Flat Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

miller5

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Guys
Can someone give direction on how to install flat cable through a sliding glass door frame? It states that the cable can be used through this type of door, but I dont know how you could do this. Ideas?

From what I understand, they are meant to actually just be squeezed (and formed to the inside of the frame in whatever grooves there are, or better yet, use a rototool or hacksaw and cut a notch the size of the flat part of the cable so the door closes flat on the cable) in between where the frame and the door meet when closed, but this doesn't seem like a good idea, things like wear and tear from opening and closing the door, and not being able to close the door completely, etc would come into play.

I suppose one could remove [*] and run it under the threshold/track below (or even one of the sides) the sliding glass door, then _carefully_ replacing the track and threshold over the flat part of the cable afterwards, this would probably be best under a part of the threshold where noone is likely to step, so as not to have the threshhold cut into the flat cable below from someone standing/walking on the track/threshold during normal use.

[*]: Depending on the design, you may have to lift up and pull out one or both of the sliding glass doors to get to the screws for the threshold and to pull up the bottom track, so doing it under the threshold, instead of from one of the sides will be more work (and danger).

Last edited:
I think I would just drill a small hole thru the wall instead of all that work of removing a threshold

As Damaged said the flat cable is designed to go into the patio door or typical window and have it closed on top off. If are going to remove any framing, DON'T, and get a correct install as Stick mentions. Also, if you do get the flat jumper (I do use them) get the SEALED version like this, not the crimped.

http://www.starlink-dss.com/index.htm

OR-
run it between the fixed and moving door panels. Tape (blue tape?) the flat cable between the panels at the middle where you probably have a felt seal or such. Then round coax to the edge, where the moving panel will not hit it.

I bought 5 for 10 bucks on ebay...

installed it pretty much like navychop said and I can open my screen and glass door all the way and close the screen all the way...the glass slider closes almost all the way, like 1/8 from closing or less...it really should last forever coz nothing touches it...unless my girlfriend closes the slider :)

PM me and I can send you a picture of my flat wire installed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts