Fios and Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I just wanted to add that FiOS TV picture quality, both HD and SD, put DishHD-Lite to shame; FiOS TV also provides the most HD channels of any major MSO (106 HD nationals, plus 10 more locals HD in my DMA). Additionally, FiOS provides the best overall value, by far. I was paying almost $128 for Dish Network, but I have only been paying $168 (taxes included) for FiOS TV w/movies and sports, 20/5 Internet, and phone (both services with 3 HD DVRs) and I am getting a LOT more HD and movies with FiOS.

It's not always easy to do an apples-to-apples comparison, but the FiOS Triple Play is a great value. We were considering dropping down to the Double Play this year, but Verizon tossed in a few freebies and extended another year of great pricing (we would still require a landline/VOIP line) so it was an easy choice.

Just curious....does the $168 total include their DVRs? I can't come close to that deal when I chat with the FIOS people.

Just curious....does the $168 total include their DVRs? I can't come close to that deal when I chat with the FIOS people.
ExtremeHD, Movies & Sports (whatever they call it nowadays), 1 FiOS HD DVR, three Cablecards (2 for a TivoHD and 1 for a Sony HD DVR), and one "free" digital converter box. I think the base price for Extreme HD Triple Play is $109, which comes out to just under $169 with the additional charges, franchise fees and taxes.

According to these links, the FiOS bundle I currently have is $109.99 and I believe you can also get $150 cash back and free Showtime for 1-year if you order by 6/20. If memory serves, these are "online" offers so you will need to order from the website.

Verizon
Verizon | FiOS Bundles

We initially had FiOS under a 2-year agreement, but Verizon let us renew is after (this time a 1-year contract) only 10-months for the same price: upgraded to ExtremeHD, upgraded Internet from 5/2 to 20/5...also, gave us a free HD DVR for 6-months and $20 off for 3-months. Like I mentioned, we really didn't need the phone service, but its less expensive than Vonage, etc. once you factor in all the discounts.

Also, FiOS should have Cablecards in your area...if not, more will waive the charge for a 2nd S-Card if you make enough noise.

We initially had FiOS under a 2-year agreement, but Verizon let us renew is after (this time a 1-year contract) only 10-months for the same price: upgraded to ExtremeHD, upgraded Internet from 5/2 to 20/5...also, gave us a free HD DVR for 6-months and $20 off for 3-months.

Thanks. Decided to go with double-play first. If that works out, will probably call back after a few months to check offers for triple play. The only thing holding me back is their crappy DVRs and the up-front cost to buy TIVO boxes.

Will the HD tivos serve recordings to each other?

Is their really any picture or sound difference in the HD tivo and the HD tivo XL that is supposed to be THX certified????

Has anybody found tricks or shortcuts or backdoor methods to the Tivo? I continue to like it more than the HR2x. I found by entering code 01142 you can program the D remote to work the Tivo as a DVR. This works for me because I also have my TV, receiver and BluRay programmed on it.
Have you ever heard of DVRupgrade.com or dealdatabase.com? Tivo is the most hackable box in existence. I had my D* HDtivo hacked 6 ways to sunday with extraction and all recordings unscrambled. Also had internal HD upgrades with DYI software for creating the kernel and addoing networking, web control etc. If I get one or two of these things, I plan to do the same.

Will the HD tivos serve recordings to each other?

Is their really any picture or sound difference in the HD tivo and the HD tivo XL that is supposed to be THX certified????

Yes on sharing recordings between boxes.

The only difference as far as I can tell is you get the THX intro when the box fires up on initial setup or reboots.

Have you ever heard of DVRupgrade.com or dealdatabase.com? Tivo is the most hackable box in existence. I had my D* HDtivo hacked 6 ways to sunday with extraction and all recordings unscrambled. Also had internal HD upgrades with DYI software for creating the kernel and addoing networking, web control etc. If I get one or two of these things, I plan to do the same.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Yes on sharing recordings between boxes.

The only difference as far as I can tell is you get the THX intro when the box fires up on initial setup or reboots.
But do they share the copy protected material like the premium channels? I was reading up on the TivoHD and if Verizon turns on the CP flag then no sharing. Looks like the Tivo will download HD programs to the PC without modification. I guess my question is which channels is Verizon putting Copy protection on?

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
I have ordered 2 tivo HD's and 2 1 TB internal drives. these drives can be "baked" with a 20 dollar linux software program called "instant cake" from DVRupgrade. I used to do it with my old HR10-250 to add capacity, networking functions etc. Its not very hard to do and you can save some money and end up with an internal solution. A lot of money if you look at the prebaked drives some places sell for the tivo's. A torx scewdriver, a hard drive, the 20 dollar download burned to CD and a spare PC to perform the operation is what is required. You can also use any bootable linux CD if you want to risk typing in the cryptic commands. Ive done that too but am lazy in my elder years.

I guess my question is which channels is Verizon putting Copy protection on?
None at this time. Such protection would interfere with the current multi-room viewing implementation on their Motorola QIP DVRs.

Verizon plans to offer a new multi-room DVR before year's end, and it will not have the same limitation. Copy protection will not interfere with multi-room viewing on that new DVR. That said, it's unclear whether (a) the multi-room viewing implementation on the existing Motorola QIP DVRs can be made compatible with such copy protection, and if not, (b) whether Verizon will swap out the existing Motorola boxes with the new MRDVR boxes late this year or early next.

None at this time. Such protection would interfere with the current multi-room viewing implementation on their Motorola QIP DVRs.

Verizon plans to offer a new multi-room DVR before year's end, and it will not have the same limitation. Copy protection will not interfere with multi-room viewing on that new DVR. That said, it's unclear whether (a) the multi-room viewing implementation on the existing Motorola QIP DVRs can be made compatible with such copy protection, and if not, (b) whether Verizon will swap out the existing Motorola boxes with the new MRDVR boxes late this year or early next.
Way to rain on my parade.

If anyone wants a better remote you can order the HR10-250's HD tivo remote on ebay NEW for 15 dollars shipped. It works and is superior to the stock Tivo HD remote as it has a list button and an exit button. Instead of DVR1/2 it has SAT/TV button and the "tivo" logo button says Directv. For those who are used to D*'s remotes I would recommend it.

Just a tip for those considering the TivoHD for FiOS...

TiVo is running a "Father's Day" promotion through June 20. Through this offer, you can get a TivoHD with lifetime service -- no monthly fees ever -- for $499 with free shipping. Click this link. You will need to register (create an account) on TiVo.com to checkout. Alternatively, you can call 877-289-8486 and mention the "Father's day" promotion, although people have had less success with that.

If you opt to take advantage of that deal, you'll probably want to budget $85-$100 for a 1TB internal drive upgrade or $160-$170 for the supported [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WDG1S10000N-Expander-eSATA/dp/B001UHOR88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245009796&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Western Digital My DVR Expander 1 TB eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive WDG1S10000VN (Black): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QBxcPqOML.@@AMEPARAM@@31QBxcPqOML[/ame].

Just a tip for those considering the TivoHD for FiOS...

TiVo is running a "Father's Day" promotion through June 20. Through this offer, you can get a TivoHD with lifetime service -- no monthly fees ever -- for $499 with free shipping. Click this link. You will need to register (create an account) on TiVo.com to checkout. Alternatively, you can call 877-289-8486 and mention the "Father's day" promotion, although people have had less success with that.

If you opt to take advantage of that deal, you'll probably want to budget $85-$100 for a 1TB internal drive upgrade or $160-$170 for the supported 1TB external drive.
It the "Father's Day" promotion a new or refurbished TivoHD?

It's new. The offer expires June 20.

More information here.
Cool deal...I may pick-up another one if I don't get a Moxi. My first experience with the TivoHD box after moving to FiOS was a bad one and I would not recommend that anyone purchase a "factory refurbished" box...they were both broken and/or badly scratched/dented. Thankfully, I decided to give then anyother opportunity when I purchased a brand new box for $200 online.

The $499 offer for a TivoHD+lifetime (no future fees) apparently expires at midnight tonight.

The "add to cart" link is is dead as of early afternoon. The promotion page is still up, but you have to call 877-289-8486 and mention the "Father’s Day offer."

New (non-existing) TiVo customers have had less success with orders over the phone; many have had to call back one or more times to find a representative that was willing to honor the offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)