Found a Sonicview 8000 for $25.00 at a Salvation Army store earlier today.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
Like the title says, score a used but not abused SV8000HD for $25.00.
Had no remote so I said what the heck, I have a remote at home since I already have an 8000 at home.

Turns out this was a hacked unit since it had fw 4.89. Tried to load the factory firmware via USB but it wont recognize any usb pen I have. In fact the same USB pen drive I use on my other SV8000HD didn't work. So I opened the case up and looks like the whole USB board is missing. So who ever had this unit messed around with it, so then again.. I only paid $25 for it so can't complaint.

Well I was able to load the factory firmware via null cable just fine, the only problem I am having is that although I loaded the factory .rom file the satellite list only shows Dish Network locations like 129 119 110 77 61 and I get a nagging alert about Network adapter not connected, something like that. So even tho I loaded the factory firmware it still looks hacked somewhat.

I did a factory reset and same deal. I thought by loading a factory file any FTA receiver goes back to factory defaults.

So 2 questions for anyone that knows what to do:

1) How can I get all the factory defaults and show all the USA satellites.
2) How can I load a channel list via null cable since my USB input is no good.

and again for $25.00 what can I expect ha, hehe

If you get sick of messing with it let me know...looking for something cheap like that to play around with.

hehe, well for now its staying with me. I am sure there are solutions to get this baby back to defaults.

I think

http://satellites-xml.eu/

I think you can go here and download a sat list, just make sure it's the correct format..

then use channel master from sonic's site to upload it back into the receiver using the cable...as it works with a cable..

they offer two different formats, xml like for a dreambox or ini for other receivers

ok, will try that. Thanks

I think it uses CSV

I think it uses csv file types, but easy work around you can download a channel list and then use the REAL channel master and convert it to a channel master file and you are in business..its pretty easy to convert it using

Channel Master 1.20.3

you can use it directly on the sonic...or use the factory version of channel master once you have converted it..

possibilities:

The "USB board" in the Visionsat IV-200 is not much more than a connector on a cable.
And it plugs into the main receiver board.
Since you have a second identical unit, it might be possible to make up your own USB connector cable, without too much trouble.
edit:
OR, use the cable out of the good receiver to help you debug the bad one...

As for the problem getting the hackware off it, that's a tough one.

he may have to reflash it

he may have to reflash it a couple of times to get that crap out of it. sounds like the his first attempt didn't get it...

he may have to reflash it a couple of times to get that crap out of it. sounds like the his first attempt didn't get it...

yea, keep asking for some network thing like every 5min or so. :rant:

Possible Answer

Could you load up my channel list via the null modem cable. This has all the satellites included plus my channel list. SV HD-8000 - - Once you save this file locally rename to FileName.bin

Attachments

• SV-HD-22MAR.txt
    327.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Sonicview offers a network adapter called the ihub. Not sure what legit use this is supposed to have. I don't have one and don't plan on getting one. I am using the latest factory firmware and it does say network adapter not found or something like that periodically.

Here is a SV version of my sat list
30-148 KU
72-139 C-Band

no channels in it but TP's are loaded

Attachments

• sonicview.zip
    2 KB · Views: 199
I wish my local SalArmy/Goodwill etc places would have FTA equipment. All we have here are Directv equipment (old stuff) but I did get 2 HD units that I can use for OTA for like 30 bucks so cant complain there :)

Here is a SV version of my sat list
30-148 KU
72-139 C-Band

no channels in it but TP's are loaded

Thanks will try that.

I wish my local SalArmy/Goodwill etc places would have FTA equipment. All we have here are Directv equipment (old stuff) but I did get 2 HD units that I can use for OTA for like 30 bucks so cant complain there :)

Yup, I was surprised to even see an FTA there. Too bad the remote was nowhere to be found. No biggie

Could you load up my channel list via the null modem cable. This has all the satellites included plus my channel list. SV HD-8000 - - Once you save this file locally rename to FileName.bin

Thanks I will take a look at it later on today

pro96

SV8000 HD requires a small stand alone USB board for its USB port to work. Its normally attached to the main board inside the case. Contact SV tech support for a replacement USB board, it shouldn't cost much, may be $5.

To cleanup your STB from piracy stuff, first google and use "SonicView SV-8000HD - System Clean File". Than you can use "SonicView SV-8000HD - Factory Reset" file. After that upload the latest factory firmware into the STB. The firmware itself doesn't replace many ROM files remaining from previous setups. Also, it seems to be reported all over the web about DN ECM in progress against pirated STBs including SV. To avoid complications, before attaching coax cable turn OFF LNB setting for each DN sat in Dish Setup Menu and Save. I assume, you don't need them anyway, since they were lately reported on this forum all encrypted. :)

Last edited:

All I find by me at thrift stores are old SD Direct tv receivers, nothing cool. Would be nice to find a Coolsat 8000 or something along those lines.

. Also, it seems to be reported all over the web about DN ECM in progress against pirated STBs including SV. To avoid complications, before attaching coax cable turn OFF LNB setting for each DN sat in Dish Setup Menu and Save. I assume, you don't need them anyway, since they were lately reported on this forum all encrypted. :)

um, last I checked a ECM didnt nuke the FTA boxes....It just scrambled the channels which are already scrambled as of a month or so ago

pro96

SV8000 HD requires a small stand alone USB board for its USB port to work. Its normally attached to the main board inside the case. Contact SV tech support for a replacement USB board, it shouldn't cost much, may be $5.

To cleanup your STB from piracy stuff, first google and use "SonicView SV-8000HD - System Clean File". Than you can use "SonicView SV-8000HD - Factory Reset" file. After that upload the latest factory firmware into the STB. The firmware itself doesn't replace many ROM files remaining from previous setups. Also, it seems to be reported all over the web about DN ECM in progress against pirated STBs including SV. To avoid complications, before attaching coax cable turn OFF LNB setting for each DN sat in Dish Setup Menu and Save. I assume, you don't need them anyway, since they were lately reported on this forum all encrypted. :)

Thanks for 411, I just emailed their support dept. Let's see how fast they respond.
Looks like they are in San Diego, so at least they are in CALI and not overseas hehe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)