FIRST LOOK - ViP 922 Slingloaded DVR

I'm at work and tried to read thread and I know it's been mentioned but will 922 ever have web browser. That and 2nd tv output and I want one.
Yes to the web browser, and sort of for TV2. You will need an adapter on your 2nd tv to watch TV2... but the good news is that TV2 will be in full HD. :)

Bummer - I just called Dish and it will cost me $400 to upgrade to the 922. I am 8 mo's into my contract and pay $120/mo - but they wouldn't budge on lowering the price. Any suggestions to make this a more palatable (gulp) deal?

Bummer - I just called Dish and it will cost me $400 to upgrade to the 922. I am 8 mo's into my contract and pay $120/mo - but they wouldn't budge on lowering the price. Any suggestions to make this a more palatable (gulp) deal?

Wait longer on your contract. You have to be out of contract to get $200 dollar upgrade. My contract ended in march and I have been waiting for the 922. I am getting it tomorrow at 8-12 and paid $200 plus a $15 service call.

Edit: if u want it for $200 pay $17.50 a month till ur contract is up to get it for $200, so if you have let's say 4 months you pay $70 and can get it for $200. You would save $30 bucks that way.

I would guess that it is because they have not made enough from you yet to pay for the equipment they already have in your house.

If they didn't make money on this stuff they wouldn't be in business today. :)

Not trying to be rude, but it is probably the honest reason. (And its also the reason they have those 2 year commitments.)

I would hold off for now, as there are more 922's available they will probably open things more and you might get one for cheaper.

I just dished it up. Little surprised that they couldn't ship the 922 to me. Had to sign up for the service plan so I wouldn't be charged for the service call. Getting it tomorrow so I am alright with that.

I just checked just to see what the lease fee for me just for the heck of it, I was told it would be $400.00 Maybe because I am just wrapping up my first year in my contract? payment wise I pay on time all the time.

Edit: I see Scotts posible explanation a few posts ago on why this may be..

I would guess that there may be a possibility of a price drop by Christmas time. If not then I would think it would be until next year around Christmas.

Scott, I loved your review and agree with everything you said. I've had my 922 since last June. It was a rocky start but it runs great right now. I love the interface and the new search options. I have used the Sling feature on my laptop and on my iPhone. Both seemed to work pretty good.

I just checked just to see what the lease fee for me just for the heck of it, I was told it would be $400.00 Maybe because I am just wrapping up my first year in my contract? payment wise I pay on time all the time.

I would think you'd need to be with Dish for at least 2 or more years to be considered a plan A.

Great review. Thanks for the info. I think we will be waiting a bit though. Any word on when the small sling attachment for the 622/722 will be available? Fees/Pricing info? Dish's site still says "coming soon".

Also, the last thing that will make me stop missing my old TiVo box was the ability to watch programs on my computer (now my smart phone) that does not interrupt viewing something different on the TV. Basically, I want to watch some programs remotely, but hubby wants to watch his shows at the same time. It seems that the 922 will not do that will this small Sling box for the 622/722 do this?

Sorry been reading all over the place and I cannot get a clear simple answer to this.

922 can do it remotely while someone else watchs tv at home. Hubby watches on tv1 at home while u sling tv2 to ur "smartphone"

So just called. Initially was told because I dished it up not too long ago that the cost of the 922 would be full retail at $649. I calmly asked if there was anyway I could get the equipment for lease for the $200 bucks and that if he could arrange it I'd do it right away. He goes on hold for a few and comes back with good news. Appointment is tomorrow. :) Woot!

I might have missed it in your review, but does the Search on the 922 narrow down the results the more you type, as you type? Really looking forward to typing something like "W" and immediately seeing results that start with "W", and "WE" and seeing results like "Weeds" and "We were Soldiers", etc. My biggest pet peave with my 622 is having to type out quite a bit (or all) of a title and then select done before it even starts the search.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts