FIRST LOOK: Dish ViP722 Receiver!

Hmm, noticed broadcom introduced the "B" version of the 7400. Wonder which one is inside the 722. Seems like the B adds a few codecs, although the old 7400 already supported VC-1 like Smith said.

http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=970100

The new chip runs Java OCAP extensions -- the only other substantive difference is transfer to a 65nm line which will mean less heat from the chip; so less cooling. The OCAP add-on makes the chip appropriate for the next generation of Open CAble Platform set top boxes.

Cheers,

Well, I have always preferred leasing to owning, because I see about a 3 yr. cycle of "new stuff that I've just got to have"....however, this ain't it. Think I'll keep the 622 over this. I don't have access to broadband, so the VOD wouldn't be available for me anyway.

Would much rather E* offer 1/2 dozen HD PPV channels with good movies. I've used cable VOD at my mothers house & it is really nice, but not HD. Here at home, we just scan the PPV's every week or two, go ahead & buy what we like & DVR them, then we have our own VOD at hand - and we can watch them more than once (or wife & I can watch at a different time than the various groups of teenagers that seem to appear in my living room).

This 722 has only 30 hrs of HD which makes you go "what?". The storage capacity is what we need. This is just a 622 with nothing more to offer except VOD on Demand which I never use on cable. Give us the storage capacity and we will be happy.

What I'm really waiting for is a receiver with a HD TV2 output for TVs with a ATSC/QAM tuner. I think we're still a couple of years away though...

What I'm really waiting for is a receiver with a HD TV2 output for TVs with a ATSC/QAM tuner. I think we're still a couple of years away though...

Sorry, this isn't going to happen. If it outputs HD on ATSC, that signal can be recorded (in HD) by a HTPC, or, for that matter, by another 622/722 or Tivo. :eek:

Brad

Claude...maybe you can figure out how to stock the black bezels?!?! I know I'd buy some.

With a long history of never utilized/activated features on their receivers what do you want to bet we never see USB external storage on the 622, you'll need a 722.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=76574

I doubt it. Since the 622 and 722 is almost the same. It would be stupid on their part; now... I fully know they make bad decisions all the time, but that would be really stupid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts