FIRST LOOK: Dish ViP 612 HD DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Once again SatelliteGuys gives you another first look, this time at the upcoming Dish ViP 612 HD DVR.

The Dish ViP 612 is almost exactly like the 622, however the differences are:

It only outputs to one TV (there is no TV2 output)
It does not do PIP
Only comes with one remote which can be used as UHF or IR
The color is black

Attached is the full official spec sheet from Dish Network which gives you more details.

My question to you is should I buy a 612 to review it? Everything about this unit is the same as the 622, do you think its worth it for me to spend my own personal money to review something that we already know how it works? Please let me know your thoughts on this. :)
the no PIP capability is a head scratcher. Makes no sense whatsoever..
We got a tech bulleting on them Thursday.
Here's one quirk that is really stupid. When first connecting and setting up. check switch, the remote wil not control the receiver. Front panel button must be used to set up and download initial software. Only then is the remote active..
I am hearing several issues regarding who is eligible to lease the 612. One stated the customer needed to lease a 722 in order to get a 612.
So what's the deal?

Once again SatelliteGuys gives you another first look, this time at the upcoming Dish ViP 612 HD DVR.

The Dish ViP 612 is almost exactly like the 622, however the differences are:

It only outputs to one TV (there is no TV2 output)
It does not do PIP
Only comes with one remote which can be used as UHF or IR
The color is black

Attached is the full official spec sheet from Dish Network which gives you more details.

My question to you is should I buy a 612 to review it? Everything about this unit is the same as the 622, do you think its worth it for me to spend my own personal money to review something that we already know how it works? Please let me know your thoughts on this. :)
oh yeah ,the 612 takes up to 30 mins to download...Whaty the hell are these people thinking.

Does the 612 come with a separator so I can run one RG6 cable? thanks
yes..the 612 operates on the same Dish Pro Plus technology of other dual tuner receivers..
I still think it is ridiculous that PIP capability is not available on the 612...
The user can toggle between tv inputs. But that's all...."No PIP..612 not for me"....

I'd love to know if this box has the 722 or 622 chip set. I've never used the PiP on anything I own so that doesn't matter. What a great replacement for the 211.

I've heard, like the 222, it's a different set from the Broadcoms (and the 222 for that manner). Just a rumor I've heard of course, but could explain the no PIP. I can't wait until someone has one and takes a peek!

Could you post a picture of the ViP222's PCB ?

I'm not that lucky but... there's some news releases to back up my claim...

One example is at: Conexant 2Q07 update (iLocus)

A blurb:
Conexant announced some routine new designs during the quarter. Only significant product announcement was the availability of SoC for Fiber Optic Gateway. Colorado based EchoStar Communications, DBS providers, started shipping ViP222™ based HDTV STB which is all developed over Conexant platform.

612 is a waste of breath and time. This unit benefits E from a cost perspective and does not benefit the customer with any interesting features not found on a 722 or 622. I dont think anyone shoudl waste their money to review this.

vip 612

i have 2 vip 612 dvr and they SUCK..
1 they lose sound constantly, connected with hdmi cable. and yes its not the cable or tv. this happens on both setups i have
also loses sat connection between 110 and 119 tech was just here and verified it.
so in 3 weeks this will be the 3rd 612 to be shipped to me

I have a similar (HDMI complaint) thread going the the HD subforum.......

I wonder if Dish will surrender and swap out the flawed 612's for 722's if a customer demands fully/correctly functioning HDMI?

I think I will float the idea by them.....

Exactly my point. I don't want this receiver, I am looking for the SINGLE TUNER HD PVR.

I'm right there with ya. I want to use a single tuner HD PVR for my single HDTV. I don't care about PIP (never use it), don't want to give up my 2 sd dual receivers, and don't want to rewire the house! Hope one comes soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)