Former Dish Net / New Customers Read This

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
My ETF to cancel Dish was $60. No biggie, but I asked (on the phone with Direct) if they could help with that. After getting my install date/time set up, and DVR paid for, I was sent to retentions. They offered $5/mo off for 24 months! YMMV

I am a DishNetwork customer but getting the urge to switch to Direct Tv, Should I ??

Welcome to SatelitteGuys! You came to the right place to find the answer to your question. But, it all depends on what is giving you the urge? Is it the lack of your team's RSN, full time RSN's, Sunday Ticket or that you can't wait for Dish to offer a whole-home DVR solution, then it's a no brainer, make the switch. Somethings I do miss with Dish, I for one like the 922's GUI better than the new HD GUI fron DirecTV and I also preferred Dish's utilization of external harddrives. I miss some of Dish's HD channels that DirecTV doesn't carry, I thought that finding PPV or Dish on Demand movies was better on Dish, but DirecTV's on-demand offerings are far more extensive than it was with Dish. It really depends on what is giving you the urge. For me it was easy, Dish didn't renew my RSN and dropped SNY and I no longer could watch my Mets. Which is likely my most watch channel for six months of the year. Tell us more, and we can give you our insight.

Im having some technical problems with Dish, tech after tech has been to my house and Im still having problems with picture/dish signal..
I have another tech coming on Thursday so if im not satisified after he leaves that will put the icing on the cake for me !!!

I am a DishNetwork customer but getting the urge to switch to Direct Tv, Should I ??
Having experienced both, NO. I was a DishNetwork customer for nearly 14 years. I switched to Directv in November and now have regrets.

Basically, you will switch from one set of problems to another -- a whole new set of bugs and frustrations. And now I'm locked into a 24 month contract with 'gotchas'. Like they sign you up for NFL Sunday Ticket and automatically renew it unless you cancel at a certain time. And if I move to another house, the contract term will reset.

I left Dish because they falsely claimed ownership of a receiver I purchased from 'DishStore.net', and made me provide a receipt to prove it.

Bottom line, both companies have a reputation of treating some customers poorly. Just find the one that sucks the least.

Having experienced both, NO. I was a DishNetwork customer for nearly 14 years. I switched to Directv in November and now have regrets.

Basically, you will switch from one set of problems to another -- a whole new set of bugs and frustrations. And now I'm locked into a 24 month contract with 'gotchas'. Like they sign you up for NFL Sunday Ticket and automatically renew it unless you cancel at a certain time. And if I move to another house, the contract term will reset.

I left Dish because they falsely claimed ownership of a receiver I purchased from 'DishStore.net', and made me provide a receipt to prove it.

Bottom line, both companies have a reputation of treating some customers poorly. Just find the one that sucks the least.

I'm not sure why having to cancel ST is such a big deal, you've got a long time frame to cancel it before the next season starts and what's the difference between that and having to cancel any of the free premium promos you get when you sign up? (Of course you do hafta remember to cancel any of the freebies you get when the free trial is up, whether it's satellite, cable, or any other pay provider).

I'm not sure why having to cancel ST is such a big deal, you've got a long time frame to cancel it before the next season starts and what's the difference between that and having to cancel any of the free premium promos you get when you sign up? (Of course you do hafta remember to cancel any of the freebies you get when the free trial is up, whether it's satellite, cable, or any other pay provider).
Agreed. I switched about 4-5 months ago, and recently called to cancel my 3-month trial of all the premium movie channels. At the same time, the CSR also asked how I liked the NFL ST that was thrown in for free. I said it was nice, but I'd never pay that much for it. So she then disabled my auto-renew of it at the same time. Couldn't have been easier.

Hi all new to t his forum. I was a directv customer for almost 2 years and got the itch to switch to cable and have everything on one bill. While there were some quirks with Directv I am finding myself really missing the DVR and wanting to switch back as I am still in my 30 day grace period. The whole house DVR that is with cable is really lacking and while I thought I would like their functionality I do not like not being able to set up recordings on any of the tvs connected or delete them. If I were to call Directv would they give me a good deal coming back, or just offer me what I had for the same price. I received a call from the presidents office a few days after I switched and the person on the phone offered a good deal for what I had but when I said I had a 2 yr price guarantee from the cable company the conversation was done. I would really like to get in on the deal of the new HR34 DVR and I see they are doing a 2 yr price guarantee now online. Anyone think I might have a chance of getting any of this kinds of a deal. I am sure the best answer is just to call but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks everyone for any response.

What's the problem with D* honoring referral credits? Installed last monday, had signed up for paperless billing and as soon as activation done my credit card was charged - for $10 more than it should have been because they left off the referral credit. I wasn't sure what the problem was because my bill was not available online. I sent an e-mail asking why I couldn't see the bill yet so I could see why the charge was higher than anticipated. I finally was able to see the bill the next day and that's when I saw the credit had not been applied. I had enrolled online, on the correct page and when the enrollment was completed received an acknowledging e-mail reflecting the referral credit. I sent an e-mail from the D* site asking them to check the records and please correct the billing. The reply was that my account did not show a referral. I then pointed out the e-mail and the fact that I had screenshots of the ordering process showing the entry of the referral number (which is valid - from a friend) and the final page again showing the credit. I sent them copies of all almost a week ago and have not had a response. To begin with, charging the card before even presenting a bill is a questionable accounting procedure, and the it takes time excuse doesn't cut it since they shouldn't make a charge without having a bill calculated. They don't seem to have a problem swamping your inbox with ads and reminders of how great their service is, also with unwanted automated phone calls of the same sort. I'd much prefer they put some of those resources into their accounting department which at this point I can only consider dishonest or incredibly incompetent.

referral credits can take 1-2 bill cycles to show up but they do show up.

That wouldn't be a problem if that's what was stated, which it was not. Their statement at sign-up, reiterated in an e-mail specified what the 1st billing would be and it reflected the referral credit. Also, now they say there is no record of a referral credit relating to my account.

Hey guys...First of all, I know this question has probably been asked and debated a billion times but have mercy, please...
I was a frustrated New York sports fan who had enough of Dish Network (they have NO New York RSNs). I have a DTV installation set for March 6. I live in York PA...and am planning to "move" (change service address) to somewhere in the NYC area. Is it as easy to do with DTV as it is with Dish?

Also, NY locals and RSNs are on CONUS beams, correct? Are there any equipment issues I should be aware of?
Thanks very much.
Peace,

Hey guys...First of all, I know this question has probably been asked and debated a billion times but have mercy, please...
I was a frustrated New York sports fan who had enough of Dish Network (they have NO New York RSNs). I have a DTV installation set for March 6. I live in York PA...and am planning to "move" (change service address) to somewhere in the NYC area. Is it as easy to do with DTV as it is with Dish?
yep. IN 2 years lets see I've moved from the house in Minneapolis market to Mankato (they have different locals) about a month after install...then to Duluth, MN (use to live there) for 7 months then back home because I upgraded to HD then 2 weeks later back to Mankato. So yeah its pretty easy :)

Also, NY locals and RSNs are on CONUS beams, correct? Are there any equipment issues I should be aware of?
Thanks very much.
Peace,
All RSN's are CONUS...NY Big 4 are CONUS...the rest are spotbeamed (including WPIX & WWOR)

Thanks so much, Iceberg! Bummer about PIX and WWOR (Gotta watch the Mets). Which map in the satmaps section can I look at to see if I'd get those? York PA is about 200 miles from NYC...so I guess there's a chance...

Well I am another long time Dish customer that is switching to Direct TV. I have had tech problems with the receiver in one of my rooms http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-technical-discussions/277068-622-problems.html and have finally given up on Dish. I have an install scheduled for this Wed for the HMC HD DVR and 3 HD Receiver package special they are running but I am going hate going through the learning process for the new system.

Earl

That wouldn't be a problem if that's what was stated, which it was not. Their statement at sign-up, reiterated in an e-mail specified what the 1st billing would be and it reflected the referral credit. Also, now they say there is no record of a referral credit relating to my account.

Just to update, they finally acknowledged the referral credit and applied it to the referree's and my accounts, effective with the 1st billing. Just glad I had concrete proof to substantiate it. I have to wonder what's wrong with their systems when the online sign up went fine, they acknowledged the same by e-mail and then when billing had no record of it. But, I wanted to acknowledge that they did finally get it right.

Well I am another long time Dish customer that is switching to Direct TV. I have had tech problems with the receiver in one of my rooms http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-technical-discussions/277068-622-problems.html and have finally given up on Dish. I have an install scheduled for this Wed for the HMC HD DVR and 3 HD Receiver package special they are running but I am going hate going through the learning process for the new system.

Earl

I've only had it for a couple of weeks and no big learning curve. It is different than Dish but actually very good. The PIP is a little more work (not directly on the remote). I was really tickled to find a feature I had been waiting for for years - the audio volume controlled by a device other than a TV which is perfect if you are connected through an AVR. Only thing you may miss is only 2 custom favorites lists and a little more work to switch them.

I was really tickled to find a feature I had been waiting for for years - the audio volume controlled by a device other than a TV which is perfect if you are connected through an AVR.

FYI, this is available on Dish.. you set up an AUX unit and then when programming the TV setup, tell it to use AUX for volume. I have this working for my RCVR and for my soundbar.

Not trying to plug Dish.. just providing the info. I'm very likely about to make the switch myself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)