Fox Blocks Millions of DISH Customers

Eventually one of these disputes will touch the customer who says "Oh I don't care, those channels don't affect me." It's only a matter of time. It happened to me numerous times when I was a Dish customer. At no point in time did I say to myself, "Gosh, that Dish Network Corporation sure does care about me, I bet they have my best interests at heart! God love 'em, they're doing us such a great service! God bless you, Dish Network!"

Reactions: pattykay
Maybe. But I have so much else to watch. They’d have to lose an awful lot of channels to greatly affect me.

OTOH, SWMBO might get a tad irked if the wife beater channels went away.....

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: Tampa8
"DISH offered a short-term contract extension to Fox that would include a retroactive true-up when new rates were agreed upon, and would preserve the ability of DISH customers to access the Fox stations while negotiations continued. The true-up would ensure that Fox was made whole at the new rates for the period of any contract extension.

"Fox had nothing to lose and consumers had everything to gain by leaving its channels up," said LeCuyer. "Instead, Fox chose to harm its own viewers."

If this is what was offered by Dish, then how can Fox not accept it so the viewers can continue to watch during negotiations.

Locally one of the PDX locals is fighting with ATT/Direct over channels and the crawl at the bottom of the screen says Direct turned off the signal, it is not Direct, or Dish, it is the provider who turns off the signal.

The law needs to be changed so the viewer is not the one losing in these negotiations.

Reactions: peggy97850
Well, this sucks for me. Big Ten channel, FS1, FS2 and Chicago Sports Network are all must haves in this household. I'll give it a week, next Thursday.. if everything isn't back on then looks like I'll have to go elsewhere, which I really don't want to. :( Most likely go back to Mediacom and their Tivo boxes. With that I won't be under a contract, so if Dish gets everything back later, I might be able to get a good offer to go back.

:sigh:

Reactions: pattykay
I am lucky to have a OTA to watch the few fox shows I watch-primarily NFL games. Will suck a bit for big ten network, but I will survive.

Unless I missed something or shows how much I really don’t watch our local fox, I did not see any warning scrolls or anything like that that usually happens when this is coming down the road

I am lucky to have a OTA to watch the few fox shows I watch-primarily NFL games. Will suck a bit for big ten network, but I will survive.

Unless I missed something or shows how much I really don’t watch our local fox, I did not see any warning scrolls or anything like that that usually happens when this is coming down the road

Same here. I get WJBK over the air quite well. Just killed the Regional Sports pack and I will do the same to the National Sports pack after college football is done. Just have Flex pack after that. Only way to send a message to these greedy conglomerates like Faux is to cancel their crap.

Reactions: pattykay and satjay
Pac12 has plenty of games on FS1 and O&O Fox networks.
Well yes there is that. A perfect example is USC at Washington this Saturday on the local Fox channel. I was pointing out that Pac12 has its own network. If this BS continues I can see them taking over all Pac 12 TV rights. Luckily for me I have an antenna that receives my local Fox station just fine. Not so lucky for the FS 1 games though.

I don't watch much locals and don't watch sports at all so not much of this affects me yet. I won't be real happy if FX goes dark but I have a bunch of other stuff to watch and primarily watch movies so I appreciate Dish trying to keep the increases to a minimum.

Dish is screwed. Tons of Big12, Pac12, and B1G fans will bolt.
To where, exactly? When Dish has a dispute people say viewers will "bolt" to DTV. When DTV has a dispute people say viewers will "bolt" to Dish. When they both have a dispute people will "bolt" to streaming. When streaming has a dispute, yada, yada, yada......... I've got news for you, the grass isn't greener anywhere, not anywhere, so pick your poison. The only fix for this is for Congress to change the law.

Well add this on to the list..I live in a city that has a Fox O&O so it’s gone. I also have DirecTV plus a good ota signal so I still have Fox. The other channels I don’t watch but for the members that do I can understand them being ticked off. Good for Dish standing up for this. The broadcasters are trying to gouge the pay tv providers for higher retrans fees to help offset lower advertising revenue.

Orby TV is right in not carrying Fox News as they want to make them carry the rest of Rupert’s networks all at a big price tag. Stand your ground Dish.

This a really DUMB move on Faux's part. All it does is accelerates the "cord cutting" and they lose more revenue than they gain in the price increases. Eventually they will be forced to put a lot of this programming on OTA subchannels, just so they won't lose the advertiser side of the revenue stream as well.

I guess you are okay with rising rates and forced bundling to increase Fox revenues. I am not. I am glad that Dish tries to negotiate better deals, I would hate it if they just agreed to every single rate increase proposed by every network, that would get REAL expensive really fast.

if this "theory" worked it would be great........but it doesn't Dish raises prices every year on everything
yet we continue to hear how they are fighting to keep the prices down

Eventually one of these disputes will touch the customer who says "Oh I don't care, those channels don't affect me." It's only a matter of time. It happened to me numerous times when I was a Dish customer. At no point in time did I say to myself, "Gosh, that Dish Network Corporation sure does care about me, I bet they have my best interests at heart! God love 'em, they're doing us such a great service! God bless you, Dish Network!"
Finally affected me. Was planning on watching a game Friday night on BIG10. So my reaction? I'll go to a bar or change my plans entirely and do something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)