Found a Birdview..Finally&Perfect 10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chefwan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
South Carolina
I've had an ad in the paper. for some while now, with tax season here I dont leave home much. busy filling out income tax's but anyway i got a call tonight about 9pm a guy is calling from Columbia SC. he tells me his dad has a big greyish birdview probably faded..i said you sure it's a birdview he says yep it says it in white writing ...I almost choked. i said to my self fred now i finally found one LOL...we was talking he has a old analog receiver also he will give me to haul off. and another guy of his dad's bud has a big dish a 12 ft perfect 10 he says i can have that lives next door with H-H mount on it? im like damn i wanted these to so i told him i may try to get sometimes even sunday to go down and look and possibly get them. i will have to take my truck and trailor down to pick um up. im not going to wrestle that birdview so ill have to take a friend with me to get them. im happy it made my day.:hungry:

Steven, you lucky "Gamecock"! You gotta be, as no "Tiger" could get their Claws into a sweet deal like that.... I look forward to reading about it in the Classifieds, since you seem to place something in there after you've tried it. My only Fear is the Birdview will be to Good for you to get rid of...? But, I've got my fingers crossed and I'm waiting "Impatiently"...

And... Oh Yeah, Congratulations!

now we got to find you one Al..there out there and it really amazed me they had a birdview in SC? i asked the guy again i said you sure its a birdview. nah if i ever get tired of it. which im sure i will not. i will let you be the first to take it off my hands free of charge.since im not paying ne thing for it. i dont have a roof like fred's so ill have to mount a pole somewhere . lol...i noticed the birdviews pipes are bigger or maybe the pictures make them look bigger than the other dish's like unimesh,perfect 10, paraclipse so on and on. i tell ya that paraclipse i have almost killed me when it fell that day when i tried to move it . it weights a ton lol..:rainbow

Steven, you lucky "Gamecock"! You gotta be, as no "Tiger" could get their Claws into a sweet deal like that.... I look forward to reading about it in the Classifieds, since you seem to place something in there after you've tried it. My only Fear is the Birdview will be to Good for you to get rid of...? But, I've got my fingers crossed and I'm waiting "Impatiently"...

And... Oh Yeah, Congratulations!

Hey Chefwan,

Nice find. Take two or three friends with you. The dish will need at least two people holding it while taking it loose from the mount. Six bolts at the top and six bolts at the bottom. Don't break the bolts off in the dish, there is no way to get inside to weld them back, and then you will need a Tig welder.

The mount will require two or three people to lift it off the pipe. It is heavy!!!

The pipe is really a tube and is 6" in diameter. The best bet would be to dig it out and take the concrete off and re-use it. You will need a big wrench to take the center bolt that comes down through the top of the cap off. The bolt is 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 I think. Can't remember right now.

Without that top bolt and the original pipe, you will have to do some fancy adapting. Because of the top bolt down design, the cap is very short and you will have trouble keeping the mount from moving if you don't use the original pipe.

Congratulations on finding one of the best dishes ever manufactured. :)

Thanks so much for the info. the guy is ready to get it out his yard he is giving me till monday afternoon to get it so i got to get it asap. ill get over saturday afternoon hopefully and get the dish and pole
the guy wants to rock it out with his truck. he doesnt want his yard dug up. so i asked if i could shovel dig around it atleast. he said that was alright.crazy people.

Hey Chefwan,

Nice find. Take two or three friends with you. The dish will need at least two people holding it while taking it loose from the mount. Six bolts at the top and six bolts at the bottom. Don't break the bolts off in the dish, there is no way to get inside to weld them back, and then you will need a Tig welder.

The mount will require two or three people to lift it off the pipe. It is heavy!!!

The pipe is really a tube and is 6" in diameter. The best bet would be to dig it out and take the concrete off and re-use it. You will need a big wrench to take the center bolt that comes down through the top of the cap off. The bolt is 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 I think. Can't remember right now.

Without that top bolt and the original pipe, you will have to do some fancy adapting. Because of the top bolt down design, the cap is very short and you will have trouble keeping the mount from moving if you don't use the original pipe.

Congratulations on finding one of the best dishes ever manufactured. :)

the guy wants to rock it out with his truck. he doesnt want his yard dug up.
All he will end up doing is destroying the tube.

As I said, it is a tube, thin wall about 1/8 - 3/16" thick. Not like schedule 40 pipe. It gets it's strength from it's diameter. But backing up to it with a truck bumper will just crush it.

If he will let you shovel dig around it, shovel it on one side, and try and rock it over to that side. You will need a half moon the size of the concrete, whatever size it is, but it might lay over then.

Edit: On second thought, if all else fails, take a sawz-all and cut it off at the base. At least you can salvage the part for the cap, and maybe weld a 5-5/8" pipe to the underside of the plate the bolt screws into. You will see what I am talking about after you get the mount off.

ok thanks so much

All he will end up doing is destroying the tube.

As I said, it is a tube, thin wall about 1/8 - 3/16" thick. Not like schedule 40 pipe. It gets it's strength from it's diameter. But backing up to it with a truck bumper will just crush it.

If he will let you shovel dig around it, shovel it on one side, and try and rock it over to that side. You will need a half moon the size of the concrete, whatever size it is, but it might lay over then.

Edit: On second thought, if all else fails, take a sawz-all and cut it off at the base. At least you can salvage the part for the cap, and maybe weld a 5-5/8" pipe to the underside of the plate the bolt screws into. You will see what I am talking about after you get the mount off.

Updated outcome very pissed

i went to get the dish today. to pick it up the guy is outside alright with a saw cutting the pole when i pull up. i walk over and he's like i about got it now, i said oh ok. that's cool i said me and my friends would like to take off the dish from the mount first if you dont mine he's like hang on ill have it down in a sec he hooks a chain to it and locks it around it a few times snatching it with his backhoe a few pulls it comes crashing down on the front load and bends the hell out of it? i look at him and say your a ****** idiot...and i just shook my head and i said lets go we came all the way here for you to destroy it. i said what a lazy*** we left....this guy was a few short of the deck . i could have socked him for that.first birdview i was excited. and now its just a blury image im pissed:confused: i guess that was it for me. im going to get this unimesh and call it quits for dish huntings.

first birdview i was excited. and now its just a blury image im pissed i guess that was it for me. im going to get this unimesh and call it quits for dish huntings.
That's a real shame!

I feel for you, but there are people who are like that, and you just have to keep your cool, and move on to the next one.

Don't let it get you down. There are plenty more where that one came from. You'll find one.

Fred

yeah, tell me about it i was highly pissed i wanted to sock um one. first birdview i've ever seen in person and it gets dented i swear when it hit that front end loader it wraped it . ahhhhhh. im hopeing to find another one. i might have to travel far tho.

Aw man, that totally *%#@'s. Sorry to here this chefwan. Maybe you'll be able to find another one? I've only seen one here, at a Motel close to downtown, and it has a heck of a dent in the side/edge of it. Looks like a Tractor Trailer rig might have backed into it. It really doesn't look so bad on the reflector as a whole, but that's something I would hate to find out after doing all the work of taking it down, moving it, and setting it back up. I've thought of getting it anyway, just for the H-H mount. Could probably rig another dish onto it. But, that's still a lot of work, and I'm not real fond of work. However, I do like a challenge from time to time..... maybe?

I hate that Chefwan,
just keep looking, some people just don't care, I've seen people abuse these
old boy's pretty bad

I was watching my perfect 10 out the window when Katrina came roaring through
over 100 mph I, could hardly bare to watch, to see it get destroyed.
But all was good, just needed a little retracking

Chefwan, what part of SC are you in? I'm in the upstate, never have seen a birdview, I am a mesh sami style fan myself here, but if you are in the upstate I see a lot of Channel Master 10ft black mesh dishes in lots of peoples yards...I am actually wanting another 10 footer myself just for FTA but the better half tends to disagree, we all know how that is.

Im From Barnwell SC ,30 Minutes From Aiken Sc.

Chefwan, what part of SC are you in? I'm in the upstate, never have seen a birdview, I am a mesh sami style fan myself here, but if you are in the upstate I see a lot of Channel Master 10ft black mesh dishes in lots of peoples yards...I am actually wanting another 10 footer myself just for FTA but the better half tends to disagree, we all know how that is.

lol i think i'd ran outside unbolt her and roll that baby inthe shed or garage lol

I hate that Chefwan,
just keep looking, some people just don't care, I've seen people abuse these
old boy's pretty bad

I was watching my perfect 10 out the window when Katrina came roaring through
over 100 mph I, could hardly bare to watch, to see it get destroyed.
But all was good, just needed a little retracking

i went and looked at the perfect 10,it's a gooseneck aka button hook. lol im going to get it . sometime this weekend.

i got the 10footer....it's not a unimesh either. i dont know what kind it is. i will get pictures of it tomorrow and post maybe u guys can tell what type it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)