Flash Forward

And I consider them the two best shows that the network has ever presented. And they're both successful; imagine that.

I've never upheld that the masses should be a trusted barometer for just about anything.

I've never upheld that the masses should be a trusted barometer for just about anything.
Essentially, you're saying that your personal preferences should trump that of other people's. It's an indefensible position.

The "right" answer is that reasonable people disagree, and we all respect perspectives of people we disagree with, and accept that if our perspective is held by a small minority, that it is appropriate for our perspective to be served a lot less than a perspective held by a larger group.

That's only, of course, if we want to be reasonable about it.

Keep the Soap and Sci-Fi to a minimum and ABC will have a winner worth watching. ;)
Well, what else is there for this show?

To make this work, Braga and Goyer should resort to the kinds of plot devices that kept shows like The X Files and yes, BSG going: action stories similar to the trip to the small town and meeting the sheriff in the second episode; and post-blackout life that involves characters other than the main cast.

I still think this show needs the society-changing elements that reinforce the main premise: something cataclysmic affected every single person on Earth. This really is similar to what might happen if some ET were to land tomorrow. It's world-changing and should be played up.

P.S. Doesn't it strike anyone that life seems to have returned too much to normal? After all, after 9/11, there were Army troops in New York for weeks on end, and that was an attack on only one city. Doesn't it stand to reason that the federal government might be on even greater heightened alert after something of this nature?

P.S. Doesn't it strike anyone that life seems to have returned too much to normal? After all, after 9/11, there were Army troops in New York for weeks on end, and that was an attack on only one city. Doesn't it stand to reason that the federal government might be on even greater heightened alert after something of this nature?
Didn't you see the federal troops stationed outside the hospital, checking the ID of the doctor before she got within 200 feet of the entrance?

My problem is not with the fact that this sub-plot exists, but the amount of time devoted to a tangential device to make you care more for characters than you otherwise might. I also have a big problem with the lack of imagination with the personal life. Great. So we have an alcoholic super-cop whose personal life is falling apart with a wife who is going to leave him. Gee, never seen THAT before. YAWN!

IMHO, I believe they will most likely tone down the subplot before long. I think the reason they are devoting so much time to it right now is because they want to show how people's blackouts are connected. For instance, the daughter saw the hospitalized boy in her flash forward, whose father happens to be the affair from her mother's. I think it is a way to further confirm what was seen by each person as being accurate depictions of the future, and once that is done I see them focusing more of the main plot of finding out who and what caused it.

What I find weird is the future they saw was based on the blackout happening...but I guess it wouldn't be a good story if it was the future without the blackout happening.

Yeah, well I would say they saw their future as of the time the blackout happened. Once the blackout occured it changed everyone's future. Same can be said that once they saw the future, seeing it changed it again. If they were to have another flash forward now, everyone would likely see different scenarios because everyone who saw something they didn't like the first time is going to be fighting tooth and nail to prevent it from happening, thus changing their course. No one could really ever completely know the future even if something like this happened, because as soon as it was seen, it would change just from knowing it.

My personal theory is that it was a save the world event. The future will be different now and we will find out that if the FF did not happen, something really bad would have happened.

And I consider them the two best shows that the network has ever presented. And they're both successful; imagine that.

Wow. That explains a lot of this thread.

Hey, I like Eureka, and I like Warehouse 13. both are fun. But neither are serious; neither are anywhere near the quality of things like BSG or SG1 or SG:A. In any way shape or form. And years from now, when people are still watching the stargates and BSG on blu-ray, no one will remember Eureka or W13.

They are bubble-gum sci-fi; and there is a place for it. But they are not sci-soap either. Jericho got ruined by all the soap opera crap. To which I say "nuts." As it was a good show, and had great potential.

Wow. That explains a lot of this thread. Hey, I like Eureka, and I like Warehouse 13. both are fun. But neither are serious; neither are anywhere near the quality of things like BSG or SG1 or SG:A.
To be clear: I consider BSG better than Eureka or Warehouse 13; SG1 almost as good as Eureka or Warehouse 13; and SGA, essentially no better than "mediocre".

In any way shape or form. And years from now, when people are still watching the stargates and BSG on blu-ray, no one will remember Eureka or W13.
I don't know about Warehouse 13, but I doubt people will be watching SGA longer than Eureka. I could see Eureka being considered a classic, eventually. It's essentially The Andy Griffith Show updated to today's sensibilities and mapped into a fantastical context.

And you don't have to agree. We can disagree about this. I still will think I'm right and you're wrong about it. And the world will go on its merry way, despite that. :)

Speechless...
Best not to argue with a brick wall.
What an incredibly arrogant and self-centered pair of messages. Get over yourselves, people. You aren't the be-all and end-all of what is good or bad entertainment. Each person gets to make that determination for themselves. I probably would think your personal criteria for what is good or bad entertainment is way off, vis a vis what I believe is good and bad, but I am not going to get all melodramatic and euphemistic about it as you both have. I'm surely not going to express scurrilous allusions about you because you don't see things the same way as I do.

The only "wrong" attitude in this regard is the one that asserts that your own personal preferences are the only possible rational personal preferences there could be. :tux:

Not arrogant, I've just had to endure too many emails over the last few days with you arguing with everyone. How about lets drop it and move on.

I was talking about this thread at dinner, with my son, who watches most science fiction with me. We joked about how Eureka and W13 are "bubble-gum" sci-fi. He laughed and blurted out, "yeah, after five minutes, it is tasteless." Not bad wisdom from a 12 year old. :)

bicker, its pretty obvious you just want to do what your username suggests. Fine. Make all the crazy talk you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)