AZBOX First Look: AzBox miniMe American edition

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Good luck guys! I would've probably jumped on the early-ordering price too if I hadn't jumped on the early-ordering price for an Amiko Alien 2 just six months ago. (I guess I should update my signature...)

The MiniMe appears to be running Neutrino. From what little I've experimented with it on the Alien (it's another dual-flash-memory box), I like the look and feel of Neutrino a lot better than Enigma! It's easier (for me anyway) to find things in the menus, and it's a lot more responsive to the remote control (Enigma really drags sometimes). Hopefully the MiniMe edition will be the same, plus blind scan.

Good luck guys! I would've probably jumped on the early-ordering price too if I hadn't jumped on the early-ordering price for an Amiko Alien 2 just six months ago. (I guess I should update my signature...)

The MiniMe appears to be running Neutrino. From what little I've experimented with it on the Alien (it's another dual-flash-memory box), I like the look and feel of Neutrino a lot better than Enigma! It's easier (for me anyway) to find things in the menus, and it's a lot more responsive to the remote control (Enigma really drags sometimes). Hopefully the MiniMe edition will be the same, plus blind scan.

I dont remember reading on a review for the amiko alien 2, do we have one, search doesnt show it. Wont we want to compare it to the new MiniMe?
I will try dif search later.

I dont remember reading on a review for the amiko alien 2, do we have one, search doesnt show it. Wont we want to compare it to the new MiniMe?
I will try dif search later.

The Alien2 doesn't run Enigma or Neutrino out-of-the-box, it runs its own Linux-based OS called Spark, but they provide a second flash chip and boot code support for loading another OS.

There's a review in Tele-Satellite here: http://www.tele-satellite.com/TELE-satellite-1207/eng/amiko.pdf

It has a few unresolved issues. One of the biggest ones is that some, but not all, high-bitrate feeds, the most consistent ones being 720p with a symbol rate of 29270 from a certain sports network, will freeze once per second. They're supposedly working on that problem. A few other high-bitrate feeds with different symbol rates, usually 1080i, will stutter when viewed live, but are OK if recorded. (The 29270 ones won't even record right.) I don't know whether the two problems are related, but I'm hoping they are so they both get fixed at the same time.

My other main complaint is that the media player is awfully simplistic compared to other media players. It handles a decent variety of video formats, pretty much all the non-proprietary ones I've tried actually, but audio is a different story -- it pretty much only handles MP3. This is a downer for people like me who have their music libraries in FLAC format. (FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec.) Also, the navigation system is stupid. It allows you to filter directory listings for only movies, only music, or only pictures, but unlike other players, it won't memorize what directory each item was last found in -- for example, if you're playing music, and decide you want to play a movie, you can't just select the movie option and be in your movie folder, you have to navigate to your movie folder, and then when you're done, you have to navigate back to whatever you were looking at before that.

Personally, I am very satisfied with me Azbox Me and excited about the continuing progress being made on the firmware. People who bought it expecting it to blind scan just didn't do their homework. It is hands down better than any other box I own or have tried and the quality of picture is unbelievable.

I'd be interested in hearing how well the media player works, and what types of files it can play, since that's (in my opinion) the main reason for getting a Linux-based box instead of something cheaper. (Some of the cheap boxes have media players too, but I'm interested in playing from a network disk, which they don't seem to support -- on that note, I don't remember anybody answering my question of whether the Mini-Me supports wifi adapters with the existing firmware...)

All popular media formats are supported. The video player should support playback of MPEG1/2/4 (M1V, M2V, M4V); MPEG1/2 PS (M2P, MPG); MPEG2 Transport Stream (TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS), VOB, AVI, ASF, WMV, IFO, ISO; Matroska (MKV), MOV (H.264), MP4 or RMP4 files. The audio player should support playback of AAC, M4A, MPEG audio (MP1, MP2, MP3, MPA), WAV, WMA, FLAC or OGG formats. The online radio player can play any Icecast stream and includes over 2500 radio stations from Canada and the US out of the box. The only online audio streams not supported at this time are Microsoft's asf and wma formats but this will eventually be supported with a future firmware update.

Media can be played from a local disk connected via USB or eSATA. Media can also be played from a shared network drive using the NFS (Linux) or CIFS (Windows) protocols. NFS was tested as working out of the box but CIFS does not work yet in the 1.0 firmware version. However, this is a priority issue which will be fixed in the near future.

The miniMe American Edition supports connecting to wireless networks when using the WaveFocus wireless USB adapter which is sold separately by most AzBox Canada authorized dealers.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited:
and if it can run bandstacked LNB's?

for some reason, that info is lacking in new box roll outs...

Unfortunately, bandstacked LNB's are not supported yet but we will add support for these in a future firmware update.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

I have one now .I drive to dr.Sat in to see the Micro hd and the azbox miniMe to do blind scan and the two receivers are very good.But because the minime are only few days hold and only one update I pick the azbox .And Dr.Sat said in few days one new update for azbox premium plus

Any chance of a release of the firmware on your site so we can try it on our MiniMe's here in Europe?

Please note that the firmware used in the AzBox miniMe American Edition was custom made rather than modifying the the AZtrino source code like we did for our AzBox Me AZtrino NA edition firmware. Because of this, the AzBox miniMe American Edition firmware will not operate when flashed on non American Edition AzBox miniMe devices. This was required in order to protect intellectual property as we will be soon be implementing exclusive features for the North American market such as free and subscription based IPTV services.

However, we understand that there are users outside North America who appreciate the firmware we freely released so far for the AzBox Me and older AzBox HD models so we will creating an AZtrino NA edition firmware for the miniMe in due time which can be used on non American Edition devices.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Please note that the firmware used in the AzBox miniMe American Edition was custom made rather than modifying the the AZtrino source code like we did for our AzBox Me AZtrino NA edition firmware. Because of this, the AzBox miniMe American Edition firmware will not operate when flashed on non American Edition AzBox miniMe devices. This was required in order to protect intellectual property as we will be soon be implementing exclusive features for the North American market such as free and subscription based IPTV services.

However, we understand that there are users outside North America who appreciate the firmware we freely released so far for the AzBox Me and older AzBox HD models so we will creating an AZtrino NA edition firmware for the miniMe in due time which can be used on non American Edition devices.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Thanks for that. I have on order from Dr Sat via relations who live in Canada the MineMe to try. I for one appreciate the hard work in getting a decent blindscan for AZboxes. The North American version cannot be bettered in terms of the blind scan for the ME. I look forward to trying out the Minime, might take a while to get it, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

I have on order from Dr Sat, might take a while to get it, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Scopus, did they tell you of some delay in availability?
I ordered one from DR. Sat 9 days ago, I thought they were in stock per PwrSurge AzBox Canada, but it doesn't seem to have left the shop yet, even though I received a "expedited" Canada Post tracking number.

I ordered mine last Sunday and did not receive any confirmation email or tracking number so I emailed Dr sat and they replied that my order had processed and I would receive a tracking number on Monday. .
I ordered one from DR. Sat 9 days ago, I thought they were in stock per PwrSurge AzBox Canada, but it doesn't seem to have left the shop yet, even though I received a "expedited" Canada Post tracking number.

No , ordered on the The Ebay store, but not received any dispatch info yet or tracking number and I also ordered expedited delivery, I also sent Dr Sat an E-mail asking about dispatch but not yet received a reply.

Unfortunately, bandstacked LNB's are not supported yet but we will add support for these in a future firmware update.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada
Have you updated the firmware to support bandstacked LNB's yet? I find it a little silly how the ancient receiver that I have supports it, but the latest and greatest doesn't.

Have you updated the firmware to support bandstacked LNB's yet? I find it a little silly how the ancient receiver that I have supports it, but the latest and greatest doesn't.

We are working on coding support for bandstacked LNBF's as we speak. Just to confirm, is it C-band stacked LNBF's you are using? (i.e. using 5150 & 5750 L.O. frequencies)

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

We are working on coding support for bandstacked LNBF's as we speak. Just to confirm, is it C-band stacked LNBF's you are using? (i.e. using 5150 & 5750 L.O. frequencies)

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

I know this isnt my question to answer, but i do have an answer

for me- that answer to your question is yes AND
Both, c-band 5150-5750 and
KU FSS lnb (old dishnet linear lnb) 10750-13850,
i believe, someone jump in if the 13850 is wrong.
they are all i use.

Is there any update on the IPTV services? Or any place with more information on what all this might include?

For those of you who don't mind voiding your warranty as I live in the UK it doesn't really matter, the MiniMe American Edition can be reflashed with OAM or RSI by using the recovery button at the back. Mr Serge said I would brick my box if I did but it works and the web interface also works perfectly to reflash in either boot 1 or 2. But try this at your own risk!! and remember the American edition CANNOT be reflashed unless you send it back to AZBox Canada.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)