the TV and she hasn't felt like learning something new. Personally, I am loving the Tivo more and more each day.

The Motorola was a non starter for my wife. Pretty much what she wants is to be able to search for movies and not have me erase her stuff when the drive gets full (another reason I am already shopping for a bargain on a 2nd HD Tivo). The Tivo does that better than any DVR we've had with the possible exception of the 622. But Fios offers so many more movie choices than either D or E that it's a big winner. One thing we both like with the Tivo is you can eliminate channels from your search that you don't want (SD PPV and channels you don't subscribe to). We both hated the truncated listings info on the Motorola. You get maybe a partial sentence. The Tivo has excellent listings. Better than D. (I only wish they would list on series the episode number like E does.) As for my kids, they never touched the motorolla while the HR21 was hooked up. But they really like the Tivo.

Another minor issue with the Tivo HD (compared to the 622) is that it doesn't remember/buffer your past keyword search arguments and you have to retype the information. For example, I was wanting to pull a short video clip from the movie Gunk Ho to use for a class and have to type the same search argument every few days. In all fairness, I really love the "Wishlist" but I don't feel like creating one for each title search.

This worked for me: Find Programs, Wish list search, Create Wishlist seach, Keyword (enter your keyword(s). It will then let you search and should save it for next time. Good luck.

The key is using Keyword search versus Title search. Filling in a few specifics in the categories should allow you to narrow it down to a specific title.

I'm still learning Tivo. Is there a way to check the "to do" list or prioritize recordings?

Last edited:
Just an FYI, if you are wanting another Tivo HD, Sears has them for $199 in store now.

I just picked one up after switching to Fios TV this week from E*. I gave the Vz box a chance but it is not up to par with my old 622. From what I have read the Tivo should get me close to it.

Just an FYI, if you are wanting another Tivo HD, Sears has them for $199 in store now.

I just picked one up after switching to Fios TV this week from E*. I gave the Vz box a chance but it is not up to par with my old 622. From what I have read the Tivo should get me close to it.

Great, thanks. I'll check out Sears.

There are some things you are bound to miss with the 622, but all in all the Tivo will get you where you want to go.

__
Sears was out of stock but I got Circuit City to honor a price match. :D

Last edited:
Great, thanks. I'll check out Sears.

There are some things you are bound to miss with the 622, but all in all the Tivo will get you where you want to go.

__
Sears was out of stock but I got Circuit City to honor a price match. :D

Update: Returned the one from Circuit City after Sears called me back and offered to sell me the floor model at an added discount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)