FiOS HD DVR and Apple TV

digitalclips

Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Hi guys I am new to this forum.

By way of introducing myself; I make and edit HD video for a living as well as host web sites , do graphic dedsign and most things in the digital media area. I have been in TV production for quite a while. I produced and edited many shows for ESPN and ESPN2 using Media 100 and Macs with Betacam SP source footage way back in the mid 1990s. I am still 100% Mac using Final Cut Pro HD Suite and Sony HD Cameras. (So please don't tell me I need the PC software from Verizon :rolleyes: )

I have one question and if it has been asked already ... forgive me ... :)

Can I extract the shows I have recorded in 1080i in anyway to free up my FiOS HD yet be able to watch them again? I also have an Apple TV and given I can convert 1080i to 720p easily enough if I can just get at the data I am all set. I understand that most likely I am limited to watching on only my current network for DRM reasons which is fine. I basically want to watch Planet Earth a zillion times in High Definition :D

If I can extract and convert I can use my iTunes and Apple TV to watch 720p any time I like with unlimited storage ability.

Thanks again for any help.

Digitalclips

digitalclips,

welcome to the board. I do not think you can record programs in Verizon Hard Disk DVR to a P.C. unless there is a modification to the FIOS DVR that I am not aware of. I do not think the FIOS DVR has a firewire output and in such cases (e.g., Dish Network or DirecTv) there has to be some type of modification to the box to enable this. Of course, I am talking about transferring the program in 1080i without downconversion.

Anyone else can correct if I am wrong.

digitalclips,

welcome to the board. I do not think you can record programs in Verizon Hard Disk DVR to a P.C. unless there is a modification to the FIOS DVR that I am not aware of. I do not think the FIOS DVR has a firewire output and in such cases (e.g., Dish Network or DirecTv) there has to be some type of modification to the box to enable this. Of course, I am talking about transferring the program in 1080i without downconversion.

Anyone else can correct if I am wrong.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

It does have a Firewire port but it seems not to be activated on my model which is a Motorola QIP6416-2. I was hoping someone had news regarding this.

I have bee able to get AVC Browser to at least recognise that my mac is hooked up to the FIOS DVR through firewire. But, I'm just not enough of a computer geek to know what to do next.

Labruler

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)