First Look: Dish Name Based Timers

Another good thread hijacked

Geesh,

Can't tell the book by reading the cover.

A great thread now with the last page and a half hijacked by talk radio and political commentary.

I expected more the the "The search button is your friend" guy

JohnR

SimpleSimon said:
Well, seems obvious to me. Liberals don't know how to manage a business. It's almost by definition. After all it's the liberals that are always screaming about evil corporations, so it simply stands to reason that they wouldn't be the ones running those corporations. :D

I'll be sure to tell Warren Buffet and Bill Gates. Of course, you could not to pay them for the time it would take them to snort in derision.

Air America from a business perspective has been problematic in the extreme. They screwed themselves from the start with the belief that they could simply buy stations all over the country. The market is extremely tight, and stations are either not for sale or very expensive. The demand that stations had to buy their whole line up or nothing at all was another dumb decision.

From a ratings perspective, it has been very successful. Considering that AA was never really supposed to be anything but a money sink for a long time, I would say that ratings success is more important than the business model failure.

Trying to equate business success with either a liberal or conservative ideology is simply so idiotic and factually wrong that I would expect conservatives to believe it absolutely and a priori. :D

SimpleSimon said:
Sorry - I forgot to put the big red JOKE flag at the end of my post. Thought the big grin would be a clue. Guess not.

I certainly saw your grin. I wonder why you did not see mine.

Sapient said:
I certainly saw your grin. I wonder why you did not see mine.
Oh - sorry guy - for some reason it was delayed in loading - it's there now.

Weird - same GIF file - all the grins should render at the same time.

I hope the name based recordings does not cause more negatives than positives. I wonder how many delays we can expect for this rollout (at least for some of the models such as the 721 that used to get the new features first but now gets them last).

Just curious, has there been any mention of how NBR will utilize the second tuner in two tuner dvrs? I'm assuming that it i will automatically record to the default tuner, but what if you've got two "season passes" on at the same time. Will it be smart enough to automatically use the second tuner?

A_Noland said:
I don't see why the actual recording part would work any different that it does now.

Well, right now, you pretty much have manually set up timers. It's basically not possible to have a conflict on a timer and you not know about it, because it will tell you when you set it up.

The problem w/ this scenario w/ NBR is that there is some implied automation. Things can change from week to week, so one week when you set up your priorities for NBR you may not have any conflicts, and everything will record on one tuner. What happens the next week when a network decides they want to move one of your shows up a half hour and now there's a conflict?

Will the lower priority show just not record, will it let you know there's a conflict and leave it up to you to resolve it, or will it be smart enough to use the other tuner if necessary?

I'm just curious, because if dish doesn't address this issue, NBR will not work very well at all. Currently people know they have to monitor their timers, and most accept this as a fact of using a dish dvr, but the point of NBR is that it should automate this process. I'm hoping they have addressed this issue, otherwise the same amount of monitoring may be necessary (if not more) once NBR is implemented.

skaeight said:
Well, right now, you pretty much have manually set up timers. It's basically not possible to have a conflict on a timer and you not know about it, because it will tell you when you set it up.

The problem w/ this scenario w/ NBR is that there is some implied automation. Things can change from week to week, so one week when you set up your priorities for NBR you may not have any conflicts, and everything will record on one tuner. What happens the next week when a network decides they want to move one of your shows up a half hour and now there's a conflict?

Will the lower priority show just not record, will it let you know there's a conflict and leave it up to you to resolve it, or will it be smart enough to use the other tuner if necessary?

I'm just curious, because if dish doesn't address this issue, NBR will not work very well at all. Currently people know they have to monitor their timers, and most accept this as a fact of using a dish dvr, but the point of NBR is that it should automate this process. I'm hoping they have addressed this issue, otherwise the same amount of monitoring may be necessary (if not more) once NBR is implemented.

Well from what I have read on this thread and my understanding of NBR and the priority is that the purpose of priority is to determine which show you would rather tape under this conflict. Since nobody here has had a lot of time to play with it, I am not sure if details to this issue are known. I am sure Dish is aware of it since this is a basic use case with NBR.

Priority based recording could lead to programs not getting recorded for sure as you described. As for warning of you of the conflict, I am not sure how this would work since it might not know the conflict till that day and you might be at work away from the TV. Maybe it will pop up a dialog and give you chance to over-ride it and if you don't reply it will just go based on priority. Currently that is what happens with the 721 then you have two timers set for the same time and you watching a channel other than the ones it needs to record.

This could cause delays on the release of NBR for the dual tuner receivers (522, 721, 921). How does the dual tuner Tivo's handle this? With the priority feature? Perhaps Dish Network will have to add the priority feature at the time that NBR is released on the dual tuner receivers in which could delay the rollout of the NBR software to those receivers.

Stargazer said:
This could cause delays on the release of NBR for the dual tuner receivers (522, 721, 921). How does the dual tuner Tivo's handle this? With the priority feature? Perhaps Dish Network will have to add the priority feature at the time that NBR is released on the dual tuner receivers in which could delay the rollout of the NBR software to those receivers.

From what I read. Priority is already part of the NBR feature.

Stargazer said:

Ha, slow down there. I would that they would have thought about this already. I was just speculating, and wondering.

I am hoping that the NBR will look to other channels when there is a triple conflict on the 721.

I have three network feeds, Topeka locals, Kansas City and LA. When there are three programs on in prime time at the same time, I hope that the recorder will then push the recording on one of them to the west coast feed for the show.

I also wonder where the recorder will take the recording, since my topeka locals are remapped from the 7000's. Not that that really matters i guess

I would like to choose a particular channel not to use (the Topeka fox feed audio leaves something to be desired, so I record the central time feed from the KC fox channel all the time)

The "new program only" option is, for me, the most anticipated feature. The shifting of start and end times of programs, comes in a close second.

JohnR said:
I am hoping that the NBR will look to other channels when there is a triple conflict on the 721.

I have three network feeds, Topeka locals, Kansas City and LA. When there are three programs on in prime time at the same time, I hope that the recorder will then push the recording on one of them to the west coast feed for the show.

I also wonder where the recorder will take the recording, since my topeka locals are remapped from the 7000's. Not that that really matters i guess

I would like to choose a particular channel not to use (the Topeka fox feed audio leaves something to be desired, so I record the central time feed from the KC fox channel all the time)

The "new program only" option is, for me, the most anticipated feature. The shifting of start and end times of programs, comes in a close second.

I have no idea how dish will implement this, but having it record from multiple channels is one feature I wish tivo would add. It is currently possible via wish lists, but not with regular season passes. There's probably a reason they set it up that way, but they should give the optiont to look to different channels.

I just hope dish handles the "new program only" option well.

Hopefully there might be some more details given at the charlie chat on monday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)