First Look: DishPro Plus Technology

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
RBBrittain said:
All I have is a Dish500 with DP Twin LNBF and a 311 (due to be replaced by a 522, hence my interest in DPP), but I tried Check Switch with SuperDish checked; didn't seem to make any difference in the results, except to change the number after "DP-Twin" at the top. But if that only affects azimuth and elevation, then why is there a SuperDish box on Check Switch--in addition to the choice of Dish300, Dish500, or SuperDish on the Peak Angles screen (which gives you azimuth and elevation)?
Good point. I've got no clue.

SimpleSimon said:
And the power/DiSEqC-passing only being on one side explains why it will only work on x2x receivers.
Of course, the "super-separator" we've discussed earlier (DPP input, legacy outputs) wouldn't be constrained by that; it would translate legacy switch commands from both receivers into DPP-compatible DiSEqC commands.

But this raises another question: Why can't you substitute an ordinary DishPro splitter for the separator? (That is, as long as you still use a DPP switch or LNBF, *and* the DC-pass side of the splitter is connected to input 1.) The only difference I see between them is that while the splitter would pass both halves of the DPP signal to each side, the separator gives each side only one half; in both cases only input 1 would send DiSEqC and DC. The only way a x2x would know the difference is if it tested for DPP by detecting band configuration (low band only on input 1, high band only on input 2); if it relied solely on signaling and DiSEqC/DC status, splitter vs. separator would make no difference at all.

I see DishStore.NET warns against using a DishPro splitter to feed dual-tuner receivers--but only with specific LNBFs and switches, none of them DPP. (A splitter would work to feed a single-satellite DishPro LNBF, which is what it's made for, to a x2x.) But then Scott's original post warns that "(i)f you try to use a spillter or diplexor in place of a seperator you WILL damage your equipment." Is anyone in a position to test this, or explain why? Or is this just an excuse for E* to charge more for separators than splitters?

IceMan5043 said:
I have my zip code plugged in (with corresponding azimuth and elevation levels) and right next to that have Dish 500 selected. However, I have a SuperDish. Is that bad?
IF you actually have your SuperDish aimed at those numbers, it's bad; a SuperDish needs to be aimed directly at the FSS satellite it receives (105 or 121), so Dish500 numbers won't work. However, if your installer properly aimed your dish to begin with (which I suspect is what happened), changing the entries on that screen won't affect reception at all; it's only a guide to tell installers where to aim the dish. If your installer already knows the proper azimuth, elevation and skew for SuperDish in your area, he doesn't need that screen.

If you need further assistance, please repost your problem as a new topic.

IceMan5043 said:
I have my zip code plugged in (with corresponding azimuth and elevation levels) and right next to that have Dish 500 selected. However, I have a SuperDish. Is that bad?
No - the numbers on the Point Dish screen are just to help you aim it. Go ahead and select SuperDish, and you'll probably see them change because of the unit's different geometry.

There seems to be a SuperDish CheckBox on the CheckDish screen of at least some receivers that MAY have some purpose.

Shouldnt that "separator" work the same way as a satellite splitter that passes d.c. on only one side? I almost have to believe that this is just to make some extra loot.

msarback said:
Shouldnt that "separator" work the same way as a satellite splitter that passes d.c. on only one side? I almost have to believe that this is just to make some extra loot.
No, it's NOT a splitter. Some folks have been calling it that, but I try to nip that in the bud when I see it.

It is a form of unstacker that is unique to the DishPro band-stacking setup.

SimpleSimon said:
No, it's NOT a splitter. Some folks have been calling it that, but I try to nip that in the bud when I see it.

It is a form of unstacker that is unique to the DishPro band-stacking setup.
I think I asked a similar question earlier in this thread and never got a response.

I had already figured out that the separator passes the low band (950-1450 MHz) to output 1, and the high band (1650-2150 MHz) to output 2; power and DiSEqC are passed through output 1. Neither signal is down-converted; they arrive at each output in the same band where the DPP device (switch or LNBF) put it.

The only difference I see between this and an ordinary DishPro splitter is that the splitter passes both bands to both outputs; AFAIK, a DishPro splitter would pass power and DiSEqC through output 1 and block them on output 2, just like the separator does.

Yes, there *is* a distinction between a DishPro splitter and a DPP separator, but I still don't see what difference it makes in a "separator situation", as long as the x2x's input 1 gets the low band and produces power and DiSEqC, while input 2 gets the high band--all of which can be done by either device.

Of course, you can't use a separator where a splitter is called for; the separator only passes one band on each side. But what keeps you from using a splitter where a separator is called for? (As long as both are DishPro, of course.) The only thing I can think of is that E* has logic in the x2x receivers so that DPP activates ONLY if it gets JUST the low band on input 1 and JUST the high band on input 2.

(BTW, I won't get to test this myself; I finally got my 522, but it's fed the old-fashioned way, with two separate cables and no DPP equipment.)

RBB: I believe you - maybe. How/when/where did you get this wealth of information?

Yeah, if E* gear were truly 'smart' and used DiSeqC 'correctly', an ordinary splitter would work just fine, but nnnooooooo, E* had to screw it up for some reason.

I have two 721's,a 510 & a old JVC DVHS/5000 (non Dish Pro). I only need it to work with a Dish 500 as I just need the 110 & 119 satellites. Since this switch has four outputs could I hook two of the outputs to the 721's with the Dish Pro Separators and the other two receivers to the other two outputs? Thanks in advance for your help.

Murray

I am changing my post as my question is: Can I use the DishPro Plus 44 Switch to hook up four separate receivers that include two 721's? A currently have two Dish 500's one uses a 6 to 4 switch on the 721's. The other Dish 500 uses a legacy twin for a 510 & a JVC DVHS/5000.

I have a Pro Quad could I use this in combination with the DishPro Plus 44 Switch. Since the DishPro Plus 44 Switch has all four outputs. Can I run one wire from each output to the receivers and use a Dish pro Separator at each of the 721's? I would love to have only one Dish and get rid of a lot of cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)