First Look: The New Weather Channel Interactive

Will 721's Need Software Upgrades

Will the 721's that get the new weather update need a software update to get the new deal or will it get it without a update.

What receivers could be considered as NOT interactive? Surely everything out since the 301 is interactive, and several before that. What would classify a receiver as NOT interactive? Software, I understand. But we "interact" with our sets all the time, so perhaps the word choice is unfortunate.

Anyway, again: What models will NOT be getting this feature?

Billh:

Not sure I understand the question. A software update is how they provide the feature.

What receivers could be considered as NOT interactive?

Anyway, again: What models will NOT be getting this feature?

If it dont have Dish Home on it, then it won't get the new Weather Channel Interactive.

If you can tune to channel 100 and use Dish Home then your receiver will get it sooner or later. :)

is Software update needed

Billh:

Not sure I understand the question. A software update is how they provide the feature.

My 721 is on software version 322. Will 322 need to be upgraded to something else before I can get the new interactive weather. I can already get the interactive stuff on channel 100, like bloomberg and sports etc.

My 721 is on software version 322. Will 322 need to be upgraded to something else before I can get the new interactive weather. I can already get the interactive stuff on channel 100, like bloomberg and sports etc.
Nope. You will get it with no software update. The weather channel application is actually already up there running, they just change the codes to make it available to specific boxes.

I just found out a few moments ago that on Wednesday The Weather Channel application will go live on 25% of the Interactive Compatable Receviers.

:)

The other 90% will get it at a future date using Echostar math.

Ya know, how two months from now equals 14 months from now when referring to bug fixes.

Don't mind me... I'm cranky that my 622 HDMI port died on receiver #2 this week...

All joking and sarcasm aside, it looks like it will be good addition whenever it shows up....

I never missed NBR until I started using it on the ViP622. Now I miss it on my 721.

Now the 721 will have a nice feature the ViP622 doesn't. I guess I'll have to pick which to watch to get which feature. But I think the weather feature will be very nice. I might even get my in-laws to use it. Naw, what was I thinking?

I use my 721 for recording movies and select shows but do the bulk of my recording on the 522 now because of the name based recording.

Where you live would not determine who gets the software. There would be no reason why they would launch it by zipcodes. They would launch it based upon the revision of that model number. All receivers would get the same code so it would make no difference who got what. The code is not specific to the region it is being sent to.

All receiver models with 3 numbers (that are DP - DishPro or DPP - Dish Pro Plus) have OpenTv and would get the weather application (111, 301, 311, 501, 508, 510, 721, 921, 322, 622, 525, 622) along with the 3900, 4900, and there are problably some others that I forgot to type.

Just FYI,

I have just received a call from Dish Network and was told that they found an issue that MAY keep this from rolling out tommorow.

I will let you know if I hear more, I am supposed to get a call back.

well at least they are telling you that it may not happen tomorrow, unlike that directv sv issue last year.

Good move by dish network, by saying that it may not happen tomorrow.

Just like Wal-Farts - Rollback - In this case rollback the release date. Why didn't they find this problem until the day before the release I wonder. They will get it when they get it. Better to not release it if it has a bug.

622 backhaul question

Homeowners Association on the Warpath - Advice Please!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts