Force HR-24 into 1080p mode?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I got a 4KTV and purchased a SEIKI U-Vision cable, and with a 1080p signal the cable upconverts the video from 1080p to 2160p (4K) and it works very well upconverting 1080p content. (Very... very well!)

So now I am trying to figure out if there is a way to force a HR-24 into 1080p mode so that was it upconverts all video from the HR-24 to 2160p.

If I go into the settings and uncheck 1080p the reselect it it goes into 1080p mode and it looks GREAT upconverted! However a few seconds later (or if I hit the info button) it goes back to the lower resolution.

Does anyone know if there is a way to trick it into staying in 1080p mode all the time?

Scott un check everything except 1080P should do it. If you have an AVR that also acts as a HDMI switcher like how my Denon does you can also set that to upscale everything to 1080P or even 4k on the newer ones. Also dont forget to take it out of Native mode if you have it in that mode.

Tried that, it just drops back to 1080i. My home theater system only outputs at native resolution.

As posted, the DVR can't force everything to 1080p. The only 1080p it will output is programming that is already 1080p/20.

1080i and 1080p have exactly the same resolution.....

Try it on channel 125 - that channel broadcasts 1080p. Sadly, that will be the only channel that will work (and PPV).

Try it on channel 125 - that channel broadcasts 1080p. Sadly, that will be the only channel that will work (and PPV).
Except not ALL PPV's ... :redface.

ejb, are you saying everything on 125 is 1080p ?

I didn't know that ... then again, you'd think they would say something to that effect on the channel itself, didn't even find any mention in the Info section.

Only way to know is the fact that the 1080p light lights up.

Tried that, it just drops back to 1080i. My home theater system only outputs at native resolution.
If you have/still have a Logitech Revue box,you can up convert to 1080p using that. It would probably be best to only have 1080i checked under resolution settings on your HR24(because 1080i looks a lot better up converting to 1080p than 720p does),then connect the HR24 to the Logitech revue,set that to output in 1080p,then connect directly to your TV via HDMI cable. Use a digital coaxial or digital optical cable to connect the sound to your audio video receiver.

Unfortunately it will default to 1080i or 720p on all contact except the few PPV and VOD movies that are 1080p, which they use a different logo for in the guide.

No way to play regular network programming at 1080p or to select the 1080p output for regular viewing, it will default to 1080i unless watching the special 1080p content.

Except not ALL PPV's ... :redface.

ejb, are you saying everything on 125 is 1080p ?

I didn't know that ... then again, you'd think they would say something to that effect on the channel itself, didn't even find any mention in the Info section.

Only way to know is the fact that the 1080p light lights up.

It does light up and my TV shows that resolution on its banner, too. It doesn't have the 1080p logo... But how often is that indicator wrong?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It does light up and my TV shows that resolution on its banner, too. It doesn't have the 1080p logo... But how often is that indicator wrong?

Your more than likely correct, my TV also shows 1080p for that channel, I just never notices it before.

Then again, I thought ESPN was 720p, my TV said 1080i, I may have to look and see what settings I have turned on.

Your more than likely correct, my TV also shows 1080p for that channel, I just never notices it before.

Then again, I thought ESPN was 720p, my TV said 1080i, I may have to look and see what settings I have turned on.

ESPN is 720p. All Disney and Fox related channels are 720p.

It shouldn't be wrong. The boxes can't upconvert to 1080p... that's all there is to it.

It's wrong regularly. I have a local that is SD, but the guide shows the HD icon. It's SD OTA, too. There are entire HD channels that don't show the HD icon, and many HD games on the RSN channels don't have the icon. 125 is 1080p but doesn't show it. Is it wrong a lot? No... but there are plenty of frequent examples of inaccurate or missing HD icons.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts