Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Once again SatelliteGuys gives you another first look, this time at the upcoming Dish ViP 612 HD DVR.

The Dish ViP 612 is almost exactly like the 622, however the differences are:

It only outputs to one TV (there is no TV2 output)
It does not do PIP
Only comes with one remote which can be used as UHF or IR
The color is black

Attached is the full official spec sheet from Dish Network which gives you more details.

My question to you is should I buy a 612 to review it? Everything about this unit is the same as the 622, do you think its worth it for me to spend my own personal money to review something that we already know how it works? Please let me know your thoughts on this. :)

Attachments

• ViP612_DVR.pdf
    397.5 KB · Views: 5,252
"My question to you is should I buy a 612 to review it? Everything about this unit is the same as the 622, do you think its worth it for me to spend my own personal money to review something that we already know how it works? Please let me know your thoughts on this. "

Definitely no. I don't see why but that's just my opinion. BTW, the title has 621.

By the time Dish sends out the 612 for me to review, the 613 (made up number) will be coming out.

I am still waiting for my 722 to review. (Ahem...) :D

No need to buy one. It's a 622 with no TV2 and it has an IR remote for TV1.

The only thing I would like to know is if the MPEG 4 decoder is the one from the 622 or from the 722?

It's basically a repackage, although it's a useful repackage and I will probably end up with one later on this year.

Save your money for the Sling-Dish extender products.

No PIP capability !

I wonder why that was excluded. I would really want that feature with a two tuner unit.

I really have a feeling this is a different design, hardware wise, from a 622/722... I think it'd be nice to get one just so someone can crack it open and show us the guts!!! If it were a 622 minus the TV2 output, I'd see no reason why we wouldn't have PIP... instead now it seems the second tuner is strictly for recording??? Come on! PIP is the best feature in single user mode... come on!!!

Business Expense! Besides, I'm sure you could pawn it off on a member for basically the same price you buy it at.

If you have time to review it, I'd say go for it. You are sure to get some traffic for it and of course the gratitude of members.

I'm still looking for the SINGLE TUNER HD PVR with the same interface as the 622. We don't all wanna buy new switches and run cables to our secondary and tertiary TV's.

Without PIP they may as well lose the "HD enthusiast" moniker on this unit. Its just a reduced cost HD DVR.

My question is, is this suppose to take the place of the 211 and adding a harddrive to it?

I agree by the way. Waste of money. Is this what Dish has been doing in its spare time?

"We don't all wanna buy new switches and run cables to our secondary and tertiary TV's."

You will still need two lines from a Dish Pro LNB or switch with this receiver. Single line from a Dish Pro Plus lnb or switch. It has two tuners.

"We don't all wanna buy new switches and run cables to our secondary and tertiary TV's."

You will still need two lines from a Dish Pro LNB or switch with this receiver. Single line from a Dish Pro Plus lnb or switch. It has two tuners.

Exactly my point. I don't want this receiver, I am looking for the SINGLE TUNER HD PVR.

Surely they are working on one, thinking all HD watchers want two runs to all their TV's isn't realistic. I've got a single SW64, had the same switch type forever (years and years - replaced it once), and unless they are gonna come upgrade me for free and run the wires, I'll stick with what I have even though I'm dieing for an HD PVR for my gameroom.

Exactly my point. I don't want this receiver, I am looking for the SINGLE TUNER HD PVR.

Surely they are working on one, thinking all HD watchers want two runs to all their TV's isn't realistic. I've got a single SW64, had the same switch type forever (years and years - replaced it once), and unless they are gonna come upgrade me for free and run the wires, I'll stick with what I have even though I'm dieing for an HD PVR for my gameroom.

A single tuner DVR will switch to the channel you are going to record in the middle of what you are already watching... you want this?

No 612

Mark at DishDepot has the 612 available for pre-order at $369. I've also ordered stuff from DishStore. Both are great. I would order from either again in the future.

I was thinking about this receiver but no PIP makes this a no brainer. For $80 more with PIP and more storage, I'll get the 722.

No reason to review the 612. Save your rmoney.

A number of ?

I have a 622 and a 211 leased. Will a 612 exceed their 4 tuner lease limit? Or will they allow it, since it is only a single output? I just put a HD tv in a room with a Dish 510. Actually all I need is a single tuner HD DVR: but that doesn't exist.

Anyone know the price to buy a 612? Also, I only have one wire into that room. Dish sent me a splitter, telling me I could use it to connect the 510 and a 211. That didn't work! But would it work for the612?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts