Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
Hey Guys,
Its not all the time, seems that when there is a big game though, or a show that I really want to see or for God's Sakes the SIMPSONS, I get these sound dropout, BRRRP BRUUP, noises on FOX. I checked, it is on all of my boxes when it does happen. So, the question is, Is this a local FOX issue and I should contact them, or is it a D* thing. Anyone in Columbus or Central Ohio know what the heck I am talking about....Thanks
FlyingJ

its never been clear on exactly where the fault is but i too experienced this for almost 2 years with many channels. haven't seen it for the last 4 to 5 months. i read somewhere that some adjustments were made on D*'s behalf to improve the situation but it hasn't been completely eliminated. i believe you should contact both so that they are aware of the issue.

Yep.. I get the same thing sometimes.. Sundays seem to be the worst.. I get what I like to call a digital stutter in the audio.. So it's not you.. It's either DirecTV or the feed from 28 to DirecTV.. Last Sunday it was really bad.. So much so that eventually DirecTV cut the feed for a couple of minutes. Got the screen where they say "no need to call we're working on it." When it came back all was good.. Very annoying.. But at least you know now, you're not alone..

I have problems with FOX 26 out of Houston on DirecTV.
The audio problems have decreased, but sometimes the aspect ratio will suddenly go from 16:9 HD to a 4:3 non HD signal. It always seems to happen during a big sporting event like the World Series or an NFL playoff game, it's aggravating to say the least. Calling DirecTV gets me the "it must be the station feed" answer.

Thank goodness I can get the FOX 19 HD signal with my OTA antenna. Most of the time I give up on Fox 26 as soon as the audio/picture problems appear and go to the local OTA feed.

It's the Fox feed. There are problems with the AC3 (Dolby Digital) feed from many stations, A post with an e-mail from one Fox station engineer estimated about a third of the Fox affiliates were having this problem. He said he had found multiple issues in the audio feed system at the station, although the affiliates had some identical equipment that was causing many of the issues.
Call or e-mail your local Fox affiliate and tell them about the problem. The faults in the AC3 feed (missing/duplicated/corrupted frames) is screwing up the DirecTV transcoders that convert MPEG-2/AC3 from the station to MPEG-4/AC3 for satellite transmission.
The "16:9 to 4:3" issue is definitely a problem at the station, by the way. Sometimes it's an accident, sometimes the station will deliberately go to 4:3 because they are having problems with the HD system.

Good to know I am not alone on this....sometimes I need to mute the dame thing and just turn on the captioning. Thanks guys, i will update if I get any response.

I get the Columbus Fox channel and I get the same thing. Always seems to happen when when of my shows is on! When it's just casual viewing of reruns it works great! :-(. I have called and complained several times but never get a follow up from DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts