FMC Movie channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
Apparently we have another new channel, only in SD called FMC (#387). A Classic Movie channel with ads and only in SD. Interesting movies, but I have no idea how many ads per hour. Generally I quit watching movies on commercial channels, has by the time you get back to the movie, you forgot where they were, but in this day, thank goodness for the DVR. So if there is an interesting old movie I have not seen, it is an option.

Reactions: joegr and LQQK
Apparently we have another new channel, only in SD called FMC (#387). A Classic Movie channel with ads and only in SD. Interesting movies, but I have no idea how many ads per hour. Generally I quit watching movies on commercial channels, has by the time you get back to the movie, you forgot where they were, but in this day, thank goodness for the DVR. So if there is an interesting old movie I have not seen, it is an option.

This may help explain…

Looking at the programming in the EPG, FMC may air a lot of content that are now Public Domain. Zliving had a fair amount of PD programming, as well, and almost all those "low budget" "family" channels are using PD content almost exclusively. The sad part is that the film prints aired as PD are often in really bad condition and look and sound AWFUL to watch and listen.

Looking at the programming in the EPG, FMC may air a lot of content that are now Public Domain. Zliving had a fair amount of PD programming, as well, and almost all those "low budget" "family" channels are using PD content almost exclusively. The sad part is that the film prints aired as PD are often in really bad condition and look and sound AWFUL to watch and listen.
This is very true. One plus to these films being shown this way, however, is that in many cases the version of the films shown on these channels is the only version currently available to view.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The newest movies are in the 50s. No HD then unless their up converted.
No video tape then either, so all capable of becoming HD or UHD. I'm curious the collection they have available relative to TCM (all remastered to HD, even movies that are only adequate).

Public Domain., okay

Hmm... so Charade should be every third movie they show then. ;)

Looks like It's A Wonderful Life and His Girl Friday (though that movie is umm... dated, I much prefer The Front Page even though Russell and Grant are very good in it) are also public domain.

I've always been amused by the fact that because Maurice Binder forgot to put © in front of MCMLXIII BY UNIVERSAL PICTURES COMPANY, INC. and STANLEY DONEN FILMS, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED that it's in the public domain. But then again if one thinks that way Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer should be in the public domain too because it's copyright date expired over 850 years ago in 1164 CE. ;)

Charade-1963-Copyright-Notice.jpg

thb-rudolph.jpg

That is why Charade is Public Domain!?!? :oops:

Wow! I only knew it was Public Domain because it allowed Rifftrax to do a VOD riff on it. Not many (any?) other movies with Cary Grant or Audrey Hepburn allow that. BTW, it is a great riff of a great movie.

Public Domain., okay

Looks like It's A Wonderful Life and His Girl Friday (though that movie is umm... dated, I much prefer The Front Page even though Russell and Grant are very good in it) are also public domain.
Oh, but as time passes all sorts of NEW PD becomes availabe to make Chareade not needed as even filler. :).

While I am no expert on entertainment copyrights, is it not true that if an entity makes a new scan (say HD or 4K and even digital fixes to the print of the original PD print) of PD conent, that entity has copyright to that new scan--not the orginal content itself, but to their scan of it? Interesting. Probably similar to the great composers like Bach, etc whose music is PD, but any recordings/performances of the PD music becomes the copyright of whoever produced/performed, etc. that PD music.

This is very true. One plus to these films being shown this way, however, is that in many cases the version of the films shown on these channels is the only version currently available to view.
And few want to go the expense of making a great digital scan/copy, certainly not these channels that have super low budget.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts