First Look: TV2 IR Converter Kit

FYI This works great with Tivo.

The adaptor requires that TV2 remote have address 1. I use a logitech remote so unfortunately the default logitech settings also require address 1. So, you need to spend a few minutes learning new IR codes with your remote.

Here's what I did.

Set TV2 to 1 so Tivo would work via IR and this cool adapter.
Set TV1 to 2 and used the Logitech software to relearn the buttons from my Dish remote programmed to 2.

All works well now. My Tivo changes the channels (via my logitech remote) on TV2, and I can also manage TV1 with the same remote.

Very happy and everything works very very slick. $50 well spent.

I havn't read through all 13 pages so somebody might of already addressed this, but... how does this differ from the ol 1980's era VCR Rabbit devices?
I realize they are a bit bigger boxes but, isn't the basis of both of these the same?

I just ordered one this week from dishstore.net, the sponsor at the top of this page, should be here Friday. Quick service, ordered late in the evening, shipped the next day.

I emailed DN tech support & asked if the tv2 ir converter could be plugged in to a Xantech ir distribution system using the slingbox cable and so far have not received an answer. I did however get it to work by just using black electrical tape to position a xantech emitter over the ir reciever on the tv2 ir converter box, not as clean as using the cable but it does work.

Looking at the directions for the converter when it says, "Change the key or switch (depending on your remote control) to IR." does that mean flipping the blue key over to the black key on the TV2 remote (for a 722 with a 6.3 remote)?

Also the directions say, "On the back of the TV2 IR Converter, there are two switches: TV and Band. Using a small, thin, and pointy object (such as a paper clip or screwdriver), select either TV2 or TV1, depending on which TV the converter is connected to." How can the converted be hooked up to TV1 -- there is no RF antenna input for TV1?

How can the converted be hooked up to TV1 -- there is no RF antenna input for TV1?
There is only one RF antenna input, and it works for control of either TV1 or TV2. TV1 can be set to accept the UHF signal as well as the default IR signal. TV2 can (supposedly) only accept the UHF signal.

Couldn't get the TV2 IR Converter to work on my VIP722, any hints/help will be greatly apprecited. I've checked my remotes' addresses, and they are: TV1 is 8, TV2 is 1(A). I did make sure the swtiches on the converter are set to TV2 and A. A few questions:
1. I used the splitter that came with the kit to connect one input to the UHF antenna, and the other input to the receiver input of the converter kit box. The UHF part still worked, I meant the remote control can control the VIP722.
2. Does it matter to have the VIP722 composite A/V connected to the SlingClassic, or it must be connected via Coax?
3. By any chance my current Slingbox does not have the right IR code? I've tried all of the following codes: VIP622, Others Code 1 to Code 14. (Note: VIP722 is not on the list of my firmware version).

Take the Slingbox configuration "out of the loop" by testing your converter using an IR remote. If that works, then you know your Slingbox needs further attention. If the remote does not work, then that suggests the converter box is DOA, or at minimum not hooked up properly.

Thanks for the suggestion, will do. BTW, my TV2 remote is 6.3 IR/UHF PRO, do I need to specifically set it to IR mode? Or the remote automatically transmits both IR and UHF at the same time?

BTW, my TV2 remote is 6.3 IR/UHF PRO, do I need to specifically set it to IR mode?
Yes. I hope you can just flip over the key, but I'm not sure about that. The 6.3 is the "universal" remote, which means it can do just about anything any Dish UHF remote can do. If you had purchased one separately, you get a little bag full of maybe 5 (?) keys, giving 10 possible configurations. Of course you don't get but the one for TV2 when it's included with your receiver. My 612 came with one UHF Pro 6.3 remote configured for UHF, and flipping the one key over sets it to IR-only. So I am hopeful that this will work.
Or the remote automatically transmits both IR and UHF at the same time?
I believe some modes do do that.

Thanks for the suggestion, will do. BTW, my TV2 remote is 6.3 IR/UHF PRO, do I need to specifically set it to IR mode? Or the remote automatically transmits both IR and UHF at the same time?
I asked the same thing in a few posts ago (post #130 in this thread) but no one answered. I did some more goggling and I found a post -- in another forum -- that says flipping the TV2 remote's blue key over the the black side makes it output IR commands (for TV2).

You do NOT need to set your TV2 remote to IR. You can use it as an UHF Pro remote. (see figure 13 in the manual for example of how to connect)

You do NOT need to set your TV2 remote to IR.
You don't "need" to set it up for IR. But lavu88 is having trouble with his TV2 IR Converter, and I though it would be helpful to diagnose the problem. Is it the Slingbox or TV2 converter? We don't know yet.

I emailed DN tech support & asked if the tv2 ir converter could be plugged in to a Xantech ir distribution system using the slingbox cable and so far have not received an answer. I did however get it to work by just using black electrical tape to position a xantech emitter over the ir reciever on the tv2 ir converter box, not as clean as using the cable but it does work.
I finally broke down and bought one of these. It came in today, and I was surprised by a couple things. The first is that the EXT-IR port is a 2.5mm jack (instead of the 3.5mm size that Xantech and other IR distribution systems use). I was also surprised that the cable supplied for use with that jack is a 3-conductor cable because an IR signal can be carried on just two wires. So the device, without some adapter, will definitely not work with Xantech device. I need to do some more research to figure out if it might work with some adapter -- likely something homemade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts