Fortec Star 80 CM Modification

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
Last couple weeks I have been working on the 80 CM to add two more LNB’s to the setup. I wanted to add a lightweight small Universal linear LNB just for Hispasat 1C/1D 30 West and another for testing & improving my subscription porpoises on a smaller dish. I got a small bracket at Lowes and went to town! First, I had to make mods to the old girl since she already has the not so light Invacom. I used the support brackets off of the 3ABN dish, measured and attached them. Now the stock support arm of the Fortec Star can hold some more weight! The LNB on it now is one I am using for subscription on my D* setup at 118.8 W, a small very light universal DBS FSS LNB that is working better than the factory one on my D* 1000 +!

I just wanted to try my own setup on a bigger dish to see if I could get better signals and you bet ya! The only thing is now I have to be pointed at the FSS bird when channel changing on my 522 since it is off the 1000 right now and I do forget to point it there after watching FTA but I think I am going to leave the set up like this for awhile. I just wanted to show you guys my strange looking 80 CM Fortec dish now with support arms. After drilling and the modification the dish held to the arc! No adjustments needed after the mod! Now, I want to find a small universal linear LNB just for Hipasat since the Invacom needs to be switched to universal all the time for that bird. I suspect that a stand alone universal LNB would work better than the Invacom anyway for Hispasat 1C/1D.

Anybody working with a good universal LNB for suggestions just for 30.0 W? I would like to find one that is not as big as the Invacom, about the same size of the one here for FSS. I know someone has to make a small one and not like the old style tube mounts. I would like to find one kind of the same style as the universal circular I have mounted now. I would like to keep the linear LNB about the same size just for tweaking, and it stays away from the Invacom with room to move around to find sweet spots!

When the Orbsat universal DBS FSS LNB came here, I was at the dish for about 3 minutes attaching it and hit the bird dead on, first try with 96% signal and all channels are coming in great! I know the LNB bracket for the extra LNB looks strange but it works. I am going to get some brand new LNB holders soon to fix it up right! This wild mounting is just temporary! The Fortec Star looks weird now but you know how improving things and experimenting in this hobby will do to you! There is no cure for what disease we have!

Picture 1 before modification
Picture 2 after the side LNB support arms attached
Picture 3-4 with the new bracket mounted
Picture 5 with the new FSS LNB
Picture 6 looking down shot
Picture 7 the position
Picture 8 looking down the LNB arm
Picture 9 in front of dish after mount
Picture 10 more of a dish shot for focus look

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 233
  • S6306440.JPG
    S6306440.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 226
  • S6306442.JPG
    S6306442.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 206
  • S6306436.JPG
    S6306436.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 210
  • S6306432.JPG
    S6306432.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 229
  • S6306428.JPG
    S6306428.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 219
  • S6306424.JPG
    S6306424.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 228
Here's a nice little Universal, that's also inexpensive: SatAV Mini.

As for bracketry to hold the LNB, I found a suggestion by another member quite useful.
It's a conduit hanger bracket, or in my pictures, two of them.
Scroll up and down a few posts to get more info.
The way you are rigged, maybe just the one would hold an LNB for you.

I'm far more interested in your LNB support struts.
That is a good way to reinforce my old 90cm Fortec, and is the best part of your post! :D
I also have a 3ABN, so maybe I'll clone its arms and follow your lead. :eureka

Nice. Why not use the 3ABN dish or was it warped? Been too busy to open my 3ABN dish box, I want to replace my 80cm Fortec dish...if it's not warped.

No concord, Mother Nature decided that the 3ABN dish was not for me! I had it up after a couple weeks of problems seeing the arc then we finally got it dialed in! I had a storm come through and take it down for me! I was using new SAE replacement bolts instead of the stock metric BUT, before that wind storm forgot to put a SAE in the motor to hold it and it broke off in the wind that day!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...n-dish-back-fortec-star-80cm.html#post1350490

Concord, before you start to put that 3ABN up loose the Metric bolts and go to SAE! There is a list of parts on the threads just for that! I can’t remember where but I am sure that Anole or someone will post where to find that! That is a must for that dish. Just put the Metric bolts away from your setup so you don’t accidently grab a Metric in assembly!

Needless to say the arms were about the only thing on it that did not get bent! I was surprised that my Invacom survived a drop that high; it broke the LNB holder it was on when it hit the ground. Also, to tell you the truth I really did not see too much difference going to 90 CM from the Fortec 80. On the birds I watch 97, 101,123, Galaxy 27 KU there was not too much difference in signal quality just about 2 or 3 clicks higher. I found that when you get an 80 CM dialed in just right it is a great dish.

I want to add that putting a Fortec Star 80 CM dish up by the book is one thing that hindered me from the get go! Took me along time to figure out that the elevation markings stamped on the thing are not gospel and are off a bit! Guy’s here will tell you that. You just got to figure it out for yourself when setting up a Fortec Star Dish!

The 80 had been a good dish though, been through many storms, snow, rain and high winds. She is still performing like a brand new one! The Moteck motor has caught the winds stress so far with no problem and they have been up three years now!

Good luck putting that 3ABN up, shoot some pictures and post em! :D

Here's a nice little Universal, that's also inexpensive: SatAV Mini.
Thanks Anole,
I was looking at that little rascal a couple days ago! Looks like that is the one I am going to get. I was thinking like similar ideas of something from Lowes for a holder also to rig in there, your idea was Creative! :up
With the FSS LNB I would venture to think that it would not matter, lower or higher with the focus center like the Invacom, but I think if I use the universal linear for 30 West that I will have to have it the right height as the Invacom near center for focus. I need to measure a stock LNB holder and make one or just get one just for the universal linear.
Now was I right to think that one would work better than the Invacom for Hispasat?

I'm far more interested in your LNB support struts.
That is a good way to reinforce my old 90cm Fortec, and is the best part of your post! :D
I also have a 3ABN, so maybe I'll clone its arms and follow your lead. :eureka
Yeah after the 3ABN died and those were the only thing not bent up afterwards, I thought I would salvage them and use them! I painted them white to match the 80, and stuck them on! If you do it right you will not have to take the dish down for it. Having two bodies helps a lot in holding things in place while you drill holes and line the arms up on the dish. Here, you can see where the measure once, drill once theory comes very handy here! Once you make the hole, there is no going back!

You get them on that 90 Anole post the pictures, want to see em! :D

Kevin

You don't need a universal for Hispasat. Cubavision is there, and you can use a standard. Its confusing because the other satellite where Cubavision is, Intelsat 9, does need a universal.

I prefer standard LNBs wherever possible. This keeps the 22k switching option open :)

Thanks for the pictures FTABmanO..!
I find it amazing looking at the difference in size between the 2, as seen in the next to last picture. Simply astonishing.....

Thanks for the pictures FTABmanO..!
I find it amazing looking at the difference in size between the 2, as seen in the next to last picture. Simply astonishing.....

Your welcome voom!
When it came by USPS it was in a letter style package and when I got it out of the mail box I swore they got my order wrong! It was no heavier than a sat finder or a compass! I thought, man they got my order wrong and I have to send it back but was really amazed that it was the LNB I ordered! Knowing the FSS D* size and weight, yes I was truly amazed in size and weight. It outperforms the factory D* FSS LNB hands down, I don’t know because the dish size is bigger or it is a better LNB but I was impressed in difference in signal on my D* receiver! Just testing the coexisting of both the FTA equipment and the sub! I would bet that a 75 ft piece of coax weighs more than this LNB!

The only drawback is as I stated above, leaving the Fortec pointed at 118 when the D* 522 is on. I forget to move it there sometimes when on the sub, but I am getting used to it. The difference in signals are, the 1000+ FSS picks up 118 at around 80 to 85 % strength all the time due to the low to the ground mounting of the 1000 and small tree growth on the adjacent property, the Fortec is much higher on my outbuilding with open sky clear LOS and signals on the new LNB stay at 95 % in the D* receiver! Huge difference! :up

Here is a picture of the box it came in compared to a DVD case!

Thanks for the kind comment voom! :)

Kevin

Attachments

• S6306444.JPG
    S6306444.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 178
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)