For those subscribed in the last week or soon

rang1995 said:
Was ESPN The factor?? or something else?

Not for me..I had just got my first HDTV and didnt want to spend an extra 300 bucks to upgrade to a HD receiver as I was currently a Dish customer.

I decided to try Voom simply because they did offer a lot of HD channels and i didnt have to pay anything upfront..adding the ESPN and HD one is noce though.

I do miss PPV and would especially like to see on in HD and also they don't currently have all the channels i enjoyed on Dish such as the Sci Fi and Tech TV..course I realize they will probably add those some time down the road.

I did just find a Dish 811 HD receiver for sale for a 100 dollars which I have bought and will switch back to Dish though because I really don't like Vooms menu system, and a few other quirks about it, but I am sure they will get better on down the road, and may still consider them in the future again.

Big factor was no cash outlay up front. Other factor was lack of HD channels on Direct TV. Granted that a lot of TV is mediocre I guess I would rather watch mediocre HDTV than SD. Especially like Bravo, Rush & movies.

Stalker said:
I did just find a Dish 811 HD receiver for sale for a 100 dollars which I have bought and will switch back to Dish though because I really don't like Vooms menu system, and a few other quirks about it, but I am sure they will get better on down the road, and may still consider them in the future again.

Menu and a few quirks about it? People really switch to E* or D* because they don't like the menu system? I guess there are also people who switch because they don't like the feel of the remote or the logo. :confused:

I just had voom installed on april 27th and i love it! I definetely had to give voom a shot due to the extreme amount of hd channels and just couldn't stand watching adelphia's crappy analog picture "which is suposedly digital" but if it were digital why did i get pixalation on like 80% of there channels? "LOL" Move outaa the way Dish Network, And Direct because a new satellite provider is about to take all your customers "VOOM!" HEHEHE

ESPN was the lock for me. Without ESPN we may as well trash television and listen to AM radio :)

I am excited about having (39?) a lot more HD options, however, I have not heard good things. I have heard it is all repeats, all the time.

Off the topic of this thread, the free install and lease option were big for me also. I could get an HR10-250 ... but $1,000 was more than I could stomach so I am hoping with Voom it will be bye-bye DTV!

If I like the offering, I'll move from Voom to VAVAVoom ... seems logical

The ESPN package was a big deal to me too. PPV wasn't a big deal, as we use Netflix and watch our movies that way. The no up front costs, along with the "no commitment" was big as well. I'm on DirecTV and didn't want to pay for a new receiver for HD, to only get 3 extra channels (minus any movie HD channels).

Quick of thread question, I'm getting installed on May 27th...any suggestions? I've read the install thread, but thought I'd ask for any specifics. What's the best OTA antenna? Feel free to email any thoughts vs. post if you'd like.

No equipment cost and no committment. I was a D* customer and was unhappy with their best offer for upgrading to HD so I cancelled my service.

I would really like to see regional sports feeds so I choose between NFL HD games.

dozens said:
No equipment cost and no committment. I was a D* customer and was unhappy with their best offer for upgrading to HD so I cancelled my service.

I would really like to see regional sports feeds so I choose between NFL HD games.

That's the bandwagon I am on, I hope to stop DTV by 6/27, I think my brother might "buy my sub" so I don't have to terminate.

As far as the NFL, all the DTV feeds are CBS & FSN, with their SundayTicket deal I doubt that will happen on Voom..

Rental equipment! i.e. no upfront cost. Need to save the capital investment for the HDTIVO! :)

But VOOM installer now says there is no equipment, backordered indefinitly. The called to cancel my install and would not reschedule at this time. They said I can call VOOM with any questions.

ESPN didn't have anything to do with me. IMO the only thing worth watching on ESPN was "Playmakers" but since those SNIVELING COWARDS at ESPN buckled to the IGNORANT THUGS of the NFL and yanked the show, I got no use for them. And no, I don't have issues, but thanks for asking.

Okay, I feel better now. But the VOOM offer of $0 upfront and no commitment did it for me. I have DirecTV and I'm reasonably satisfied with it, but HDTV is like a drug, the more you have the more you want. But if I don't like VOOM I want to bail with no financial loss, and this lets me do it.

VOOM already has a couple of minor strikes against it in the form of no BBC America, no SciFi, no VH1 Classic. But those channels could be added in the future (maybe) and for now I'll settle for lots more HD. Content & quality are still open to evaluation. If VOOM starts adding dreck like DirecTV's "World Harvest Television" (WTF is that about??) I'll bail in a heartbeat.

My installation is Monday May 24. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Absolutely ESPN

I loved the VOOM concept when I first heard it and started the signup process. When I realized no ESPN, I cancelled. Now I am back in the queue for install tomorrow.

Of course the no term contract was also important when trying something new.

No....

For me, the factor that made me go with Voom is that I have a GrandWega 50" that seems to be waisted on dishtv.
I couldnt and wouldnt go for just 5 channels that dish offered. A year has gone by while I waited for Dish to expand but they havent, so here I am waiting for a june 4th installation!

I have had my HD tv for over 1 year.

Never purchased programming before.

What prompted me is the no install fee, no contract.

A DVR is very important to me. When Voom comes out with one I will be knowledgeable about subscribed programming. What ever seems to be a bettor deal at the time will be my deal. Voom or Dish with DVR?

If Voom just adds the DVR without an increase (as it should be with an expensive lease program) I will probably remain a voomer.

well, we have had D* for 9 months now, and the pathetic 3 or 4 hd channels what what made us decide to VOOM..
I am a little nervous, reading all the rants here about the picture quality, the sound quality, the drop outs with DVI and such..Never had these issues with D*, just hated the fact there are only 4 hd channels...
I was able to get most OTA with a self install Winegard SS, but could never get CBS in Chicago; any chance this will change with the VOOM service?

thanks!

wase4711

andrzej said:
Menu and a few quirks about it? People really switch to E* or D* because they don't like the menu system? I guess there are also people who switch because they don't like the feel of the remote or the logo. :confused:

I don't get it, Dish menu system is plain stupid, slow, and generally a pain, I prefer DirectTV or Voom ANY OL' DAY... as far as channel lineup on SD, we all know they all add more it's just a matter of time. I feel more confident that in a year's time Voom will have 40 or 50 HD channels if they are available before Dish or DirectTV get up to 30.

Also people here have issues with the PQ, but its not that the PQ is horrendous I'd say it's an 8-8.5 (at times a 9) out of 10, depending on the content, I think most here agree that it COULD and SHOULD be a 10 out of 10 like HDNet (which is the only channel I'd give a 10 out of 10 to) that Dish/DirectTV sport, or OTA show. Voomers just want all the channels to be perfection, as I think we all want Voom to look #1 as well as eventually BE #1.

Got VOOM 5 days ago. Why? ... Lots of HD channels/programming & no equipment to buy. Switched from DirecTV after a year & a half w/them. Here's my story.

Did have a few install issues, but everything is satisfactory now in terms of setup. VOOM box isn't quite as good as LG/Sony/Hughes DirecTV boxes, but I don't have to buy it w/VOOM.

I'm on my second month on Voom. Came over because of the quantity of HD content. I think people in this forum are a little bit spoiled when they complain about the repetitiveness of the Voom stations. There are two important things to take note of:

1. Voom is not only providing the signal service that other companies like D*, E* and Comcast provide, but is also attempting to be its own programming network. HBO, Showtime, etc. also repeat their programming each month.

2. More important, if you count up the number of non-Voom HD stations you're getting, it's a long list by comparison (at least it is to my former provider - Comcast). I previously paid about $20 *more* per month with Comcast for just ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and ESPN. I was also getting PBS, and INHD, and CSNHD but those stations almost never showed programming that I cared about. With Voom I'm also getting Discovery, TNT, and WB at a lower cost.

What's more, in the year that I had Comcast HD, they not only failed to add HD stations, but actually removed some of my HD content and then attempted to charge me another $5 for the sports package! While in the short time I've had Voom, they've added two HD stations - Equator and TNT.

Last point - PQ is important up to a certain threshold. I think quality and quantity need to be discussed in terms of priority. For me, they go like this:

1. All HD content would be scored a 7 out of 10 or better.
2. More HD is better. I'd rather have 10 more stations that are a 7 out of 10 than improve one of my existing stations to 10 out of 10
3. The last 20% of PQ matters after the content I want is all there

Not that I don't care about quality, but as long as I'm not getting huge pixellation, or stutters or other bugs, I'll live with just really beautiful HD instead of "Woops, forgot to eat because I was mesmerized by the picture" picture quality for now.

I wonder if this sort of a prioritization discussion wouldn't be worth doing a poll to hopefully express our collective interests to Voom?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)