First Look: DishPro Plus Technology

DPP and OTA

Scott,

Is there going to be a DPP 34 switch? I really do not need a DPP 44.
Also if one should not use the diplexor at receiver end, how does one combine and split the OTA signal in the DPP setup?

Thanks.

Neilson

Currently there is no way to Diplex in an OTA signal using DPP technology.

BTW I am told that a Quad DishPro Plus LNB is still a ways away from being released. We will see the twin LNB a long time before we will see the quad.

I have a 105 Superdish that supports Three 301"s. If I replace one of the 301's with a duel tuner DVR/PVR and replace the lnb's with the new DPPlnb's will the remaining 301's be compatible? Also does anyone have any idea what the cost of the DPPlnb's will be? Thanks in advance.

The newest recievers with the tuner format will be splitter compatable.. 311, 322, 522, 811

Not sure about the 921 and I'm pretty sure the 721 isn't. Someone will need to check out the back of the 921 to see if it says DishPro Plus.

The older DP recievers, 301, 501, 508, 510 are NOT Dish Pro Plus splitter compatable. In other words, where you can split a line with a seperator into 2-311's, you will need two lines from a DPPTwin to 2-301's.

Now the change from 301 to 311 seems a bit more in depth than a name change and an embedded card, huh?

Scott Greczkowski said:

BTW I am told that a Quad DishPro Plus LNB is still a ways away from being released. We will see the twin LNB a long time before we will see the quad.

I don't see the quad as being widely used. It all depends on the output capability of the DPPTwin.

Can you run 4 Tuners off of two lines, split into 2 322's? If so, anything beyond the Twin will be few and far between..

I really don't want to run another line to support a duel tuner and I will not replace my 301's just for the sake of one duel tuner. geeeze I bet I will eventually run that additional line because of my wifes persistence in getting those features offered on a duel tuner. (should not have told her about those DVR's and kept my big mouth shut.) Running that additional line is going to be a nightmare in the daytime.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Scott
Please foregive my lack of knowledge but -
1) What is the major difference/benefits beween the DPP Twin and Quad LNBs - e.g. does it pay to wait for the quard?
2) I take it that a Diplex (Sat/OTA) can not be used on any DPP cable even one that is not used for 2 tuners. But a plain DP line can support a Diplex. Is this correct?
Thank you

Scott Greczkowski said:
Why can't a diplexer be used with DishPro Plus?

I can't think of any reason - as long as the diplexers are 'inside' the switch and separator. Something like this:

Code:
  OTA ----------.                      .-------------------------->
                |                      |
                V                      |
DPP34 ----> Diplexer -----/ /----> Diplexer -----> Separator ----->
                                                       |
                                                       '---------->

Scott Greczkowski said:
Can you elaborate on this.
Why can't it be diplexed in after DPP switch and diplexed out before the separator?

No you cannot use the separator to feed two different units, only two feeds on the same unit. This was stated by Dish, and if you think about it, there is a good reason. The reason is that there is no way to control what satellite feeds are coming down the cable from two different reciever. A single reciever can signal the DPP44 which two signals it needs (even the same signal 2x) down the cable. Two separate recievers could not coordinate this.

mike123abc said:
No you cannot use the separator to feed two different units, only two feeds on the same unit. This was stated by Dish, and if you think about it, there is a good reason. The reason is that there is no way to control what satellite feeds are coming down the cable from two different reciever. A single reciever can signal the DPP44 which two signals it needs (even the same signal 2x) down the cable. Two separate recievers could not coordinate this.
You're probably right - considering the labels on the separator.

However, they COULD have provided 2 control channels - one on each port.
It looks to me like DiSEqC would allow for this - but maybe Dish didn't take that path. The separator could "move" the second ports commands to a different band that the DPP switches were expecting. Of course, this would mean that the separator would have to be more than a simple block converter - which is what I'm guessing it is.

The question that we'll probably never have an answer to is why they didn't - or for that matter how the thing actually works in the first place.

Who knows, and I'm just speculating here.

I'm thinking the 721 is too old, and hasn't production stopped?

Besides, you basically get the same functionality on the 522 when the software gets updated for 1 tv two tuner usage.

SimpleSimon said:
You're probably right - considering the labels on the separator.

However, they COULD have provided 2 control channels - one on each port.
It looks to me like DiSEqC would allow for this - but maybe Dish didn't take that path. The separator could "move" the second ports commands to a different band that the DPP switches were expecting. Of course, this would mean that the separator would have to be more than a simple block converter - which is what I'm guessing it is.

The question that we'll probably never have an answer to is why they didn't - or for that matter how the thing actually works in the first place.

Who knows, and I'm just speculating here.

Who knows (just speculating again) they would probably have to add a menu option to all single tuner boxes to tell the box that it is the "B" unit, causing it to use the "B" controls (provided there are now two control channels). But, then even more problems will pop up since people will have trouble thinking why their legacy stuff will not work over the splitter too, probably too much effort, easier to just get it working in 2 tuner boxes and forget about it.

bcshields said:
I'm thinking the 721 is too old, and hasn't production stopped?

Besides, you basically get the same functionality on the 522 when the software gets updated for 1 tv two tuner usage.
I believe you are mistaken. The separator eliminates the need for a 2nd RG-6 to feed the 2nd tuner. Single mode won't help that in the least.

mike123abc said:
Who knows (just speculating again) they would probably have to add a menu option to all single tuner boxes to tell the box that it is the "B" unit, causing it to use the "B" controls (provided there are now two control channels). But, then even more problems will pop up since people will have trouble thinking why their legacy stuff will not work over the splitter too, probably too much effort, easier to just get it working in 2 tuner boxes and forget about it.
Given their history, that's probably how E* thought about it. But if you add some smarts to the separator, the receiver wouldn't need to know which port it was on - the separator would translate regular commands to a different place and the DPP switch would be looking for them there.

DishPro is little more than a very old technology known as frequency division multiplexing, which is used in telephony and elsewhere. Multiple control systems like this have been around since then, and probably before.

Consider your telephone [receiver] - it has no clue which channel it's using after it hits the first substation [separator] on the way to the C.O. [DPP switch], yet everything works. This is very common in rural areas, less so in cities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts