Firefox 3.0

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Has anyone tried any of the beta versions? I have heard that it requires that all ons (themes, extension and plugins) be loaded from a secure server. How does this affect Adobe, Flash, Java and third party themes? Are they all inoperable?

Collecting arrows for your back? ;)

I'm looking forward to it, but not interested in the beta.

If what I am hearing is correct whatever is true of the beta in this area will also be true of the final release.

I got a partial answer here Firefox 3 for developers - MDC

it seems that any addon that does not hae a secutre upgrade site is disabled. I tried the beta t home and it disableda few themes as well as Adobe. I will continue to use Firefox 2.0x. While this sounds lijkea good idea it could be creating more problems than it solves.

Sounds like I won't be upgrading.

It's safe in a single person cell. Not too many volunteers for it, though.

There is a way around that... I am trying out the Firefox 3 Beta 4. If you feel comfortable in about:config... try this...

in a new tab, type in about:config. Now in the page that appears, right click, select new, then click on Boolean.

In the box type in "extensions.checkUpdateSecurity" and click on ok. In the next box, set the preference to false. Now restart firefox. You'll have a warning in the addon manager under extensions warning you that add on update security is disabled, but everything should work like you are wanting it to.

Also another thing to try to see if your extensions work with this version of Firefox is to search for "extensions.checkCompatibility" and set that to false as well. This COULD cause problems though, if your extension you are wanting to use is not actually compatible with Firefox 3. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Still though since so many add ons are third oparty this does not strike meas such a great idea.

I've been running the beta for a few weeks now, it just upgraded to beta5 tonight. I got lucky so far and have had no problems with any of the few plugins I run. They all seem to be working just fine in Firefox3 so far...

Adblock Plus
Customize Google
IE Tab
NoScript

So why can't I even use i to search for text ina website?

i would not say that it is "irreparably buggy" . I would just say that it is more difficult to use than Firefox 2.X and that redefining the terms so that there are fewer bugs that are "blockers" is not as innocuous as that article makes it sound.\

BTW the items listed above are extensions. I had problems even with actual plugins being disabled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)