Fortec 80cm azimuth setting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tomeczek

Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I just bought Fortec Star FC-80cm dish.
Before I go on the roof and install it, I looked on all the parts and the installation instructions.
I used “d!shpointer.com” to get all setup data for my location.

I have couple of questions:
  1. How do you set the azimuth: to “true” or to “magnetic”? The logic suggests “magnetic”, since I use compass. Am I right?
  2. How important is the accurate azimuth setting? Having just a small compass and mounting the antenna on the slanted roof it is almost impossible to aim the antenna and fastening the bottom mount pointing precisely on, for example, 213.6 degrees.
Setting the azimuth seems to be the hardest part, since there is no adjustment on the mount.
Setting elevation and LNB skew seems to be easy.

I’ll appreciate any suggestions from all of you that had and solved this problem.

no such thing as "set and forget"

How do you set the azimuth: to “true” or to “magnetic”? The logic suggests “magnetic”, since I use compass. Am I right?

Yes, that's exactly correct
How important is the accurate azimuth setting? Having just a small compass and mounting the antenna on the slanted roof it is almost impossible to aim the antenna and fastening the bottom mount pointing precisely on, for example, 213.6 degrees.

I use a tiny compass laying on a foot-long ruler.
You get it close as you can, then that's where the fun begins.
You actually set the receiver to the transponder on the bird you are hunting, and then move the dish back and forth a little, looking for the signal.
If you don't find it after plus or minus about 5°, then bump up/down the elevation a little bit, and try again.
Setting the azimuth seems to be the hardest part, since there is no adjustment on the mount.
Setting elevation and LNB skew seems to be easy.
Azimuth isn't difficult. As described above.

Skew is pretty straightforward, as long as you turn the LNB the correct direction.
Still worth a fine-tune once you've found your bird.

Elevation is compounded by the inaccuracy of the markings on some dishes.
Plus or minus five degrees (or worse) have been reported.

Thank you Anole!

I will work on it over the weekend and post results.
Keeping fingers crossed!

Success!
I just installed the 33" (80cm.) Fortec dish and pointed on Galaxy25/IntelSat5 to get GlobeCast programming.

I followed Anole's tips. Found the satellite within 15 minutes!
I ran one drop directly to the receiver (VS9000HD), ran autoscan and found 99 channels.
I'm so proud of myself! (I'm non technical retired guy.)
But...
When I browse through these channels, I'm getting picture only on some of them. The channels I'm interested in show good signal strength and quality, but the screen is black and the "No video or audio" line shows in the low left corner.
Could someone, please, explain? What can I do to get the channels I'm missing?

Congrats !

I find the Globecast site a little non-intuitive to navigate, but it's got your info.
Some of the Globecast channels are scrambled for their pay customers, only.
Many other channels on that satellite are in the clear.

You can also consult FTA-only lists to see which are which.
- FTA list
- The List
- Global CM
- Lyngsat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)