First Look - New Dish 721 Software with OpenTV!

More Important on the 721 !

Please fix the timer bug that when 2 show are set to record at same time one gets 16 to 19 seconds, the other will record normal. Running L116, the 721 does this mostly when unit is turned OFF in unattended mode. If unit is ON it will display use main to record dialog. Anypone else having this happen?

rc

Hi Scott, Great review. Cant wait to see the new changes. My question is are there any bug fixes with this release. The one that has got me is the midnight recording of a show, it is supposed to record Las Vegas at 12 Midnight on NBC West on Monday night. Sometimes it does and other times it will record that time on Tuesday night and other times it wont record at all.
I have also had the issue with the short timers (16 seconds) as mentioned by someone previously.

As always Thank You Scott

Stargazer said:
I also REALLY like the DishPlayer 7100/7200 EPG but aint the 721 EPG identical to it?
From a long time ago when I used a 7100 till now, the 721 seems identical to what I remember. But Scott is not the first I've heard to say there was a difference.

I know that the menus and such are different, but the guide is identical to what I remember from the 7100. Is there actually a difference?

Ronster said:
The one that has got me is the midnight recording of a show, it is supposed to record Las Vegas at 12 Midnight on NBC West on Monday night. Sometimes it does and other times it will record that time on Tuesday night and other times it wont record at all.
I had a problem with a midnight recording, but what would happen to me was it would record Saturday night at midnight, and then would repeat and record again the following night.

As soon as I changed the start time to 11:59PM, the problem went away.

Yes, I also remember the difference in the menu's but do not remember the difference in the EPG. I like the dropdown menu feature while viewing tv that the 721 has, but the DirecTv RCA among other receivers had this for years, yet only Dish's most expensive receivers have them. Its like a windows program (Linux) on a computer.

Stargazer said:
Yes, I also remember the difference in the menu's but do not remember the difference in the EPG. I like the dropdown menu feature while viewing tv that the 721 has, but the DirecTv RCA among other receivers had this for years, yet only Dish's most expensive receivers have them. Its like a windows program (Linux) on a computer.

Yeah, that's pretty nice, better than the full menus that take up the whole screen. But I actually prefer the 322/522 main menus over the 721s. Even though the picture is smaller, i like being able to see the whole screen.

I have not messed with the 322/522 firsthand yet so I still yet to have an opinion of that vs. what we have seen so far.

I was told earlier today that we could see it by Next Wednesday. (just don't hold me to that)

The software has been running GREAT for me!!!

I guess Dish chose not to announce this because they would be afraid of delays. I personally do not think we will see it next Wednesday but that would be nice. It would also be nice if they would send a notice to the DVR users of the new feature when it does come about so that they know to start using it.

Hey Scott with all this Dish/Viacom news is there any update on the 721's
Software Upgrade coming or are they all working on the Viacom deal including the software teams.

Beats me. From what I knew a week or two ago it was scheduled to be released Today, however I have not heard anything nor am I expecting it today.

While it runs great it is still missing most of the OpenTV applications, I don't know what the holdup is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)