FIRST LOOK: 622 Review!

Scott when did you order your 622 to get it so quick? Was this a regular shipment or do you have special ties to get one early? Are you leasing this unit?

Jason

I know this is probably a dumb ? but I'm not used to dual tuner receivers like the 942 and such so with my current setup involving a 510 receiver in my living room and a 508 in my bedroom what will the installer do when putting in the 622? Like say I wanna keep my 508 in the bedroom and only use the 622 in the living room do you just disable TV2 or what? Also I only have one cable coming into the living room for the 622 so can that be split to allow me to use both tuners?

Jason

sunfire01 said:
I know this is probably a dumb ? but I'm not used to dual tuner receivers like the 942 and such so with my current setup involving a 510 receiver in my living room and a 508 in my bedroom what will the installer do when putting in the 622? Like say I wanna keep my 508 in the bedroom and only use the 622 in the living room do you just disable TV2 or what? Also I only have one cable coming into the living room for the 622 so can that be split to allow me to use both tuners?

Jason

the 622 has a single user mode.. all you do is press the button on the front panel and it goes into single tuner mode :)

to utilize only one cable they would have to upgrade you to Dish Pro Plus and use a seporator.. otherwise a 2nd cable is needed :)

Just a quick question. You can use this receiver for OTA HD right?

But do you have to be subscribed to DISH's Locals package?

RussTC3 said:
Just a quick question. You can use this receiver for OTA HD right?

But do you have to be subscribed to DISH's Locals package?
Yes you can use this as an OTA receiver, however you must subscribe to a Dish Network HD package for the OTA tuner to work, or you must pay a $6 a month HD enabling fee if you do not a qualifying HD package.

If you decide to leave Dish Network the OTA tuner portion will be turned off.

cappy29 said:
I noticed you said that the universal hd was only availible to people with mpeg-4 recievers but i was watching it last night on my 921.
Universal HD is only available in to all HD customer while the Olympics are on, when the olympics are done in a few days Universal HD will then once again only be seen by those with a MPEG4 receiver.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes you can use this as an OTA receiver, however you must subscribe to a Dish Network HD package for the OTA tuner to work, or you must pay a $6 a month HD enabling fee if you do not a qualifying HD package.

If you decide to leave Dish Network the OTA tuner portion will be turned off.
That's stupid. Whats the point of that? The whole point of using an antenna is to save $6/month. They should have just left that tuner out to save money on the unit.

EDIT: Wait a second, I misread. You have to subscribe to their HD package, not their local package. That's okay then.

hard drive

Scott Greczkowski said:
Universal HD is only available in to all HD customer while the Olympics are on, when the olympics are done in a few days Universal HD will then once again only be seen by those with a MPEG4 receiver.
So scott since you have had a chance to play with the 622 does the hard drive spin down after you turn the reciever off because thats a real pain when you have to uplug the reciever all the time such as the 921 reciever.:)

I do not believe it does as the receiver is always doing something. When you power down the 622 it tuned to the Video on Demand channels and downloads content to your hard drive.

Number of Timers

Is there a limit to the number of timers on each tuner or combined overall? Could you set say 60 on tuner 1, 58 on tuner 2, and 72 on the OTA turner? I always run into number of timer problems even with two PVR's. Great review. I hope to have my 622 in the next month or so.

Thanks

Universal HD is available until 1Mar. when it will go MPEG4.
cappy29 said:
I noticed you said that the universal hd was only availible to people with mpeg-4 recievers but i was watching it last night on my 921.

goaliebob99 said:
the 622 has a single user mode.. all you do is press the button on the front panel and it goes into single tuner mode :)

to utilize only one cable they would have to upgrade you to Dish Pro Plus and use a seporator.. otherwise a 2nd cable is needed :)

would i still be able to use pip and record a live show while watching a live one?

Isn't the dish 1000 a dish pro plus?

Jason

Scott, thanks for the great review. I can't wait to get mine on February 22.

I currently have a 311 and an 811 in my family room. I am returning the 811, and I have not decided whether I am keeping the 311.

Is it necessary to connect both satellite imputs to the 622? If so, can I use a splitter?

Yes both inputs need to be connected and no you can't use a splitter. When you have your installed the installer will upgrade your equipment and they SHOULD upgrade you to DishPro Plus technology which will allow you to use a Dish Pro Seperator (which looks like a splitter but is not) to use the existing cable and spit it off to both inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts