fortec star lifetime ultra

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gabe33

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
I am new to this. I bought a fortec star lifetime ultra and I followed all the instructions, but it's not downloading. I get an error saying "Flash Update Fail..." I did see three green dots flashed across the receiver. I’m using the official Fortec loader and attempting to load the factory bin from the Fortec website.
Someone suggested that I try using Windows 2000 instead of windows XP since it's an older model ultra.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, can someone help please?

:confused:

I think so

How do I tell the difference between a straight cable and a null modem cable?
You are right that it takes a straight cable from what I have read.

Thanks

Null modem cable

If you bought it, the packaging would say so, but I assume that you didn't just buy it. Look at the writing on the cable, and it might say "null modem cable." These cables have the pins crossed inside so that you can directly connect to cable from device to device and use it. Kind of like an ethernet "crossover" cable used to connect two computers via ethernet. If you don't see a label on anything for it, I'm not too sure that you'll be able to determine that. The good news is that you can pick up straight cables relatively cheap if you look in the right places (ie: Discount computer part stores, Goodwill, etc...).

maybe he bought a box that use to have some "special" functions. I had a box that was like that. Bought it and the software was great for those people who are whining now because they lost their stolen TV but it sucked for legit FTA

Downloaded the newest factory and was good as new :)

I was thinking about this recently. The assumption is that there may be a glut of cheap FTA receivers on the market soon. I'd imagine for the most part that they can be restored to their original unhacked state, but I've heard of some modifications that could pooch the receiver for good :eek:

Buyer beware? or just a rumour?

I'll be buying my first receiver new, but if the price is right I could see myself picking up some used models possibly for myself or for my friends.

Very few things can permanently damage the receiver. It is possible that a firmware download or an interrupted download could disable the RS232 port. Satellite AV is a warranty repair center for Fortec and we find it very rare to have to replace and damaged electronic components.

Warning: Downloading any files (yes, even Factory files) will void your manufacturers warranty!

Have you unzipped the downloaded file before trying to load into the receiver? (You might laugh, but you wouldn't believe how many times we have for this to be the problem!) Have you selected the correct file to load? Selected the correct receiver model? Have your serial ports correctly selected and speed set to 115200? Selected Flash Rom File? Try having the receiver turned off with the rocker switch on the rear on the receiver, turn on the rocker switch then on the 3rd start-up bar on the receiver LED display, press download on the loader. You might try this several times before the transfer begins.

or ..... Google the process for J-Tagging your receiver. The parts will cost a few dollars and the software is readily available. You should be able to rescue all but the most severely firmware damaged receiver by loading a factory bin directly onto the flash chip. Since you do not have a warranty on this older used receiver, you don't have much to lose by trying the process and you will learn alot! Please notice that this process is not illegal, but it will void any warranty!

If you are uncomfortable with the process or don't have success ..... go to www.fortecstarrepair.com fill out the repair form and we should be able to resurrect your Ultra at a reasonable cost.

I want to be able to load channel lists and satelite locations as well as load the factory software on the machine. I have read in the archives about older Fortec Ultra receivers having communication problems. I guess this issue was fixed with the newer 2005 models. The guy I got this from said that I should try loading it with Windows 2000. I guess I can be a geek and run duel operating systems and see if that works. Has anyone Jtaged a receiver before to bring it back to life?:(

I recently bought a used Fortec Ultra for $30 that had some of that unmentionable firmware. It took the lastest factory firmware via the RS232 port. I had to flip the wires for pins 2 and 3 to make it a straight through cable. For some reason I had to do it twice and the 2nd time worked fine. It's a nice receiver.

Azel,

How do you go about flipping the wires to make it a straight through cable? Can anyone explain how to do this? Do you have to take the end of the cable off? The cable that the ultra came with will work with the coolsat I have, but I don't think the coolsat requires a straight through cable. This could be the problem.

I've attatched the download instructions from Fortec's website. For a lifetime ultra it says a "female-to-female 9-pin straight serial cable." Which Coolsat do you have? Via Coolsat's website, different model receivers have different cables. For example, the 4000 Plus uses a NULL cable and a 4000 Pro uses a straight cable. Hmmm...interesting.

Attachments

• DownloadInstructions.pdf
    590.9 KB · Views: 8,156
I flipped pins 2 &3 via the el cheapo method. In the middle of the cable i slit the outer insulation. Puled the wires out and found pin 2 &3 wires with a continuity check (piercing the individual wires with a sharp test probe). In my cable it was the green and black wires.

The coolsat that I have is a coolsat 5000 pro.

dashaund

The coolsat that I have is a coolsat 5000 pro.
Thanks for the instructions!

Coolsat 5000 Platinum oops

Coolsat 5000 Platinum ooops

gabe33 said:
I want to be able to load channel lists and satelite locations as well as load the factory software on the machine. I have read in the archives about older Fortec Ultra receivers having communication problems. I guess this issue was fixed with the newer 2005 models. The guy I got this from said that I should try loading it with Windows 2000. I guess I can be a geek and run duel operating systems and see if that works. Has anyone Jtaged a receiver before to bring it back to life?:(

We have Jtagged hundreds ..... Simple and quick ..... once you have done one or two. Often a different PC will work, but try selecting the "Download" during the receiver boot up.

****THE FOLLOWING IS NOT HACK TALK***

If you can't get the legit fortec loader to work, if you keep getting the "knight rider" syndrome, you can try the blacklist loader, I have heard it will load a bin even if nothing else works. u can find it on the web with a google search.

Just turn off the box and switch it back on, as soon as the first green bar appears hit upload and it should fix u up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts