First time Sat. customer, confused, need equipment/install advice before ordering.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bjack56

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Sorry if some of this is stupid, but....here are my needs for a vacation place so only need 150 channel pkg.

Single Line feed already installed (on slab & vaulted), can't add another unexposed easily.
1-HD & 1-SD TV w/ exist. cable

1) Does D* have (1) receiver that will allow me to watch both TV's separately with different channels?

2) Will (1) feed line work with D*?

3) What do I need to ask for to get the best receiver possible as first time customer, but not be locked into HD and/or DVR. In other words, can I downgrade after "freebies" expire?

4) Can I stop service for a month or 2 (vacation home-Winter) then restart without penalty?

5) If you do the FREE receiver upgrade the service/line charges still need to be added right? How do they advertise $35/mo service w/ FREE HD-DVR upgrade ig it's costing at least $10/mo more for the HD & DVR???

Any other suggestions, tips, tricks, freebies :D appreciated, I'm doing the AAA, referral, trying for 1yr Showtime, etc...discounts.

1) Answer to question #1...NO. You need a reciever for each TV to do what you said. Only E* has the dual recievers. This is where E* is better, but at least if you do get an additional DVR through D* you can record 4 things at once, or 2 things at once and still watch live TV on each TV.

3) If I understand this correctly...When you get the free reciever, why would you want to downgrade? Just get the HD DVR reciever, then even if you ditch the HD, that reciever will still be functional for SD programming. Don't think there would be any real reason to want to downgrade. But if you really wanted to downgrade the free reciever, I'm sure they would take the HD DVR off you hands and give you something cheaper! Saves them money.

5) If you are looking at a package (such as a "HD+DVR" package), then that means both the $10 HD fee and the DVR fee are included in the package price, in other words free with that package.
You are right, the only package that doesn't really make sense is the "the choice xtra" package. They throw in a free HD DVR, but not the HD service. But its still a free DVR, and I guess it's nice if you think you want to get HD programming later on (but not now). But even with SD programming, the HD DVR will still work like a normal reciever/DVR.
The rest of the packages are pretty clear cut. They either offer a regular DVR (non-HD) by itself, or the rest of the packages that offer HD DVR do also have the $10 HD programming included in the package. Which makes more sense.

And if you go with "the choice package", you'll see it offers neither the DVR or HD service. And if you want to add those things, you pay like $15 more. However, if you want to have DVR & HD included, just get the same package that also includes those things (which of course is also $15 more). Either way, one way or another you are paying for HD and/or DVR if you want it. I'd say the packages that don't offer either would only make sense for those who are sure they won't want DVR or HD any time soon. Then the package with the HD DVR only might be nice for those who want DVR right now, but also may want HD at some point soon but not right now. That way if and when you want to add HD, you'll have the right reciever for it, but for the time being, it still works as a normal SD reciever and DVR.

AS FOR "EXTRA" PROMOTIONS....

I just ordered D* today and I can tell you that on top of the normal promotions (the $21 of package for 12 months and the 3 free months of HBO, SHO, & Starz), I was able to get another perk.

I'm switching from E*, so I stated the one thing I wasn't real happy about with possibly switching to D* was how I need a reciever for each room, and how the DVR's aren't dual room.
I said that with E*, I got DVR in a 2nd room for free and now DVR in a 2nd room with D* is gonna cost me $99 (or $199 in my case since I wanted an extra HD DVR). So I told them that I heard about a lot of people getting a $99 rebate on the 2nd reciever and asked if I could get that, cuz with it, it would likely ensure that I switch to D*. If not, I said I would still be unsure.

She checked, said I wasn't good for any discount on recievers. HOWEVER, she said that she could offer me the 12 free months of showtime! I said hell yeah! That's 4 HD premium movie channels!

So, at the current time, and from what I've read, it seems that the thing you can suck out of them is indeed the 12 months free showtime.
Hope for a nice rep like I got, and give them a reason to give you that deal, and you'll probably get it. Might have to beg a little (or not), but that 12 free months of SHO is at least a $120 value.
Not sure if you want to ask them directly about it, but maybe just keep hinting around that they should do a little extra for you for choosing them.

That's a pretty nice perk, and I can tell you I got not such extra perks at all when I went with E* 16 months ago. Couldn't suck an extra dime out of them! I think D* is getting a lot of new customers lately and they don't want to ruin a good thing, so something like the free showtime is a great way to make sure that by the time you get off the phone with them, they locked you in, both sides are happy.

Last edited:
The additional 12months of free showtime is a "closing deal". Not all retailers/dealers have access to it, it just depends who you call.

Thanks robx64 for the detailed response.

The "downgrade" I was referring to is in programing not equipment.

Confusing me is the current "Choice" pkg. which says free HD or DVR upgrade. So, the give you an equipment upgrade but no HD or DVR service....right?

Even after the $10/24mo/AAA & $10/5mo/referral discounts it looks like E* is going to be cheaper (6 mo free HD & 1yr Cinemax). Need to see which one (if any) will let me stop & start service for those unused winter months.

Directv will let you suspend your service. They will charge you something like $5 a month while it's suspended. I don't know if dish will do the same. Keep in mind, if you suspend your account for three months it will add three months to your contract, if you suspend it for two months, it will add two months to your contract, and so on.

If you upgrade to the free HD or DVR, you have to have HD or DVR service added to your account. If you cancel either service and only require a SD box, in most(if not all) cases they will make you send back the advanced product and send you the basic receiver.

That's what I was wondering. Having to send back the "upgraded" equipment if I don't keep the programing, changes my options....bummer. Was hoping to have the better receiver as a new customer & not have equipment changes if I want to increase programing in the future.

Good to know I can suspend D*. The time suspended extending the contract & $5/mo maintenance fee is fair.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)