FIRST LOOK: 622 Review!

I am using my Harmony Remote with the 622 just fine. :) Didnt even need to reprogram the remote, just needed to change the remote address on the 622.

"What I found neat about this was this was the first time I have seen the Dish Home Screen blocking channels the receiver was not authorized before. I may be wrong but this is the only receiver I have seen do this."

Scott,

My 811 is doing this too. I have no AT package, just HD & Supers, & my Dish home screen looks exactly like yours.

120inna55 said:
Great! What should I change the remote address to? The address that my 942 is at now?

Yes. It maybe different on a 622, but I got a replacement 721 Friday and all I did was bring up the System Info screen on my 721. I then hit the record key on my Harmony remote, while it was set to operate the 721. This changed the address on the 721 to match my Harmony.

Yup, on my 942 I was using address 2 (and my harmony remote was also programmed to work with address 2)

To get the 622 to work with the harmony I pressed the System Info button on the front of the 622 then pressed the record button on the harmony remote which changed the address to the proper one. I then took the 622 remote and changed the remote address code on it, so now all the remotes control the 622.

Great job Scott! One quick question. Did you have any OTA channels where the guide info was missing on your 942? Does the 622 get guide info for all your OTA channels? I guess that was two questions,

Fabulous work, Scott. What patients you have to stop and document your procedure like you did.

You raise some interesting points in your review that affect the 622 future life-

What I read in your report about MP4 is what I have heard outside of the E* engineers and from those working on the fundamental MP4 technology. Your report confirms these suspicions and "outsider" reports. IT has me a bit concerned that the decoding technology may need updated and if so, MP4 may not really work "artifact free" in the 622. The good news is that if this turns out to be the case, as opposed to what you reported that IT is hoped the issues are with the encoder, not the decoder then at least those of us who lease the 622 can get it exchanged for little loss of $$$ if a newr model that really works with MP4 has to be released. Of course this is just negative speculation but considering all the reports about true MP4 picture quality, it needs to be considered. One thing is certain from your report that the mP2 and other DVR stuff is now nearly bug free on the 622 so it should be a very nice upgrade for first generation 921 users. I am now looking forward to it.

Dish ?'s I see you are using the exact configuration I have here and thank you again for showing the review with that so I can relate. However, do you now have plans to switch to a Dish 1000 and if so, what are your plans for the 61.5? My only concern is that if the WCBS is remaining only on the 61.5 as well as some other SD channel options, will it be easy to keep the Dish 1000 with the 61.5 for the install package we will be asked to switch to for the MP4 channels.

Don, you are in Florida so I don't think you will see 129. In fact I don't beleleive they are installing Dish 1000's at all in Florida.

I think you will have the 61.5 setup for quite awhile.

The review has been moved out of the Pub Members area to the General Dish Network forum for all to see.

Thanks again to all the Supporting Pub Members for making all of this possible! I was happy to give you guys the real first look at the Dish 622!

If you have found this review useful please tell a friend. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott-
Are you currently using the "2 tv" functionality - or are you simply using the dual-tuner for 1 television? IF so, how did you change the setting during setup?

No only using single TV configuration at this time. To change between the signle mode and dual mode just press the Mode Button on the front of the 622. :)

Great review Scott, I'm a new member, and the info on SATGUYS has beena great help. Have looked at TV2 with an HD channel selected? If so, is the picture squashed or in letterbox. Thanks again for the great review. Looking forward to a 2/21 install date.
RIP

Scott Greczkowski said:
No only using single TV configuration at this time. To change between the signle mode and dual mode just press the Mode Button on the front of the 622. :)

Thanks Scott! Excellent review by the way - first I get 14 inches of snow - now I read this great review. What a good Sunday so far! :D

Some have Two HDTVs . . .

Can you verify that both the HDMI and Componet HDTV outs for T2 are both active at the same time?

Since we are limited to only one of these with the lease (we have to pay full price for a 2nd one) some may want to run Componet to the HDTV set in the bedroom.

Good! What I have now offers very solid signals with little or no rain fade except maybe in a hurricane. :( Then does that mean that MP4 will be on 61.5 or one of the Dish500 tp's ?

Great review Scott, I'm a new member, and the info on SATGUYS has beena great help. Have looked at TV2 with an HD channel selected? If so, is the picture squashed or in letterbox. Thanks again for the great review. Looking forward to a 2/21 install date.

Ok I just tried this, I hooked up the output of TV2 to my Slingbox and put the 622 in dual mode.

The 622 shows the screen in 4x3 non letterboxed. (The sides are cut off)

Look at the pictures below (click on them for larger sized photos)

Hope that answers your question, thanks for being a SatelliteGuy

Attachments

• hd1.jpg
    hd1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 451
  • hd2.jpg
    hd2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Don Landis said:
Good! What I have now offers very solid signals with little or no rain fade except maybe in a hurricane. :( Then does that mean that MP4 will be on 61.5 or one of the Dish500 tp's ?

The MPEG4 locals will be on 61.5 and 129. Your locals would be on 61.5. :)

ScottChez said:
Some have Two HDTVs . . .

Can you verify that both the HDMI and Componet HDTV outs for T2 are both active at the same time?

Since we are limited to only one of these with the lease (we have to pay full price for a 2nd one) some may want to run Componet to the HDTV set in the bedroom.

My TV does not have HDMI so I can't test it, however I did ask about this at CES and was told that all outputs are active.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts