First Dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

big_hemi

Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
East Coast USA
First Post! I'm new to the whole C-Band thing but I remember watching stuff at a friends house when I was a kid, like Hockey Night in Canada and other stuff we didn't have on the OTA antenna. I've been lurking in these forums for a while, and now I'm in the planning stages of getting all of the stuff for C/Ku.

I've read many posts where people go "dish hunting" and I finally got the stones to try it myself. I found this dish at a motel in my area so I went and did a knock & talk. The owner said he bought it in 1984, and total cost installed with receiver was around $9,500.

I can see it is a Wineguard and its 10' in diameter. The stainless steel mesh is in excellent condition, no deformities or blemishes that I could see. The mount has a bit of surface rust but I don't think that is a big issue. The pole is bolted to a concrete pad approx. 4" below the grass so removal won't be a problem. And it's a square pole, haven't seen too many of them in this forum.

He said the actuator does not work but he doesn't know why. He quit using it about a year ago when he got "one of them small dishes..." He used some sort of hand crank to lower the dish to the position it is in now.

It looks like just a C-band LNB but I can't get any more information unless I pop the cover off.

I asked him how much he wanted for it. He said $200. I think I might be able to get him down a bit. What do you experts think? I can take it anytime I want but I won't be installing it for at least a year until we move into our new place. And the owner doesn't have any of the manuals or receivers anymore.

Here are some pictures. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Attachments

• SNC00001.jpg
    SNC00001.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 197
  • SNC00012.jpg
    SNC00012.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 132
  • SNC00011.jpg
    SNC00011.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 153
  • SNC00010.jpg
    SNC00010.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 155
  • SNC00009.jpg
    SNC00009.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 152
  • SNC00008.jpg
    SNC00008.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 140
  • SNC00005.jpg
    SNC00005.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 152
  • SNC00004.jpg
    SNC00004.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 137
  • SNC00003.jpg
    SNC00003.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 172
  • SNC00002.jpg
    SNC00002.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 184
...the rest of the pictures...

Attachments

• SNC00013.jpg
    SNC00013.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 137
  • SNC00014.jpg
    SNC00014.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 148
  • SNC00015.jpg
    SNC00015.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 134
  • SNC00016.jpg
    SNC00016.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 145
welcome :wave

very nice dish and nice pics :)

From the pics the LNB looks like a C-Band only (the one wire also kinda gives it away)

The actuator looks kinda rough...a new one runs a little less than 100 bucks. Sadoun has them (just checked)

Thanks Ice!

Like I said I'm new at this but I've been lurking for a while. I don't know what size actuator I would need. At my new place, there is a website (dish pointer) shows that I can see from 5.0W to 148.0W. I realize that it's probably going to be less than that, but I didn't know if the actuator would be long enough to permit this big of a sweep.

Also, if you look at the 1st and 2nd pic, the LNB cover doesn't look parallel to the buttonhook. It kinda looks like it's offset from the dish too. Is this the way it should be or could the buttonhook be bent?

Thanks for the help!!

thats an old winegard pinacle

i didnt think winegard made them so long ago, i thought they went into tvro in the late 80s

the square pole is unusual

I always thought the buttonhook needs to be in the middle but with analog C-band there was lots of room for error. Not so much with digital.

I havent worked with a buttonhook setup so I'll let on e of the folks who have comment on it

Thanks for the response guys. What do you think a good price would be for it? And does anyone have any more information on whether the buttonhook is bent or is it supposed to be like it is (pictures 1 & 2)?

I have a 'buttonhook' dish. On mine the scalar ring faces right into the center where the buttonhook base bolts to the dish. I can not tell from the picture if the scalar faces the center of the dish. The cover (over the LNBF and scalar) obviously does not point to the center. Either way - I think the dish looks GREAT. If it is bent, maybe you could take it to a muffler shop and get it bent right. Good Luck!

I recently paid $100 for a complete Birdview, the Cadillac of dishes. Yours looks to be in outstanding condition, you may try to negotiate a better deal, maybe $50. Once you start looking for BUD's they will rain upon you. I have a 10' Channelmaster I got for free and another free one to pick up. The buttonhook can be straightened, or you can fabricate support arms from 1/2" emt .

Status
Please reply by conversation.