GEOSATpro First-ever update to original software as-received new. Precautions/versions?

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
I've always had GREAT microHD service, and because of that, I never updated firmware. But, before winter, I'm adding some fixed dishes and want to make sure the unit is as current and easy to use as possible.

I'm a bit confused on whether my "version" of the firmware is the one we've been cautioned about that may cause issues. I refer to the fact my stored positions and favorites may not work jumping from this very early version to latest version.

Is there a need to put in an intermediate version along the way, and what version SHOULD I be able to go to from mine? I've read the update "sticky" pdf, but the caution is there that there may be issues reloading the user file.

May I politely ask the experts here, if my original firmware can go directly TO the latest, or what users here would recommend? I've not updated in the past year due to GREAT solid service, but it's probably time, especially if I want to continue being able to contribute to threads on this site should an issue arise. I understand the procedure, but don't want to introduce issues through updates if I need to do something in-between the original and the currently offered versions.

I'm probably the LAST person to not update when one is available!

Attachments

• 0908131122a.jpg
    0908131122a.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 189
You can go directly to the LATEST release.

What you can NOT do, (you will boot-loop the receiver) is reload your old .udf file with all your old settings, sats, and such.

In other words, IF you go to the new firmware, you MUST set it all back up from scratch as if you had just taken it out of the box brand-new for the first time. That would also be true even if you loaded intermediate version and eased your way to the newest.

Even with having to do it all by scratch, I HIGHLY recommend that you update to the newest firmware! It's all well worth it. Load it, factory reset it, then remove power for 30 seconds by pulling the power cord. Power back up, reset all your settings (time, tv, etc) Then select and rescan all your sats.

So, for this rather dense reader, how DO I not lose my settings and NOT have to manually re-find and rescan everything?
?
If I have to put 'em all back in manually, I'd rather stay "old" and just put up with whatever happens.
Is there a way to NOT have issues with the old user favorites, satellite positions and such?

Guess this is the part I'm missing out on, and quite frankly, likely to ignore upgrades if it's a pain, just keep it as "original".

As far as I know, you would risk major issues by reloading your settings. So, you're probably best keeping the original firmware if settings take priority over function :)

thanks!

I'm sure with documented positions (using a v-box to run a large dish..memories set there, not just in the MHD) finding and rescanning wouldn't take forever, but..
what's working is working......and.......Really no issues! It's a GREAT box. I just won't be able to contribute to improvements and ideas, if not current.
Time invested probably won't give me any more conveniences than the ones with which it came, which is simple time shifting and enjoying FTA.

I appreciate the input......and confirmation by everyone of full new file being needed.

Will continue to enjoy a GREAT product as-is.

The old timer response is -- if I can do it wrong ... I eventually or sooner will. Therefore, if I was not going to update, I would at least get the usb cord and software, so when I did screw it up I could get it going right away. Writing down all the settings, now and then updating would seem to me to be quicker than trying to reconstruct after an accidental boot loop. If I understand it right, all it would take is one channel, in the wrong place going off the air - and boot loop.
I may be wrong (at least twice a day, now) but When I can choose between wrong and sorry (or panic) I choose wrong.

This is an easy one. Satellite names change after awhile because the satellites change. Channels change after awhile because apparently it's inevitable. All these changes add up to dead channels in spots or even missing the new ones sometimes because you haven't scanned for quite awhile.

Change is a constant in this hobby.

Bite the bullet and update the software. You can't break that receiver...

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I agree update the software, as there have been changes to the software to improve the scanning... you might be missing channels which you should get just because you don't have the newest software. :)

Agreed, upgrade and re-scan. It will be nessacary anyway. I bet you get new channels. ;)

I also would update. The original firmware had some pretty annoying bugs.

Only problem with an update is that you will lose the ability to play back any previously recorded programs on the microHD. The recordings are not damaged, and will still play back on a PC or other media player.

ooh...that's a bugger! Some are being replaced by (commercial) DVDs of the content, some need to be burned yet!
I've not done "digital burns" yet of source to DVD....still need to find software for that. Can temporarily dump all the hard drive
to another, though and "store it' til burning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)