First Look: DishPro Plus Technology

SimpleSimon said:
I believe you are mistaken. The separator eliminates the need for a 2nd RG-6 to feed the 2nd tuner. Single mode won't help that in the least.

I meant that the 721 has been around the block, so to speak... meaning that it probably isn't Dishpro plus compatable.. and why would Dish need the 721 to be DPP Compatable when Single Moded 522 does the same thing.

GaryPen said:
I believe that Scott said the 721 is DPP-compatible. (This is going to be on the test.)
But the 721 does *NOT* have a DPP logo on it, and all indications before now were that the 721 would require two wires even with a DPP44. Which is it, Scott? (Especially considering that 522 single mode is just around the corner.) And do you have an availability date on the DPP Twin LNBF (which would be better for me than a DPP44)?

SimpleSimon said:
Given their history, that's probably how E* thought about it. But if you add some smarts to the separator, the receiver wouldn't need to know which port it was on - the separator would translate regular commands to a different place and the DPP switch would be looking for them there.

DishPro is little more than a very old technology known as frequency division multiplexing, which is used in telephony and elsewhere. Multiple control systems like this have been around since then, and probably before.

Consider your telephone [receiver] - it has no clue which channel it's using after it hits the first substation [separator] on the way to the C.O. [DPP switch], yet everything works. This is very common in rural areas, less so in cities.
Sounds a lot like my idea for a future DPP separator box (E* or Microyal, if you're reading this, send me a PM and let's talk royalties): "Split" (yes I know "it's not a splitter") a DPP signal into two legacy signals.

DPP merely stacks two different inputs (each one TP polarity of one satellite) onto one cable, a natural extension of DishPro which stacks both polarities of one satellite. You can't convert DPP to ordinary DishPro, but you CAN convert it into two legacy (one-polarity, one-satellite) connections. That would extend DPP support to almost every E* receiver ever made; the only potential problem is if one satellite is FSS (SuperDish 105/121).

The smarts of such a separator would be in converting incoming legacy switch commands (emulating a set of cascaded switches, depending on the satellites and DPP equipment involved) into DiSEqC commands for the DPP44 or DPP LNBF. It would also block-downconvert the "high" (1650-2150 MHz) side of the DPP signal to feed the second legacy cable at 950-1450 MHz; as I understand (from pictures of earlier DPP separator concepts), the current separator leaves the #2 signal at 1650-2150.

BTW, I don't see why your diplexor diagram wouldn't work; the DPP separator picture confirms that the DPP signal is confined to 950-2150 MHz, just like ordinary DishPro. As long as both diplexors are between the DPP44 (or DPP LNBF) and the separator with no other DPP equipment between them, any diplexors that work with DishPro should work with DPP also, since no OTA signals would reach DPP equipment, and power/DiSEqC-passing issues should be the same as with DishPro.

RBBrittain said:
But the 721 does *NOT* have a DPP logo on it, and all indications before now were that the 721 would require two wires even with a DPP44. Which is it, Scott? (Especially considering that 522 single mode is just around the corner.) And do you have an availability date on the DPP Twin LNBF (which would be better for me than a DPP44)?
Please note that 522 single mode has nothing to do with the number of satellite feeds that are needed, which is one per tuner.

The only thing the separator does is keep you from having to make two runs all the way to the switch - bu you DO have to make 2 runs from the separator. Most of the time they will be like 6 inch cables, but the back of the 522 will have both satellite inputs pluggd in.

RBBrittain said:
I am told that YES the 721 is Dishpro plus ready.

Remember you run 1 wire in the house, but at the receiver (ie 721) you put a seperator in the line and then have 2 wires that get pluged into the Satellite inputs.

The DishPro Twin should be available in a few weeks. DPP44's start shipping next week in extremely limited quantities.

SimpleSimon said:
Please note that 522 single mode has nothing to do with the number of satellite feeds that are needed, which is one per tuner.

The only thing the separator does is keep you from having to make two runs all the way to the switch - bu you DO have to make 2 runs from the separator. Most of the time they will be like 6 inch cables, but the back of the 522 will have both satellite inputs pluggd in.
That's what I understood too. The problem was that if the 721 wasn't DPP-ready (Scott insists it is), it would still require two COMPLETE runs, i.e., two wires through the wall. DPP-ready equipment (like the 522) only requires one at the wall; the separator and its cables just add to the "spaghetti pile" in back.

I thought E* would NOT write a DPP firmware upgrade for the out-of-production 721 at the same time they were making the 522 its equal by finally adding single mode; guess I was wrong. Since I'm getting a 522 (SBC is supposed to ship it in about a week--they miswrote my original order and installed a 311), it's not that big a deal to me personally; but it's great for those who bought a 721 to avoid the dreaded DVR fee.

Two more questions:

1. Will the DPP LNBF support legacy receivers without an adapter, like the DPP44?

2. Did anyone notice that the Check Switch screen in Scott's photos shows a 121 satellite on each input--yet the SuperDISH box is NOT checked? How can that be?

RBBrittain said:
... 2. Did anyone notice that the Check Switch screen in Scott's photos shows a 121 satellite on each input--yet the SuperDISH box is NOT checked? How can that be?
SuperDish is aimed differently than Dish 500 or Dish 300. I'm not sure, but I think the only difference is what azimuth & elevation it'll show you. That's all the difference I can tell with my 921.

Could you test my theory?

Can someone in the know tell me if the necessary power inserter has to be installed pretty close to the actual DPP switch? Be real easy if I can install that inside my apartment closer to the receiver if at all possible in front of the separator perhaps, but I'm guessing thats not possible. I don't think my landlord would be real crazy about yet another hole being drilled just for the power inserter alone. Don't even remember the initial specs of the DPP switch calling for a power inserter back when it was first mentioned a long time ago. One thing in my favor possibly is that my cable run is pretty short from the Dish to the 721. Hope this isn't the dealbreaker that I think it could be.

I'd anticipate no problem with putting the power inserter in the rats nest behind the TV. :)

Maybe it's an issue with 200' cable runs, but not for an apartment hookup.

Review the pictures in Scott's opening post for this thread, especially the first one, which shows the inserter hooked directly to the separator whose outputs go to a (unseen) receiver. Of course, the other side of the inserter goes to DPP44 Port #1.

Does anyone care to spectulate what the "seperator" actually is? Based on the size & price, it has to be pretty simple--i.e. no active devices.

The seperator should be about the same size as a sw-21 with about the same price, around $15, from what I read in another thread. The switch is probably going to be over $100.

SimpleSimon said:
It may be nothing more than a bandpass splitter (diplexer).
2003 concept photos of the separator (then called a "diplexer", but apparently changed to avoid confusion with OTA and other diplexers) appear to confirm this; those photos showed the input as 950-2150 MHz, output 1 as 950-1450 MHz and power/DiSEqC-passing, and output 2 as 1650-2150 MHz. Though the output frequencies aren't shown on the final separator, the input-frequencies and power/DiSEqC-passing markings are the same as the concept model. The final model seems far too small to contain any kind of block converter (up or down), so I strongly suspect it's just a bandpass splitter, like the concept model.

SimpleSimon said:
SuperDish is aimed differently than Dish 500 or Dish 300. I'm not sure, but I think the only difference is what azimuth & elevation it'll show you. That's all the difference I can tell with my 921.

Could you test my theory?
All I have is a Dish500 with DP Twin LNBF and a 311 (due to be replaced by a 522, hence my interest in DPP), but I tried Check Switch with SuperDish checked; didn't seem to make any difference in the results, except to change the number after "DP-Twin" at the top. But if that only affects azimuth and elevation, then why is there a SuperDish box on Check Switch--in addition to the choice of Dish300, Dish500, or SuperDish on the Peak Angles screen (which gives you azimuth and elevation)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)