First channel you saw when you aimed your first FTA dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i didnt know he died i guess thats his wife that took it over and they show clips from old shows of his then cause i was like wow he hasent aged at all

yep. His widow does all the sermons now but they still show the older episodes. On the bright side they have cleaned up some of the old videos.

Easiest way to tell....the old videos usually had the purple 800 number across the screen. The new one has a smaller font of the number and also the webiste.

Doc Scott played those old videos all the time even whwn he ran it. Rumour is there are so many videos in the vault they could run 24/7 for like 25 years or something like that

Ku - AMC 4 channels , or maybe it was T5 .

C band on a 90 CM dish , the 2 religious analog channels on G4

wyr

My first channel with the BUD (25 years ago) was WOR out of Secaucus, NJ. It was a Knicks-Bulls game. With the Satworks, my first FTA box was FX. When it came I popped the box open, hooked it up and started pressing buttons. The BUD was on G11 so not knowing a thing about what I was doing I did a blind scan and COPs came on. It was love at first sight. This led to my first meeting with the incomprable Iceberg.

It's been so long, I have no idea? I do remember when I was playing around with C-Band on a 1.2m dish that the Pentagon Channel was the first one I got. It was/is on IA8/G28 @ 89.0w. And I also remember years ago waiting in anticipation when CNN Headline news flipped there switch. They said now we're on the air and will be here to report the "End of Time" when it arrives, or something like that?

Al

Good question.......FTA was APTN but if you are talking Analog.......WGN when it first started back in the mid 80's....I will never forget the "BOZO SHOW".....Damn it, I am getting old..... :cool::cool:

My first drink - er, satellite

I'm pretty sure my first drink was wine, but it was no fun because my parents decided to let me have a glass occasionally to counteract the "illicit lure" factor, which basically worked. When I turned 21, I didn't get drunk or anything. I was kid#2 and they were by then too smart for my own bad. :)

Oh wait, wrong topic. We're talking satellites. Well, first satellite was a lot more fun than the first drink. :)

So last night I set up my first dish, after work, in the dark, in anticipation of actually aiming it more precisely in the morning. But... satellite finder meter found a really strong bird when I was panning around, so I figured "what the hell, one satellite is one more than I expected to get, and went excitedly inside to do a blind/power scan.

It only found 4 transponders and a few FTA channels. The first channel was a prominent network news channel show covering a feature on a prison in Kentucky. After flipping through the other channels, I watched that for a while. It could have been a special on timing your soybean crop planting, sock collecting, or cat grooming tips for all I cared. This was TV from space and was exciting just for its own sake!

Another channel had no sound, and a wavering graphic like you'd see sandwiched between a show and commercials. It was for one of those "yelling heads" shows where reasonable discourse is banned and information content is secondary to the combat aspects. Just a still image. No actual content - but then again, the actual show probably had little more ;P. (Contact me privately if you want the names of said shows. Not sure if it's cool to say in this forum, because I've never seen either on any FTA list.) Another feed was just a still image like someone hit "pause" on a random scene of a TV show, but I couldn't identify it.

My guess is that these were random feeds and probably come and go.

I don't really know which satellite it was, because the whole setup was way off the arc. When I get it dialed in I'll post. Only 4 transponders found is weird. :)

Gear is: Fortec Star 90 cm dish, SatTracker II+ 0.2dB NF standard LNB, SG2100 motor, and Fortec Star Mercury II receiver.

My experience with the Mercury II so far, as a newbie, is very positive. Everything works as I would expect. Not sure if that's the norm, but I found few surprises and thought it would be difficult to make the box any easier or more logical to set up and use. (Although it would be neat if there was a feature to "clone" your LNB setting across all the satellites for a motorized setup since they all were defaulted to universal, and I had to change them all.) Don't know if other boxes have more features, but I'm happy my first box isn't a head-scratcher. :)

Anyways, can't wait till I get Galaxy 25. :)

Last edited:
TRWAM on 101W

I was stabbing around in the sky looking for a strong transponder from Iceberg's list so I'd have some idea of where to move, and my first strong hit was a transponder on 101. I tuned in a channel, and BAM -- there was the Pope.

That first moment when you finally get a picture to come in (even if it's not the one you're looking for) sure is great, isn't it?

TBN on G25 --- the first satellite signal I got was from ECHO and, if I recall, it was the morse code letter "A" (it has been ALMOST 50 years!). My next memorable was not satellite, but a space shuttle contact on UHF cfrossband HAM (about 15 years ago). I'm getting older, I sometimes SHOUT so I can hear myself! ;}

I don't know for sure what the first channel was, but it was using my StarChoice receiver aiming a 24" StarChoice dish at X4. I remember getting AMC when it was not encryted and taping quite a few of the Tarzan movies. At that time, there was an introduction with some trivia to the movies by someone in Radio City Music Hall. (I have an Aunt that was a Rocket, but have never seen Radio City Music Hall) The trivia or movie facts was very interesting, and AMC played the movies with no comercials. I still have and treasure those tapes. I would compare AMC to bing more like TCM is now. AMC has gotten so bad with all the adds, that I do not watch it, but do watch TCM a lot. (note, TCM is not FTA but I receive it on my StarChoice subscription) It was only years latter that I purchased a FTA box (Digiwave 7000) to receive G10R.

I found my first channel on Telstar 5 with a Skystar 2 TV pci card in which I had to enter the address of a transponder to do the scan. I'm not sure which channel it was but the time was approximately Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:04:33 -0700 (PDT) .

I had my reciever and dish in the back yard it just happened to be the first day of baseball, I found a bunch of feeds from ball parks aroud the country. It was AMC5 and my neighbor and I sat in my back yard and watched all the interviews going on I was hooked after that

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)